• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OFA (oregonconcealedcarry dot com) = SALES PITCH

We-the-People

imported post

While there is some good info to be found if you dig, in my opinionthe oregonconcealedcarry.com website is nothing more than a forum for advertising overpriced "training" at Oregon Firearms Academy (OFA).

THIS forum actually helps folks, diseminates information, and IF training is needed, it's usually suggested. On that OTHER site, it doesn't seem to matter what the topic is, one or another (one in particular) posters seem to be harping on the "necessity" of going to their (OFA) facility to spend a few hundred bucks for some allegedly super duper class.

Oh, and open carry is definitely persona non grata there.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

Not trying to bash but 've got to call it like I see it and I'd hate for a newb to twisted up over there.

GSXRrider

imported post

I spend time looking on there, some posts. But yes, I agree, they are pretty unfriendly for OC (I don't OC, but often think about it). And yes, there are a couple people on there who like to tell you to get training (from their company). It's quite annoying.

We-the-People

imported post

My understanding is that OFA bought the site and basically uses it to promote their facility. Nothing wrong with that but jiminy crickets.....it would be a lot less abrasive, therefore probably more effective, if it were a bit less "in your face".

The attitude from "the few" is more like telling everyone that they're stupid for not coming to THEIR facility an dropping hundreds of bucks on their civillian training or listening to some lawyer that they have on the payroll to "explain" Oregon firearms laws. Considering how simple Oregon law is, a lawyer really isn't needed by the majority of folks in order to abide by the law. Now if one becomes the victim of unlawful activities by government agents, yup, then ya need a lawyer.

Personally, my past experiences with people who talk like that verifies the adage "those that can do, those that can't teach".

Know what I mean?

GSXRrider

imported post

Yes, I agree that almost every post has some followup comment with something like "you should take a class at OFA, because you would know the answer" I took a 5 hour class on concealed carry, I can't afford much more than that. It's impossible to go over every single scenario, and they act like their class will give you every answer. If it were possible to go over every scenario, you wouldn't be able to remember them. This is why we have forums, so people can ask questions, get an opinion. Why have the forum if you're just going to get put down for asking something?

Prophetmatt

imported post

It's funny I was just thinking about this the last time I checked out the forum there. Every Topic always comes down to a guy named "thunder" telling you why the only way to every really know anything about guns in Oregon is to go and take a class with him.

We-the-People

imported post

It's a shame that site isn't a bit more like this one although geared to the Oregon concealed carry issue. There certainly are a few issues and a lot of information that could be passed on.

I remember reading one of the "sales pitch" replies saying basically: It would be irresponsible to give out information on this site, that's why people need to come to one of OUR classes.

I don't waste my time there any more.

Ironbar

imported post

Judging by the fact that there's only a bare handful of active posters on the entire forum, it seems the truth is there for all to see.

mlacey56

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
Judging by the fact that there's only a bare handful of active posters on the entire forum, it seems the truth is there for all to see.

Ouch. But oh so true.:cuss:

Ruger9mm

imported post

Dusty, Not trying to pick a fight here but if you know the owners of OFA you might tell them that a handful of their "Red shirt's" are driving away potential customers. I was interested in a few of the classes but if "Thunder's" attitude is ANY indication of the treatment I can expect during a class I'll pass. I have been carrying for almost 20 years and while I'll never claim to know everything and will always be willing to learn something new I don't need attitude like his.

Dusty

imported post

You must of misunderstood my post. I was simply referring to the comment you made about a lack of active posters on the forum, I don;t even know who OFA is. I've been carrying close to 40 yrs now. But I don't get on these forums very much.

Ruger9mm

imported post

I did misunderstand. I thought you meant you were from oregonconcealedcarry.com and that you also monitored this forum. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Orygunner

imported post

After struggling with Thunder on multiple arguments over there at Oregon Concealed Carry, and other research I've done, here's my $.02.

First, in my opinion, Thunder over there is an a**hole. He may have years of training and instructing, and even be part owner in a tactical security business, but he's an A-#1 Jerk. When we got into an argument about following the law, he demanded I be accountable for what I was posting on a public forum by providing my real name. When I refused, he searched and FOUND my Facebook profile and posted my picture and real name up in the public forum. I posted a picture of a douche bag up to return the favor, and asked the moderator to remove his BS (which was thankfully taken down, but he still occasionally mentions my real name).

One thing I've realized is that real, live training IS important. There's only so much you can read or learn from watching videos. Actual, live training with a knowledgeable instructor can correct critical mistakes and teach things you just can't learn (or would take much more time to learn) by self-teaching.

However, there are some things that can be learned just as easily in person or from reading, such as laws and regulations, technical information, etc.

While I've come to the understanding that techniques and skill building is definitely better taught by a good instructor, their constant answer over there at OCC that you have to come to training to understand anything gets really tiresome. That and Thunder's attitude makes me either want to avoid OFA like the plague, OR go there to actually see if they're full of crap or not.

One of these days maybe I'll scrape together the $100 for their 8 hour class and go, just to see... They (and others on the board that have taken it) keep saying you won't understand unless you have the training, so maybe that's what I need to do, just to give an objective view as to whether they're telling the truth, or they're full of crap. It actually is a good value for the money $100 for an 8 hour class).

In the meantime, I still stay somewhat active on their forums and try to provide the answers that they are hesitant to. I figure somebody's got to do it :)

...Orygunner...

We-the-People

imported post

I've just given up on them. They don't care what the law says, have no commitment to help gun owners (other than to help lighten their wallets).

They probably think the incident in Medford of the police taking the SWAT team to a guys house because he bought some firearms is just good "proactive police work".