• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Filing a theft report?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I would like to file a theft report against Seattle Police Department. Can someone direct me to exactly what I need to do to go about this?

I suppose I should add that after bnearly a year of being denied my right to CC legally because I dont have the permit in hand, it has run its course with me. My permit is active (I have confirmed this), but not in hand.

Batousaii

imported post

Might simply try small claims first. Maximum amount ($5,000 i believe) plus return of your permit. Be sure to invite a lot of media. since the prosecutor is city/county paid, filing theft against them might be difficult, however a small claims is cheap and easy to file, and you can easily represent yourself. The 5k claim for loss of property (and liberty being in a shall issue state) might be a very big tap on the shoulder for the precinct.

- Just an idea.

;)Bat

p2a1x7

imported post

I don't know much about small claims court, but I would not do a claim for $5000. It's the maximum amount, but you would not win anything more than what is reasonable.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I sorta got the sence that I had to file the case in Federal court. There is nothing holding up my property being returned other than the officer who releases the property for some reason refuses to return my messsages that I leave everyday, and never answers his desk phone.

I am trying to not be a complete B.... about this, but I seriously need to move on with my life, and this is holding me up from doing so.

j2l3

imported post

Interim Chief John Diaz
(206)684-5577 | Chief's webpage

Office of Professional Accountability (OPA)

WHAT IS THE OPA?
Dots.gif

The Office of Professional Accountability is the office within the Seattle Police Department that receives and investigates complaints about police misconduct. The office is headed by a civilian.

Its mission is to provide for civilian oversight of the complaint process; to promote public awareness of and full access to that process; and to advance reforms that increase police accountability by the Seattle Police Department.

OPA has adopted the Code of Ethics approved during the September 2006 meeting of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement.
The code can be accessed at: http://www.nacole.org

COMMUNITY FORUMS
Dots.gif

The OPA holds community forums to encourage dialog about the complaint process at SPD. The OPA Director and members of the Investigation Section meet with community members to talk about the types of complaints OPA investigates and tell you more about the process. These forums are also an opportunity for the OPA to listen to your concerns or suggestions.

Please contact the OPA at(206) 615-1566or via e-mail if you'd like to schedule a presentation for your group or organization.

OPA brochures are also available at the following locations:

• Mayor's Office, City of Seattle,
    7th floor Seattle City Hall
  • City Council Lobby, 2nd Floor Seattle City Hall
  • Seattle Police Department Precincts:
    • North - 10049 College Way N.
    • West - 810 Virginia St.
    • East -1519 12th Ave.
    • South - 3001 S. Myrtle St.
    • Southwest - 2300 SW Webster.
  • Neighborhood Service Centers - 13 locations
  • Seattle Office for Civil Rights,
    700 3rd Ave., Suite 250
  • ACLU, Seattle office -705 2nd Ave.
DIRECTOR:
Dots170.gif

Kathryn Olson[more]
Dots170.gif

Email the OPA at opa@seattle.gov
Phone: (206) 615-1566
Fax: (206) 233-7907

OPA Director
Police Headquarters
P.O. Box 34986
Seattle, WA 98124

To file a complaint:
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue
Suite 1640
Seattle, WA 98104

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

j2l3:

I contacted them. They returned my call and told me that it takes a long time to close a case on the PD end, because it is not a priority. The prosecutors office sent their determination back to SPD saying that they are NOT going to pursue charges.

Whether the case is closed on the PD end or not, there has been a prosecutorial determination made, so I am not sure what the hold-up is other than they are just making the decision to not return my property just because.

j2l3

imported post

Have you called Chief Diaz directly and asked for help? He wants to be named permanent Chief and may be open to listening and helping you.

The officer that is ignoring you has a supervisor. Have you demanded to speak to this person?

Don't get me wrong, I have been following your issue and believe you have done more than you should have to.

I'm just trying to think of something else that you might have missed.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Short answer is you can't. If you have any action against them it would be civil, not criminal.

They are not going to take a theft report with themselves as the "suspect", and no other agency is going to take it either.

I remember your other thread about what has gone on, my suggestion would be to go down in person and not leave until you talk to someone high enough up the food chain to give you a definitive answer to what has happened to your CPL. Any point where the person hits a dead end, the magic words for you to say are "Ok, then I need to speak to your supervisor please".

If whatever case they were working is over and done and they can't lay their hands on it, get something on letterhead saying it was misplaced, lost or stolen while they had it. Get a name and a phone number for contact on the same letter and then go and see about getting a replacement.

Your other thread mentioned them having a gun of yours as well. Has that been returned?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Your other thread mentioned them having a gun of yours as well. Has that been returned?

CC permit, holster, and handgun are all sitting at the SPD property unit. I have called the property unit, and the desk person confirmed that the property isthere. The investigating officer who I have been trying to contact for nearly 3 months has not sent them a release of property. I understand that they have a backlog, but then again, that shouldn't be my problem.

:celebrate<---------this bananna BTW is dancing at the same beat as Willie Nelson "All Of Me," which I am currenttly listening to on the Classic Country station.

tyguy808

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
:celebrate<---------this bananna BTW is dancing at the same beat as Willie Nelson "All Of Me," which I am currenttly listening to on the Classic Country station.

I think that dancing banana is so fantastic!!!! It makes my day to see it! :celebrate

BTW, I'm not "slow", I just dig it!

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
911Boss wrote:

CC permit, holster, and handgun are all sitting at the SPD property unit. I have called the property unit, and the desk person confirmed that the property isthere. The investigating officer who I have been trying to contact for nearly 3 months has not sent them a release of property. I understand that they have a backlog, but then again, that shouldn't be my problem.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to make yourself enough of a nuisance to make it important to them to take care of the matter. They should be able to tell you his shift/hours. If he isn't getting back to you, go over his head. Make complaints, see if they have an ombudsman or some such thing. Complain to internal investigations. Over the phone, in person, etc.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
911Boss wrote:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to make yourself enough of a nuisance to make it important to them to take care of the matter. They should be able to tell you his shift/hours. If he isn't getting back to you, go over his head. Make complaints, see if they have an ombudsman or some such thing. Complain to internal investigations. Over the phone, in person, etc.
I contacted and left a message for the Lt. over the officer. I am going to do a few other things, and just keep contacting them every day, throughout the day, until I get someone back to me.

Heck, maybe they are going to try and continue to investigate...I am not sure what that would accomplish, but maybe that is what they are doing which is why they aren't getting back to me.

jarhead1911A

imported post

Get a lawyer to send a letter stating that if they do not release your property to you like yesterday then you will follow suit to recover from lost property and damages and you will bring the media in on it.

Lets face it in some cases, the threat of force is far more useful than the force itself. besides SPD dosnt need any bad publicity at this point in the game.

Just my 2 cents

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
deanf wrote:
Why not just apply for a replacement? It seems you're not prohibited. Should be easy.
They have the gun, too

*edit* too slow
What does that have to do with getting a replacement CPL?

It has to do with the OP wanting to file a theft report, which is what this thread is about.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
deanf wrote:
Why not just apply for a replacement? It seems you're not prohibited. Should be easy.
They have the gun, too

*edit* too slow
What does that have to do with getting a replacement CPL?

It has to do with the OP wanting to file a theft report, which is what this thread is about.

Do Both! Nothing prevents you from doing both, in addition filing a theft report against a municipal entity is not the proper procedure. The SPD did not steal the firearm, CPL or anything else. I agree that going to the SPD, courts and staying all day continuing to speak to supervisor's over and over is a good start.