• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking a road trip down to Florida

EM87

imported post

I want to make sure I cover all my bases when it comes to CC/OC in all the states I'll be visiting. According to this map, it is legal for me to CC in every state on the way there:

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwrec.asp

Is this a map I can rely on, or should I contact each state's attorney general as it recommends on the linked website?

Also, what would be the easiest way to find each state's prohibited zones for CC and OC as well as if the state is a stop and ID state? I would prefer not to post on each state's OC forum if I don't have to.

mikestilly

imported post

The best ones to use are the state AG's pages which also contain their CPL restrictions. All are regularly updated. Be careful with all others including the NRA one.

EM87

imported post

Thanks, guys. I downloaded the necessary CC packets for the states I'll be traveling through from handgunlaw.us. The questions I still have are what about OC zones? None of the info I downloaded had any information like Michigan's MCL 750.234d. Where can I find that? Also, where can I find information on which states are stop and ID states?

Michigander

imported post

It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.

G

imported post

I can't advise as to other states, but OC in Florida is unlawful and is strictly enforced.

I am here for the winter, and it sucks.

You can not intentionally print.

There are provisions in the law for the accidental display/printing. But for the most part, the average individual can not discern that you are in possession of a concealed weapon or you are committing a crime.

Signs have no legal merit.

There is an exception to allow OC though if you are camping or fishing.

Here's a good link for more info on Florida CC:

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com

As far as where concealed weapons are prohibited, Here's the excerpt from the law:

790.06 (12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

EM87

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It probably isn't a good idea to OC much while you're out of state, unless it's a gold star state or you know real well that you won't have problems. That is why I conceal in Ohio. Having to go out of state for court would really suck.

I need to know if I can take off my sweatshirt while carrying my OWB serpa. It's going to be warm in Florida. I understand your point though.

G

imported post

edit to remove unnecessary post.

you got the idea

T Vance

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

I need to know if I can take off my sweatshirt while carrying my OWB serpa. It's going to be warm in Florida. I understand your point though.
Sounds like you are going to have to get a different holster, or dress appropriatly around your firearm so you don't "print" in Florida.

EM87

imported post

The no OC in FL thing reminds me of another question. Is there anywhere I can find information on whether I can CC someone else's firearm? Not just in FL, but for all the states on the way down.

My friend has a small revolver which would be much easier to CC than my full-sized GLOCK.

G

imported post

T Vance wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

Sounds like you are going to have to get a different holster, or dress appropriatly around your firearm so you don't "print" in Florida.
It sucks when it gets warm.

I either resort to my .380 in the back pocket or I wear a summer weight photographer's vest if I'm frequenting an area necessitating my regular armament.

Some "friends" accuse me of "hunting" though when I dress like that.:celebrate

CC in restaurants that serve alcohol are ok but you must sit in the dining area that is physically separated from the bar area.

Have fun.

G

imported post

EM87 wrote:
The no OC in FL thing reminds me of another question. Is there anywhere I can find information on whether I can CC someone else's firearm? Not just in FL, but for all the states on the way down.

My friend has a small revolver which would be much easier to CC than my full-sized GLOCK.
Florida does not have any sort of handgun registration, so you can posses any lawfully obtained pistol.

You could consider one of the dedicated pistol fanny packs that have velcro closures for easy access.