• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm lost

sig220

imported post

This may not even belong here but iv run out of places for answers!

My ? is.I have a non resident florida & utah permit.How should i travel thru the states its honored in,I carry a glock 27 in a shoulder holster & for my new york reload a lcr 380 in the ankle.Do i need to transport these unloaded or can i cruze with them concelled.

Travelling to kansas in two weeks and wont to make sur im cool.

Sorry if im not clear just want to be just.

Dave

MatieA

imported post

sig220 wrote:

My ? is.I have a non resident florida & utah permit.How should i travel thru the states its honored in,I carry a glock 27 in a shoulder holster & for my new york reload a lcr 380 in the ankle.Do i need to transport these unloaded or can i cruze with them concelled.

Dave

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This may answer some of your questions.

TFred

imported post

sig220 wrote:

Dave
There is no National Reciprocity, so as MatieA suggests, you will need to carefully check the state and local laws for every jurisdiction you travel through along the way, not an easy or pleasant task.

There is the federal transport law, which allows you to transport, unloaded, and apart from ammo, when locked in a trunk, etc. You'd need to check on the exact details.

TFred

sig220

imported post

Well now i wonder why i applyed for the permits if i cant travel with it conncelled in the states i have a permit.I read how interstate travel in some states is enforced but what good is a permit if i cant carry while im driving.What u have to unload the gun store the ammo in the truck,if u have car problems pullm over load my weapon and wait on help.Great.

TFred

imported post

sig220 wrote:
Well now i wonder why i applyed for the permits if i cant travel with it conncelled in the states i have a permit.I read how interstate travel in some states is enforced but what good is a permit if i cant carry while im driving.What u have to unload the gun store the ammo in the truck,if u have car problems pullm over load my weapon and wait on help.Great.
You can't blanket state that you can't carry with it concealed, that's an overreaction. You just have to check and know the laws for every jurisdiction you are in.

TFred

sig220

imported post

TFred wrote:
sig220 wrote:
You can't blanket state that you can't carry with it concealed, that's an overreaction. You just have to check and know the laws for every jurisdiction you are in.

TFred

Tfred can you reiderate,i guess i dont get what you ment?

Thanks

TFred

imported post

sig220 wrote:
TFred wrote:
sig220 wrote:

TFred
Tfred can you reiderate,i guess i dont get what you ment?

Thanks
Each state has their own laws. Some states allow each town or county to make their own laws as well. Some allow concealed carry in a car, some may not. Some allow open carry, some may not. Some require a permit for all modes of carry, some do not.

Therefore, each state's "permit" gives you different capabilities, or if you have another stat's permit, such as Utah, which is good in many states, you still have to know and follow the local laws for where you happen to be.

It's an extreme example, but generally drivers licenses enjoy full reciprocity throughout the country, but just because a Virginia license allows you to drive 65 on the interstate in Virginia, that doesn't mean you can drive 65 on the interstate in another state, where the max speed might be 60.

The unfortunate thing is that states don't post gun laws like speed limit signs. Therefore, you have to do the work to discover all these laws before you get there.

There are several resources you can use for this:

http://opencarry.org/maps.html
http://handgunlaw.us/
http://www.carryconcealed.net/

TFred

sig220

imported post

I use carry concelle. net. but there ccw map does not list some states that handgunlaws.us say my permit covers now im realy at a loss.

For instance hand gun laws.us says my florida permit is good in kansas.

Concelle carry say its not, what gives,who do you trust.

Dave

TFred

imported post

sig220 wrote:
I use carry concelle. net. but there ccw map does not list some states that handgunlaws.us say my permit covers now im realy at a loss.

For instance hand gun laws.us says my florida permit is good in kansas.

Concelle carry say its not, what gives,who do you trust.

Dave
If there is a conflict, and really, even if there isn't, the ultimate source is that state's resources, which... may not necessarily be right either. A web page is no more accurate than the author of that page. Hopefully there aren't too many errors. Some of those resource web pages have references to the state code.

TFred

sig220

imported post

Thanks fred,on handgunlaws us rite how try to figure out who honors my florida & utah permit they just updated it i saw in january so il go with them.

Thanks for your help and advice really appreciate it, thanks again.

dave