• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA holding convention in a "gun free zone"?

nobama

imported post

Whats this I hear about the NRA holding this convention in a gun free zone in Charollet NC? I thought the NRA was against so called gun free zones. I suggest every NRA member E mail these people and tell them they need to practice what they preach. This really chaps me!

Dreamer

imported post

From the Charlotte Convention Center Rules and Regulations Brochure:

7.30 DANGEROUS WEAPONS

A “dangerous weapon” is any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property.

1. The possession of a dangerous weapon is prohibited in the Convention Center, except as provided below. Concealed weapons are strictly prohibited in the Convention Center.

2. If firearms are an integral part of an event, an exhibitor may display a firearm as part of its exhibit during an event subject to the following:

a. The exhibitor must comply with all federal, state, and local laws governing the possession and/or sale of firearms.

b. Firearms may not be loaded or fired in the Convention Center.

c. Firearms must be deactivated by removal of the firing pin, the bolt, or otherwise altered so that they are incapable of being fired (e.g., by a metal lock through the trigger mechanism, a plastic strap securing the trigger or hammer mechanism, a plastic strap securing the firearm’s “action” mechanism in an “open” state, or otherwise).

Exceptions may be granted, at the CRVA’s sole discretion, for particularly rare antique firearms displayed in a locked case or otherwise made inaccessible.

d. Powder or primers are prohibited in the Convention Center. Sample live ammunition may be displayed in exhibits, which are kept separate from firearm exhibits or by exhibitors who do not also display firearms.

e. Firearms and ammunition will be inspected by an authorized safety inspector approved by the CRVA during event move-in and/or at such other times as determined by the CRVA. Violations of this policy will be reported to show management and the CRVA. All violations must be corrected before an exhibit will be allowed to open.

f. The sale of firearms and ammunition is prohibited in the Center, although exhibitors may take orders for future delivery subject to applicable law.

7.31 RESIDUAL MATTERS
All matters, rules, regulations or deviations there- from, not expressly provided for herein, shall be decided upon by the General Manager.

Dreamer

imported post

If you look at the Board of Directors of the CRVA, it should come as no surprise that they have such an anti-2A stance--they're all Bankers, Lawyers, and Property Managers...

The CEO is a graduate of Columbia School of Business in NY, and has previously worked for Prudential, Morgan Stanley, and Wachovia.

'Nuff Sed...

chiefjason

imported post

The admission charge would do away with firearms immediately in NC. Not sure there is a good way around it. Even the gun shows make you unload. Yeah its odd, but it's NC, what's not odd about our gun laws?

nobama

imported post

I would get somewhere else besides the Charlotte convention center. Its not the fact you cant carry, but its a "gun free zone". It sends the wrong message.

buzzsaw

imported post

IIRC a few years ago they totally eliminated a city from contention to hold the annual meeting (Columbus, Ohio I think) because of some local law about owning/carrying firearms.

aadvark

imported post

I do not trust The NRA.

They remind me of being a Wolf in Sheeps clothing, pro-Gun and all, and then hold their Conference in a 'Gun-Free Zone'.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup, the Columbus, Ohio (my home area) show was moved, due to new city restrictions on the purchase of firearms from stores within city limits without city approval and tax. This was prior to full state firearm law "pre-emption", however the existing state law would have prevented concealed carry in the government owned convention centers that the NRA would have used anyway. City laws themselves would have prevented open carry at the time, so the ability to carry wasn't even a consideration for the NRA.

fairfax1

imported post

Has any one gotten an official answer from the NRA on carrying at the convention?

If I can't carry, I'm not going (and I going to remember this next time the NRA asks for money).

buzzsaw

imported post

I e-mailed them about this but the only thing I have back as of now is an e-mail acknowledging the query and promising an answer as soon as they can. I am beginning to believe that will be sometime in June. BTW not necessarily proud of it anymore but Life member since 1979.

RayBurton72

imported post

Even if a city in North Carolina passes an ordinance banning weapons from city property, such a ban does not encompass legal concealed carry unless the property in questions is posted as such. (according to NC pre-emption laws)

When I went to a convention in Charlotte a year or so ago, the Convention Center was not posted.

I don't know if that has changed recently.

I do know the NRA has held its convention at the Charlotte Convention Center a few times in the past.