• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

any certify instructor for MA in raleigh, NC?

airwolf09

imported post

Is there any certified instructor from MA in raleigh, NC?
I want to take the training course so that I can obtain a non-resident license from MA.

mrsemman

imported post

Airwolf,

Mass laws pertain to MA residents only. Either the Commissioner of Public Safety or a Chief of Police from the City or Town in MA can issue a License to Carry. There are several requirements to obtaining the license of which, a clear criminal record, weapons training in a state certified course, and payment of $100 fee are but a few.

If you are visiting the state, check the reciprocity of laws to NC. If you are planning on moving here, then you would have to wait until you move to apply and obtain a LTC.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Sorry mrsemman, it appears the poster is correct and needs to find an instructor in NC "who is certified by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police." see #4 at http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/Non-resident_20100126.pdf

Sorry I can't answer the question, though.

But perhaps this could help, if you have a NC license:

Chapter 140: Section 131G Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

This was found here: http://www.goal.org/Documents/law_faq_pdfs/nonres.pdf

Also, this website is extremely helpful understanding the stuff above... jump to the second post...

Good luck...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...bout-bringing-guns-into-Mass.-for-competition

press1280

imported post

I thought Mass was changing so that training actually had to take place in Mass. I could be wrong though.

I've heard of UT and FL instructors out of state but Mass,no.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

press1280 wrote:
I thought Mass was changing so that training actually had to take place in Mass. I could be wrong though.

As I recall the necessity is that the trainer be certified by the Massachusetts State Police, not that the training happen there... I think it was on the Idaho forum that I saw someone post that they just had to send in their NRA training information and they were approved (not sure on the procedure, though...I'd check with Massachusetts).
You may be thinking of the requirement that one needs to pick up the permit in person... which means that one does need to travel to Mass. to get it. I think you need to make an appt. during business hours.

mrjam2jab

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
press1280 wrote:

As I recall the necessity is that the trainer be certified by the Massachusetts State Police, not that the training happen there... I think it was on the Idaho forum that I saw someone post that they just had to send in their NRA training information and they were approved (not sure on the procedure, though...I'd check with Massachusetts).
You may be thinking of the requirement that one needs to pick up the permit in person... which means that one does need to travel to Mass. to get it. I think you need to make an appt. during business hours.

You are correct...it seems that an NRA instructor just needs to apply to MA State Police to get that certification.