• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N.C. town's "snow emergency' includes gun ban...huh?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
North Carolina[/b] town's snow "emergency" includes gun ban...huh?[/b]

Here's a state statute that needs a serious revision![/b]

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d8-North-Carolina-town-calls-snow-emergency-so-gun-sales-are-bannedhuh

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y8guc5y

PLUS: An update on the Starbucks open carry flap.

Unfortunately, any area of this state that is declared to be in a state of emergency and is defined, then no guns allowed.

Totally sucks for us N.C. folk because sometimes, the entire state will be defined as a state of emergency (refer to ice storm of 2002 where I believe that was the case). This is often unnecessary, and while people are out struggling to survive, we need a way to defend ourselves, on and off property from looters, thieves, and others who take the opportunity of public-safety being overwelmed and wish to do wrong or harm against others. The law is flawed from every angle.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
It will be interesting to see what the Chicago vs. McDonald case does to this law.

Is NC one of the few states without a RKBA in its Constitution?

TFred

It's there:

Article One, Section 30:

Militia and the right to bear arms.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.

NCGS 14-288.7 seems to be in direct contention with theStateConstitution.

TFred

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
TFred wrote:
It will be interesting to see what the Chicago vs. McDonald case does to this law.

Is NC one of the few states without a RKBA in its Constitution?

TFred
It's there:

Article One, Section 30:

Militia and the right to bear arms.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.
NCGS 14-288.7 seems to be in direct contention with theStateConstitution.
Makes you wonder how it ever got through the legislative process.

TFred

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In a State of Emergency, can the Governor forbid all complaints about how the gov't is handling it? Can he outlaw any negative editorials or letters to the editors? Can he suspend all gatherings of more than 2 people, or close all the churches?

Just asking. It seems to me there is something in the US constitution about all this, but maybe I'm missing something.

We need incorporation of the 2nd amendment to stop all this nonsense. :cuss:

Dreamer

imported post

NC does, in fact, have a RKBA clause in the state constitution, it's just that they seem to conveniently forget about it when they pass anti-2A laws in response to events in the not-so-distant past where non-whites got "uppity" and had the gall to think the Constitution applied to ALL American Citizens, and defended themselves against white aggressors...

This ban comes from the "Jim Crow" days, when Blacks and Native Americans would arm themselves to protect their communities from KKK rallies and marchers. Apparently, it's OK under NC politics for white-trash rednecks to don bedsheets, burn crosses on people's lawns and participate in racially-motivated domestic terrorism, but if a non-white person should think that they have the right to protect themselves and their family against acts of terrorism, then the folks in Raleigh "gotta pass sum LAAAHWS 'bout 'that."

ALL Gun Control laws have their roots in blatant, criminal, unethical and immoral RACISM, and need to be exposed for what they REALLY are.

The City Council of King (and the other Western Counties) and Gov. Perdue should do the right thing when they declare a State of Emergency, and include in their declaration a "special ruling" that does NOT restrict the lawful carrying of firearms. The have the right to do that, when it comes to such executive orders.

The fact that they just "let the law kick in as written" shows them for the disgusting, racist, classist, fascists they are. They have the power to over-ride the gun ban (just as they had overridden the alcohol sale ban in this instance), but they don't.

We should call these politicians on the carpet for their racist policies, and let them know that unless this Statute gets repealed, they will be visiting the ESC-NC office come next election...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

maybe someday, in NC there will be two groups of armed men on opposing sides of a bridge....one side will order the others to, DISBAND YE REBELS & LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS ...and I am praying the other side tells them with a LOUD BOOMING REPLY ....EAT MY SHORTS !!! thus it's begins....

TFred

imported post

It would be interesting to start a database of such racially motivated laws, where the
"incidents" that led to those laws could be directly documented through history texts,
or local media coverage.

Then when the next legislative session comes around, document the legislators who,
despite being presented with the evidence, declined to right these "wrong" laws.

Eventually the social pressure would mount.

TFred

Dreamer

imported post

I've already done that for NC & MD, and several others who are much better researchers than I have done it for DC and Illinois...

There are only a few gun-control laws in NC that weren't racially motivated:

-All the "age-specific" laws, of course, because they are mostly based on Federal regs.

-The "protesting on medical facility property" ban.

-The "any venue that charges admission" ban wasn't racially motivated that I know of, but I haven't really done much research on that one, so it might have sprouted from a racially-inspired incident...

I'm not sure about the "any venue that serves alcohol" ban either, but it probably is more about booze than about race. It's still a stupid law. I mean, I thought Prohibition was repealed in 1933, and the Temperance movement died with it, but apparently there are still a lot of lawmakers that didn't get the memo...:banghead:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
maybe someday, in NC there will be two groups of armed men on opposing sides of a bridge....one side will order the others to, DISBAND YE REBELS & LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS  ...and I am praying the other side tells them with a LOUD BOOMING REPLY ....EAT MY SHORTS !!!  thus it's begins....

I like General McAuliffe's response: "NUTS!"

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
maybe someday, in NC there will be two groups of armed men on opposing sides of a bridge....one side will order the others to, DISBAND YE REBELS & LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS ...and I am praying the other side tells them with a LOUD BOOMING REPLY ....EAT MY SHORTS !!! thus it's begins....

I like General McAuliffe's response: "NUTS!"
yup, me too:celebrate

XD40coyote

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I've already done that for NC & MD, and several others who are much better researchers than I have done it for DC and Illinois...

There are only a few gun-control laws in NC that weren't racially motivated:

-All the "age-specific" laws, of course, because they are mostly based on Federal regs.

-The "protesting on medical facility property" ban.

-The "any venue that charges admission" ban wasn't racially motivated that I know of, but I haven't really done much research on that one, so it might have sprouted from a racially-inspired incident...

I'm not sure about the "any venue that serves alcohol" ban either, but it probably is more about booze than about race. It's still a stupid law. I mean, I thought Prohibition was repealed in 1933, and the Temperance movement died with it, but apparently there are still a lot of lawmakers that didn't get the memo...:banghead:

I knew I smelled Jim Crow. And that "venue that charges admission" probably stems from basketball games. The booze law probably has to do with continuing to control those unruly negros, but it applies to everyone cuz Jim Crow is done up and gone, right?

So where is the NAACP and Jesse and Al? Maybe if someone hangs a noose from the law they will come out. Or paint some rebel flags on it.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
So where is the NAACP and Jesse and Al? Maybe if someone hangs  a noose from the law they will come out. Or paint some rebel flags on it.

You bring up an interesting point. I must thank Dreamer for reminding me, but Kenn Blanchard's latest episode of the Urban Shooter Podcast (#151) talks about this a lot.

I don't expect the NAACP in its current leadership to support any repeal of gun control laws, regardless of their past, racist or not.

It is sad, the mentality that is. I am a 26 year old black man, and they're trying to protect me by taking my guns and your guns away? Who is to protect us when another Charles Whitman opens fire on several blocks worths of people? Anyone know the details behind the UT Tower shooting? Police were aided by CITIZENS with their own weapons in keeping him confined to an area that reduced his profile of targets and to give police a chance get to him. An armed citizen even helped bring him down in the last seconds of his life.

You can't convince me that my life and this Republic will be better off without weapons in the hands of citizens because it will not. If you want to stop criminals, stop criminals, but not me.

To Hell With Not Being Armed.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
So where is the NAACP and Jesse and Al? Maybe if someone hangs a noose from the law they will come out. Or paint some rebel flags on it.

You bring up an interesting point. I must thank Dreamer for reminding me, but Kenn Blanchard's latest episode of the Urban Shooter Podcast (#151) talks about this a lot.

I don't expect the NAACP in its current leadership to support any repeal of gun control laws, regardless of their past, racist or not.

It is sad, the mentality that is. I am a 26 year old black man, and they're trying to protect me by taking my guns and your guns away? Who is to protect us when another Charles Whitman opens fire on several blocks worths of people? Anyone know the details behind the UT Tower shooting? Police were aided by CITIZENS with their own weapons in keeping him confined to an area that reduced his profile of targets and to give police a chance get to him. An armed citizen even helped bring him down in the last seconds of his life.

You can't convince me that my life and this Republic will be better off without weapons in the hands of citizens because it will not. If you want to stop criminals, stop criminals, but not me.

I am a 39 year old white man & I say Amen Brother ! What you said.:)

in response to your nuts reply...did you watch Jericho ?

XD40coyote

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

My friend still has relatives in NC who fish and even hunt. His mother and sister are an abomination.