• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks?

Garp

imported post

I know that Starbucks probably isn't a choice destination for Utah's unique demographic, but would anyone be interested in a OC appreciation visit in light of their recent actions?

I hear they have wonderful chocolate iced almost-milkshaky drunks if you aren't into coffee drinks.

G

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Garp wrote:
would anyone be interested in a OC appreciation visit in light of their recent actions?
Can you elaborate a little? Did they kick out some open carriers somewhere?

Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

JTknives

imported post

that is really great of them. i had to send them a comment about it.

I would like to thank you for your stance on discrimination against openly carrying a gun. I open carry my gun everyday all day and I'm one of the nicest people you will ever meet. But sometimes stores or people think i should not be allowed to exercise my right to carry a firearm let alone open carry. Your stance on this subject despite the resistance wins very big points in my book and i can only hope other places fallow your courageous example. Jarod Todd - forever your customer

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I say the Starbucks at the University of Utah hospital would be a great idea for a place to meet up and thank Starbucks.

It is open 24 Hrs a day and has a big over flow and room to fit a fair size crowd. It is located near the front of the hospital and has plenty of parking after 1900 Hrs.

Garp

imported post

I live in Utah county and work in sandy. On a weekend I could pretty much go anywhere but for weekdays, I was thinking something more central if possible. I bet we could get local media coverage of some sort with a big enough turnout.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Garp wrote:
I live in Utah county and work in sandy. On a weekend I could pretty much go anywhere but for weekdays, I was thinking something more central if possible. I bet we could get local media coverage of some sort with a big enough turnout.
Provo, with 70+ people sound good enough? ;) February Meet! 2/26 @ 7 P.M.

And hooray for Starbucks. :celebrate

39687597.jpg

Garp

imported post

Do 70 people really show up? That would be awesome. Im down for that night. I kind of liked the idea of starbucks too simply because it sounds like something that might get a little media attention and I wanted to give them a thank you and it gives a little higher profile to the event.

No reason not to have TWO meets! I'm down for the dinner Friday night, Ill be packin.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Sgt. Do you think you could post those two images to the CA forum? When I saw the pictures I was totally amazed! All women too! What a blast. I live in San Jose, CA but have a home in Highland that I visit. I plan to be there later this month to prep the house for new tenant. I'd like to meet up with a group while I'm there. I'll be monitoring the UT forum to see where there might be a meet while I'm there. btw, I hold a UT CFP, but would like to UOC or LOC. Not following this forum, I'm wondering, can I LOC? I remember the instructor telling us that our permits were for *concealed* only. Not sure if that strictly means LC but can LOC *and* UOC.

Sorry if this issue has been discussed. Like I said, I monitor only CA. But I think I'll start checking out UT OC forum.

Thank you all

Garp

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Sgt. Do you think you could post those two images to the CA forum? When I saw the pictures I was totally amazed! All women too! What a blast. I live in San Jose, CA but have a home in Highland that I visit. I plan to be there later this month to prep the house for new tenant. I'd like to meet up with a group while I'm there. I'll be monitoring the UT forum to see where there might be a meet while I'm there. btw, I hold a UT CFP, but would like to UOC or LOC. Not following this forum, I'm wondering, can I LOC? I remember the instructor telling us that our permits were for *concealed* only. Not sure if that strictly means LC but can LOC *and* UOC.

Sorry if this issue has been discussed. Like I said, I monitor only CA. But I think I'll start checking out UT OC forum.

Thank you all
I got clarification about this from the state only yesterday. You can open carry and essentially have to be two steps fm firing. So in a revolver you would have to have an empty chamber where the hammer is sitting AND the next cylinder that comes into firing position so you would have to pull the trigger twice to get the first round fired. In semis you can have a magazine in the pistol but no round chambered so you would first have to rack the slide to move a round from the magazine to the chamber, then fire.

rpyne

imported post

Garp wrote:
I got clarification about this from the state only yesterday. You can open carry and essentially have to be two steps fm firing. So in a revolver you would have to have an empty chamber where the hammer is sitting AND the next cylinder that comes into firing position so you would have to pull the trigger twice to get the first round fired. In semis you can have a magazine in the pistol but no round chambered so you would first have to rack the slide to move a round from the magazine to the chamber, then fire.
Close. If it is a double action revolver, you are correct. If it is a single action revolver you only have to have the chamber under the hammer empty: cock the hammer = first action, pull the trigger = second action.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The above recommendations are great, however, he has stated that he has a Utah issued permit.

With your Utah permit, or any permit for that matter, you may carry loaded, unloaded, openly, concealed, on a gold chain around your neck, or taped to your forehead! Carry however you please in Utah, 'cause yer not in kalifornia anymore, Toto. :p

I'd like to meet up with a group while I'm there. I'll be monitoring the UT forum to see where there might be a meet while I'm there.
Here is info on our next meet that my wife and I are planning. February Meet! 2/26 @ 7 P.M.

We've had an Arizona resident and an Idaho resident at our meets before, and we would love to have you as well. :D

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
The above recommendations are great, however, he has stated that he has a Utah issued permit.

With your Utah permit, or any permit for that matter, you may carry loaded, unloaded, openly, concealed, on a gold chain around your neck, or taped to your forehead! Carry however you please in Utah, 'cause yer not in kalifornia anymore, Toto. :p

I'd like to meet up with a group while I'm there. I'll be monitoring the UT forum to see where there might be a meet while I'm there.
Here is info on our next meet that my wife and I are planning. February Meet! 2/26 @ 7 P.M.

We've had an Arizona resident and an Idaho resident at our meets before, and we would love to have you as well. :D

I think I can make it.

Just curious, I have a UT CFP so there's no problem with me, but if it's cold, you obviously have large outerwear for the cold. If one doesn't have a CFP would that person wait till inside the establishment to pack? Wearing concealed would be illegal, right? I'm thinking of my son. He doesn't have a CFP so I will ask him to wait till he's inside, then strap on the .38. Does this sound reasonable? I sure wouldn't want him to be carrying concealed.

Hope to meet you all there.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

He may carry unloaded (no chambered round, full mag) assuming he is 18 or older, and not in a school zone.

Here is why, public street is undefined.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

So I am thinking about February or March for a open carry meet up at the University Of Utah Starbucks.

Their is plenty of seating nice open area just a way to say thanks to Starbucks for allowing open carried firearms.