• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park carry

Yooper

imported post

On Feb 22, we will be able to carry in the National Park system, which here in Michigan includes: Isle Royale NP, Keweenaw NHP, Motor Cities NHA, North Country NST, Pictured Rocks NL, and Sleeping Bear Dunes NL.

this link highlights the questions asked about what constitutes a "Federal Facility". Hopefully they'll get it all figured out....

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...pe-guns-change-national-parks-february-225345

Yooper

lil_freak_66

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Yeah, the second I enter the UP I get skeptikal of wandering around the woods unarmed.

ive had more problems with bears in the LP than bears in the UP.

the past 9 months or so ive been noticing bear signs closer and closer to my cabin up in presquie isle county. its to within 50 yards of the cabin and 5th wheel now.

according to my uncle that lives bout 1/4 mile away,he thinks its sow and 2 cub.

hopefully ill get some pics of them this spring,or this month if theyre out,though doubtful.

i wont go out in the woods unarmed anywhere more north than the gladwin area.

whenever im in theUP i carry a shotgun or rifle,july 09 i switched back and forth with my mother between the 870 and the mosin,when we were in the hiawatha,bout half hour out of manistique.its the only time ive ever seen her willingly handlea loaded weapon,she is deathly afraid of bears,especially after having one walk through the small primitive camp we had setup.

but yeah,i cant wait for national park carry,ive not had the chance to be to a NP in awhile,but if i go to one thats in predatory/aggressive animal country id like to be able to carry.

anybody know if theyre going to allow long arms too? or just handguns,there is probably some concern over poaching still,as it is my understanding that poaching is the original reason behind the no carry thing.

Yooper

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
anybody know if theyre going to allow long arms too? or just handguns,there is probably some concern over poaching still,as it is my understanding that poaching is the original reason behind the no carry thing.

The parks will follow whatever the laws of the state are. So if OC is legal in the state, it will be legal in the NP, if longgun carry is legal in the state, it will be legal in the NP. Basically, the NPS is being forced to follow state law, much like the U.S. Forest Service (National Forests) have done forever on their own.

lil_freak_66

imported post

yeah i love the hiawatha,being able to carry there made me feel alot safer.

now we can feel safer even more places!

now to work on national OC and CC.....with complete national preemption

and no pfz's

im glad to see carry restrictions start to go away

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

From the article Yooper provided:

Foisted upon the National Park Service in a most curious way -- attached as an amendment to legislation that had nothing to do with national parks but everything to do with addressing credit cards -- the legislation has kept Park Service staff meeting for months on how to clear the way for park visitors to carry not just concealed weapons if they hold the requisite permits, but to openly carry rifles and shotguns.

Yooper

imported post

I love it, the Brady Campaign couldn't leave the change in place that would have allowed CC only. So they get a judge to rule that it wasn't allowed because an environmental study hadn't been done. (which has NOTHING to do with carrying firearms).

So, instead they get a LAW that states that, instead of handgun CC only, it states that OC is legal for handguns, rifles, shotguns in addition to CC....gotta love it!

T Vance

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
the past 9 months or so ive been noticing bear signs closer and closer to my cabin up in presquie isle county. its to within 50 yards of the cabin and 5th wheel now.

Where abouts in Presque Isle County? My family has a cottage just north of Alpena on Long Lake.

I have seen fresh bear tracks just south of Rogers City walking around Thompson Harbor state land.

lil_freak_66

imported post

onaway,bout 10 miles south-south east of town.

we own 40 acres,and my uncle owns an additional 30 on the westneighboring parcel,and a family that has been friends with my family for over 100 years on the east side.

to the south is more of the other families property and then unused state land,and a few miles into the state land is my great aunts 20 acres.

real nice spot for hunting and camping,shooting too,i first fired a gun up there,my 16 ga. remington 870,when i was 6,the thing stood taller than i was,and it still goes up to my shoulder almost.

we got a few acres dedicated to crops too,just enough to support us for hunting season up there.

i fish and swim in rogers city all the time,right next to the marina.

though i prefer going to ocqueoc(sp?) falls.

you have me on facebook,i have a few photos from up there in my photography section.

its also where my now-exshot my boot while my foot was in it.

Bailenforcer

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Yeah, the second I enter the UP I get skeptikal of wandering around the woods unarmed.

ive had more problems with bears in the LP than bears in the UP.

according to my uncle that lives bout 1/4 mile away,he thinks its sow and 2 cub.

hopefully ill get some pics of them this spring,or this month if theyre out,though doubtful.

i wont go out in the woods unarmed anywhere more north than the gladwin area.

whenever im in theUP i carry a shotgun or rifle,july 09 i switched back and forth with my mother between the 870 and the mosin,when we were in the hiawatha,bout half hour out of manistique.its the only time ive ever seen her willingly handlea loaded weapon,she is deathly afraid of bears,especially after having one walk through the small primitive camp we had setup.

but yeah,i cant wait for national park carry,ive not had the chance to be to a NP in awhile,but if i go to one thats in predatory/aggressive animal country id like to be able to carry.

Living in the Mackinac State forest which is the area of I-75 to US 131 south of Petoskey to M-32 I have encountered numerous bear, but more distressing are the large packs of Coyote that traverse this area. Not to mention wild dogs and drunken snowmobilers who want to pack up on a single person in the woods and beat the crap out of him because they can get away with it. Five years ago I had such an incident, parked on a seasonal road late November Deer hunting I was walking out of the woods and 9 snowmobiles came up and stopped when they saw me. The head GOON yells explitives at me for " driving on a dedicated snow mobile trail" I politely informed him that in fact it is a county road and we who live here use it to get back and forth. I was informed by the GOON I was about to get the worst a$$ beating of my life and his 6 buddies who stood behind him agreed. I advised him it was an ill informed decision on his part to commit a felonious assault on someone who was carrying an AR 15 Hbar. Suddenly the alcohol wasn't incontrol of his senses and they all left. 20 minutes later I ran into a man who was running his 2 beagles and found ou the idiots on snowmobiles tried to run him and his dogs over till he produced a shotgun and fired at one of them. Suddenly they decided it was time to leave. Thank God no one was hurt, and I never saw them again. I suspect they packed up and drove back down state where it was safer to be morons.

I don't concern myself with the bears as much as the morons, but anyone walking the woods around here with no gun is quite a fool. Have you ever seen a really pissed off Elk? I have and it isn't a pretty sight.

Frankly I trust a man who is honest and smart enough to carry open or concealed as for me he shows some integrity and is obviously in control of his common sense.