• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada and Wyoming Open Carry.

HahnsXD

imported post

Hello all, new here!

A friend and I will be taking a road trip to Yellowstone in a few months and will be driving through Nevada and of course Wyoming, states that my Current WA CPL and soon to have OR CHL do not cover. From what I gather OC is legal to non CWP holders in both states, I also assume I shouldn't let a jacket/shirt even partially cover my weapon at any point while in NV/WY. My main concern is carrying in my truck, and the requirement that it must be "clearly visible" so OWB at 3:00 probably wouldn't be very visible from a cop's POV looking in through the window, would it? Will I be pretty much forced to leave my weapon on the dash? That sound's very inconvenient as any of you would know if you've visited Yellowstone, you're constantly stopping to get out of the vehicle and look at something amazing, sounds like a lot of holstering and un-holstering..

Thanks to any light you guys may be able to shed on this subject.

Of course I'll be traveling partially through Cali as well but will probably not even bother with trying to carry there...

mikegevas

imported post

I can only speak to Nevada. Nevada is a safe passage state. Without a valid CCW permit you may not carry a loaded gun concealed upon your person. Open carry is not prohibited by state law but some counties and most of the larger cities have laws prohibiting it. A weapon (gun) can be carried, loaded in your auto, open or concealed as long as it is not worn on your person. Under the seat, glove box, etc. is fine. As with all advice you should check for yourself, all Nevada Sheriff's offices will be helpfull in this query. Nevada is a gun friendly state with Clark County (Las Vegas) being the least so. A Utah or Florida CCW is recognized in Nevada.

gunrunner1911

imported post

Please check the NRS Statutes directly. 202.3673 202.3667 202.350 202.320

UT/FL no longer accepted in NV. The open carry of firearms is allowed by anyone who is legally able to have the firearm. Handguns in vehicles may be carried loaded anywhere except CONCEALED on the person or in personal carry item purse briefcase or backpack on the person. I would advise if carrying in a personal bag to have it out of your control or reach. It is not about having it visible as it is about concealing on the person and the car is treated as a residence in NV. Think of the glove box as a nightstand. Long guns must be unloaded definition is no round in the firing chamber. Fully loaded mag inserted in the AR no rnd chambered is UNloaded. No county or city may make gun law. All laws must come in line with state law unless specifically exempted. IE Clark County has registration. Any law on open carry being banned is unenforcible under the preemption law. Cities and counties can only regulate discharge of firearms.

Your on your own for Wyoming. Try handgunlaw.us to answer questions.

MatieA

imported post

There are 0 laws in Wyoming as concerns open carry. Wyoming has complete preemption on gun laws so towns cannot make their own laws. There is no law in Wyoming for vehicle carry, except as pertains to it being on your person concealed without a valid permit. Your Wa permit (as you already know) will not be valid, so be sure to carry openly and enjoy your trip.

edited for spelling ;)

HahnsXD

imported post

gunrunner1911 wrote:
Please check the NRS Statutes directly. 202.3673 202.3667 202.350 202.320

UT/FL no longer accepted in NV. The open carry of firearms is allowed by anyone who is legally able to have the firearm. Handguns in vehicles may be carried loaded anywhere except CONCEALED on the person or in personal carry item purse briefcase or backpack on the person. I would advise if carrying in a personal bag to have it out of your control or reach. It is not about having it visible as it is about concealing on the person and the car is treated as a residence in NV. Think of the glove box as a nightstand. Long guns must be unloaded definition is no round in the firing chamber. Fully loaded mag inserted in the AR no rnd chambered is UNloaded. No county or city may make gun law. All laws must come in line with state law unless specifically exempted. IE Clark County has registration. Any law on open carry being banned is unenforcible under the preemption law. Cities and counties can only regulate discharge of firearms.

Your on your own for Wyoming. Try handgunlaw.us to answer questions.
So it's no problem to leave my gun in the center console or glovebox? Nice.

There are 0 laws in Wyoming as concerns open carry. Wyoming has complete preemption on gun laws so towns cannot make their own laws. There is no law in Wyoming for vehicle carry, except as pertains to it being on your person concealed without a valid permit. Your Wa permit (as you already know) will not be valid, so be sure to carry openly and enjoy your trip.
So the same thing as NV then? Carry a loaded gun open or concealed in my truck, just not on my person?
Thanks

Vegassteve

imported post

mikegevas wrote:
I can only speak to Nevada. Nevada is a safe passage state. Without a valid CCW permit you may not carry a loaded gun concealed upon your person. Open carry is not prohibited by state law but some counties and most of the larger cities have laws prohibiting it. A weapon (gun) can be carried, loaded in your auto, open or concealed as long as it is not worn on your person. Under the seat, glove box, etc. is fine. As with all advice you should check for yourself, all Nevada Sheriff's offices will be helpfull in this query. Nevada is a gun friendly state with Clark County (Las Vegas) being the least so. A Utah or Florida CCW is recognized in Nevada.
You do not know shit about NV. No county or large city has any law against OC.

45 ACP rocks

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
mikegevas wrote:
Open carry is not prohibited by state law but some counties and most of the larger cities have laws prohibiting it.
How did Nevada get gold star statuts on the state maps? Where did the above come from? Please post a citation to law to back up your incorrect statement.
I think mikegevas is just behind the times, is all. The state legislation that pre-empted and banned all local laws is only a couple of years old.

Some counties still have local ordinances on their books, but they are not enforceable; e.g., the city of North Las Vegas where I live. Eventually they will all get around to getting their ordinances in line.