Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Taking a road trip down to Florida

  1. #1
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    I want to make sure I cover all my bases when it comes to CC/OC in all the states I'll be visiting. According to this map, it is legal for me to CC in every state on the way there:

    http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwrec.asp

    Is this a map I can rely on, or should I contact each state's attorney general as it recommends on the linked website?

    Also, what would be the easiest way to find each state's prohibited zones for CC and OC as well as if the state is a stop and ID state? I would prefer not to post on each state's OC forum if I don't have to.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  2. #2
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I would go to www.handgunlaws.us and print the packet for each state.

    My dad and mom are doing the same trip next month and they used www.handgunlaws.us
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Check out the trip planner on Carryconcealed.net

    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php

  4. #4
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I have found many errors in carryconcealed.net reciprocity information. So make sure you verify it whichever place you use.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    The best ones to use are the state AG's pages which also contain their CPL restrictions. All are regularly updated. Be careful with all others including the NRA one.

  6. #6
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    The nice thing about www.handgunlaws.us is every legal cite is a hyperlink to that states AG page.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  7. #7
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Thanks, guys. I downloaded the necessary CC packets for the states I'll be traveling through from handgunlaw.us. The questions I still have are what about OC zones? None of the info I downloaded had any information like Michigan's MCL 750.234d. Where can I find that? Also, where can I find information on which states are stop and ID states?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  8. #8
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  9. #9
    Guest

    Post imported post

    I can't advise as to other states, but OC in Florida is unlawful and is strictly enforced.

    I am here for the winter, and it sucks.

    You can not intentionally print.

    There are provisions in the law for the accidental display/printing. But for the most part, the average individual can not discern that you are in possession of a concealed weapon or you are committing a crime.

    Signs have no legal merit.

    There is an exception to allow OC though if you are camping or fishing.

    Here's a good link for more info on Florida CC:

    http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com


    As far as where concealed weapons are prohibited, Here's the excerpt from the law:

    790.06 (12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

  10. #10
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.
    I need to know if I can take off my sweatshirt while carrying my OWB serpa. It's going to be warm in Florida. I understand your point though.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  11. #11
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    CV67PAT wrote:
    I can't advise as to other states, but OC in Florida is unlawful and is strictly enforced.

    SNIP
    Bummer. Thanks for the heads up!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  12. #12
    Guest

    Post imported post

    edit to remove unnecessary post.

    you got the idea

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.
    I need to know if I can take off my sweatshirt while carrying my OWB serpa. It's going to be warm in Florida. I understand your point though.
    Sounds like you are going to have to get a different holster, or dress appropriatly around your firearm so you don't "print" in Florida.

  14. #14
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Yes you cannot even print in Florida! I would get either a Kholster and some baggy print shirts or a fanny pack.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  15. #15
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    The no OC in FL thing reminds me of another question. Is there anywhere I can find information on whether I can CC someone else's firearm? Not just in FL, but for all the states on the way down.

    My friend has a small revolver which would be much easier to CC than my full-sized GLOCK.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  16. #16
    Guest

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.
    I need to know if I can take off my sweatshirt while carrying my OWB serpa. It's going to be warm in Florida. I understand your point though.
    Sounds like you are going to have to get a different holster, or dress appropriatly around your firearm so you don't "print" in Florida.
    It sucks when it gets warm.

    I either resort to my .380 in the back pocket or I wear a summer weight photographer's vest if I'm frequenting an area necessitating my regular armament.

    Some "friends" accuse me of "hunting" though when I dress like that.:celebrate

    CC in restaurants that serve alcohol are ok but you must sit in the dining area that is physically separated from the bar area.

    Have fun.

  17. #17
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Do you both have a CPL? Is he from MI?

    as for how this would be treated in the other states that will require further digging.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  18. #18
    Guest

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    The no OC in FL thing reminds me of another question. Is there anywhere I can find information on whether I can CC someone else's firearm? Not just in FL, but for all the states on the way down.

    My friend has a small revolver which would be much easier to CC than my full-sized GLOCK.
    Florida does not have any sort of handgun registration, so you can posses any lawfully obtained pistol.

    You could consider one of the dedicated pistol fanny packs that have velcro closures for easy access.

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    That is the one my mom has for her j-frame.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  21. #21
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    Do you both have a CPL? Is he from MI?

    as for how this would be treated in the other states that will require further digging.
    He does not have a CPL. Yes, he's from MI. His revolver is registered to him in MI.


    CV67PAT wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    The no OC in FL thing reminds me of another question. Is there anywhere I can find information on whether I can CC someone else's firearm? Not just in FL, but for all the states on the way down.

    My friend has a small revolver which would be much easier to CC than my full-sized GLOCK.
    Florida does not have any sort of handgun registration, so you can posses any lawfully obtained pistol.

    You could consider one of the dedicated pistol fanny packs that have velcro closures for easy access.
    Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can find the answer to my question for other states?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  22. #22
    Guest

    Post imported post

    I always look through the individual state's sections right here on OCDO.

    Generally I find either the info or references to it.

    This is the premiere site for open carry information.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •