• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Closed top mazaine pouches

AdnanShahab

imported post

Whenever I UOC, I try to do everything as "safe" as possible, always attempting to err on the side of caution. Basically, I want to minimize the chances of becoming a test case. Thus far, I have always carried my magazines on my belt in open top magazine pouches.

What is the legal status of carrying magazines on one's belt in a closed top magazine pouch (similar to the pouch in the attached image)? Is there a possibility of that being considered a concealed carry of the magazine? (I know some will argue that it is legal to carry magazines concealed, but I don't want to be a test case for something like that at this point.)

MOBI15972.jpg

wewd

imported post

I would argue that they are not concealed. They are readily identifiable as magazine pouches, you can see portions of the magazines in them, and cops carry their mags in those style pouches and I seriously doubt if any cop would say their mags are concealed. Also qualifies as a belt holster, so if loaded mags are firearms under 12025, they should be exempted under section (f).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: con·ceal
Pronunciation: kən-ˈsēl
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English concelen, from Anglo-French conceler, from Latin concelare, from com- + celare to hide — more at hell
Date: 14th century

: to prevent disclosure or recognition of <conceal the truth>
2 : to place out of sight <concealed himself behind the door>

I'd say the pictured pouch neither places your magazines out of sight, nor prevents one from recognizing them as magazines. IANAL, and trial court judges may disagree with the authorities on word definition.