• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peoples Opinions

porterc

imported post

So, I spent the whole day today doing my honey-do's with my XD 40 on my hip. Went to Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Conoco, Safeway, the local Chinese Restr. and not a sole even looked at me funny. But I did notice a few wanta be gang bangers did'nt stick around very long when I went to pay for my gas. All in all, a great day to OC.

Just as a side note. I had asked a few people the night before how they perceived people with guns. And wow was I surprised how most of the people around herefeel. EVERYONE I spoke too believed in less gun control. Maybe it's because I live in a small town, or maybe the crimes that have been comitted here have made a big impact on their lives. Even the city LEO agreed "open carry should beexercised more often by responsable citizens".

I would have to admit, I have always been concerned about othersreactionswhen they see me. But now my mind has been set at ease a little. None the less, I feelmore relaxed when I OC, and I hope others will to.;)

cscitney87

imported post

I see the gangbangers look when I walk into the gas station. Seems like lately only the thugz notice the gun anyway. Funny- sometimes you can judge a persons character by their reaction to your OC.

Here in Lakewood we have support. It seems to be a non issue and right now that's great. I never spoke to a city LEO, but they are everywhere around here. I did contact the head city attorney of Lakewood. I asked her about carrying and she politely responded and even laid out a reasonale response when aproached by her police department. Very positive response and I try to keep a copy of the letter with me when I carry just for the sake of it.

I do feel concearned about people around me when I carry so I feel you on that. I often don't carry into private businesses if I don't know the owner personally or manager personally. I almost Never carry into a place if it's my first time, unless it's a chain. Sometimes, I just don't feel like carrying at all- Walmart, KingSoopers, Blockbuster, wherever. I knowingly expose myself to risk and expose my weapon to theft- but sometimes I just don't feel like carrying.

I'm not sure if I'm like you or anyone else around town, but yeah, I admit that I don't carry all the time. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't because of the way I feel from time to time about the entire issue. It's personal to me but I do feel like I share the struggle inside with a few of us here.

I haven't ever spent time with anyone else carrying except a few times my girl carries openly with me but that's basically outside in the countryside. I bet I would feel 1000% better if I actually saw someone else carrying openly, in real life. I feel like a lone ranger OCing sometimes but I always have this board to come back to and posts like this. I'm glad you're carrying man because you could be that guy I see that makes me feel better. I could be the guy You see just when you were starting to feel a little funny

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

It's funny how often we'll hear the old myth about OC'ers being the first target in a crime event. In my experience, and that of nearly every other OC'ers I've spoken with just the opposite it true: would-be thugs take notice and leave to find a softer target.

Yet the myth keeps getting repeated - even heard it from my father recently. Oh well....

Suburban78

imported post

I wish I spent more time in Lakewood because I'm sure we would bump into eachother often. I OC everyday everywhere I go. I'm waiting for my CCW but even then I will OC everywhere eveyday. It will be nice to stay armed in Denver and that's the main reason for getting the CCW. I get mostly good comments when out and about. To the question "Do you dress better when carrying"? I personaly always wear a collar shirt and jeans and a belt. I keep a military aperance at all times and maybe that helps with peoples perceptions. I have noticed I get many more people looking at me now since I'm carrying my new XD.45 in a blackhawk CQC and seems to draw more looks then my S&W 6906 in a brown leather retention holster. But still no bad reactions from people, mostly comments on my pistol and meany ask, What is that? Carry on, Carry proud.
To those who say that OC makes you the first target, I feel that is crazzy. I too have had people of questionable intent walk in a store and see me in line and walk right back out. Same goes for the little ganbangers who think they are so tuff standing outside the sonic and get up and leave as soon as they see me coming. I love that reaction, tells my that what we are doing by OC'ing is working and it dose make a differance.

Spelling Edit

cscitney87

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
I too have had people of qestionable intent walk in a store and see me in line and walk right back out. Same goes for the little ganbangers who think they are so tuff standing outside the sonic and get up and leave as soon as they see me coming. I love that reaction, tells my that what we are doing by OC'ing is working and it dose make a differance.
you stole the words right out of my mouth. Owners and managers notice too. OP- most of us have made real good friends with owners/managers because they notice the above mentioned reaction. Owners eat that up. My local gas station owner is a great guy and I feel so much more respected by him because I carry. I can just tell he's loving that I carry in his store. Likewise for a few other local business- you get the drift OP.

FogRider

imported post

I've noticed that very few people notice that I'm carrying. It seems to be about a 50/50 split on if they like/dislike me carrying. And I'll add another to the "only the questionable looking folks dislike it" list. It was asked if I alter my appearance when I OC, and the answer to that is no. But I generally don't look very scruffy to begin with.

Diocoles

imported post

Nice thing about having your CCW.

You can obviously carry open, but with a coat on, you are carrying concealed.

Take the coat off and you're open carrying.

Both are legal whileyou have your CCW.

:D

bomber

imported post

porterc wrote:
Does anyone focus a little more on their personal apperance when OC. So as not to look like a crazy.
i don't.

Pace

imported post

Personally I do care, but I also speak and write about this subject, plus am an executive in a company... where I wear jeans, nevertheless.

Suburban78

imported post

Opinions are like A$$ HOLES, They all stink! LOL
Just thought I would throw that out. I have come to respect the opinions of MOST everyone that post here and have made a few friends along the way.

mahkagari

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Rarely I will feel the urge to take off my backwards hat. Usually only in classy company.

Genuine question, what's the point of a backwards hat? The brim won't keep the sun or brass out of your eyes and ball caps aren't great for keeping your head warm. Is it to prevent infamous "redneck" sunburn? :p I generally wear a felt Stetson, warm and all aroundprotection from sun, rain, or snow.

I'll wear a bacwards ball cap if I'm cooking all day for an event when I need to keep flyaway hair out of the food and I don't want my eyes shaded, otherwise I don't get the point. Picked up an NRA giveaway cap at a SW event that I'll wear depending on who I want to annoy.

FogRider

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
Genuine question, what's the point of a backwards hat? The brim won't keep the sun or brass out of your eyes and ball caps aren't great for keeping your head warm. Is it to prevent infamous "redneck" sunburn? :p I generally wear a felt Stetson, warm and all aroundprotection from sun, rain, or snow.

I'll wear a bacwards ball cap if I'm cooking all day for an event when I need to keep flyaway hair out of the food and I don't want my eyes shaded, otherwise I don't get the point. Picked up an NRA giveaway cap at a SW event that I'll wear depending on who I want to annoy.
I'll flip mine around when I'm shooting (gun or camera), sometimes the bill just gets in the way. Some folks just like the look.

bomber

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Some folks just like the look.

and thats all that matters.

i think that people who wear visors backwards look retarded, but my opinion doesn't matter in the least, so more power to those goofballs.

i wear whatever i feel like wearing, whether i am OC'ing or not. if people have a problem with it then i'll let them have their problems. their problems are not my problems.