• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI has a ballot initiative?

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I thought that Wisconsin did not ballot initiatives to have laws passed. To get laws passed, we have to go through the State Legislature.

If that is so, how did 79% of Wisconsin voters pass Article I Section 25 into the State Constitution?

Sorry, I don't remember much from Civics class 25 years ago.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

An amendment to Wisconsin's State Constitution requires two things.

The amendment must pass both houses of the legislature in two consecutive sessions. So the constitutional amendment was passed by the legislature in 1997 and 1998. After that, is must go to the people and be approved by the electorate.

EVERY constitutional amendment to Wisconsin's State Constitution must go through this process.

ARTICLE XII.
AMENDMENTS Constitutional amendments.
SECTION 1.
Any amendment or amendments to this constitution may be proposed in either house of the legislature, and if the same shall be agreed to by a majority of the members elected to each of the two houses, such proposed amendment or amendments shall be entered on their journals, with the yeas and nays taken thereon, and referred to the legislature to be chosen at the next general election, and shall be published for three months previous to the time of holding such election; and if, in the legislature so next chosen, such proposed amendment or amendments shall be agreed to by a majority of all the members elected to each house, then it shall be the duty of the legislature to submit such proposed amendment or amendments to the people in such manner and at such time as the legislature shall prescribe; and if the people shall approve and ratify such amendment or amendments by a majority of the electors voting thereon, such amendment or amendments shall become part of the constitution; provided, that if more than one amendment be submitted, they shall be submitted in such manner that the people may vote for or against such amendments separately.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

So, the governator does not have a say in this process and this is for a Constitutional Ammendment only.

We need a Constitutional Ammendment to make Wisconsin a ballot initiative state. Is that possible?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
So, the Governor does not have a say in this process and this is for a Constitutional Amendment only.
[This is correct, the governor get no direct say in a Constitutional change although, he can lobby the legislators (That's how CCW was defeated last time).]

We need a Constitutional Amendment to make Wisconsin a ballot initiative state. Is that possible?
[My opinion only, the legislature would NEVER approve such a thing as it would require them to "give up" there power and control.]

comp45acp

imported post

I worked hard to get Article I Section 25 before the voters as I am sure many on this forum also did. Our corrupt and Liberty hating governor was then our corrupt and Liberty hating A.G. He traveled the state trying to convince people not to vote for the amendment. He told everyone that would listen, including of course the sycophant media, that "this will lead to people carrying guns all over the place". About the only thing he has ever been right about. He was well aware of how sweeping this amendment is.