• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey I'm new help a guy out

crunch14

imported post

Hey there been looking through this forum off and on for a while and find it very informative, but I do have a couple of questions. I do not an have a CCL but do open carry when hiking, hunting and traveling to and from said outdoor recreational activities because I have the right without a permit.

On to my questions...

How many people who OC do NOT have a CCL?

If you do not have a CCL what do you do with your firearm and ammo when driving?

The reason I have not applied for a CCL is mainly because I don't like the idea of "telling" the government that I own a firearm.

If you ever do a meet on the eastside I'd be up for it, never carried in public much.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it having a hunting liscense tells the Gvt. that I own a firearm, lol. Never thought of it untill I wrote it out. Either way I still don't like the idea ofhaving to ask permission from the Gvt. to carry concealed when they trusted me enough to defend the constitution.

Daath 474

imported post

Here in Washington it's called a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I've got my CPL and open carry and carry concealed depending on where I am and how I feel about it.

According to Washington law you must secure your firearm in your vehicle unloaded if you do not have your CPL. The magazine and ammunition must be secured separately from the firearm. I've always heard to put it in your trunk, but I don't know the specific law requiring that (if there is one). As a precaution I would store it in the trunk anyway if you do not have your CPL. No reason to be in the grey area with the law over such things.

The only way in WA state that you'll get away with 'not telling' the government that you own a firearm is to purchase it in a private sale. Otherwise, you're going to have to go through the registration process when you purchase from a gun dealer. Even with your CPL, you still have to have a background check and the gun is registered under your name. The only thing that changes with the CPL is that you do not have the extended wait time on purchasing a pistol, you can take it home that day.

Out of the millions of registered gun owners, I really doubt the government cares that you personally have some guns. You're not stockpiling them or selling them to criminals, so it shouldn't matter even if you had your own personal collection. There is no reason to really worry about the government if you're a lawful citizen.

I'm on the east side, but I don't think I'm near you. "Redond," did you mean Redmond?

crunch14

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Here in Washington it's called a CPL (Concealed Pistol License).

I'm on the east side, but I don't think I'm near you. "Redond," did you mean Redmond?

Redmond, yes. Sorry, I'm a horrible typist.

How long does the CCP take to go through? Now since I live in unincorporated King county I would have to go to the Sherrif's office to apply correct?

Daath 474

imported post

Yeah, you go through the sheriff's office, that's what I did. You go in and you fill out the application, give them something like $50 (I can't remember what I payed) and they'll mail off all your info to get checked out. In about a week or so, they'll call you back in to get fingerprinted and entered into their database. They wrote down all my tattoos, piercings, scars, etc. I didn't really care because I knew I'd never use my firearm to commit a crime, so it's not anything I worried about. Having the CPL alone, I knew "THEY" would know that I am buying/owning guns. Whether I purchased them through gun shops or not.

crunch14

imported post

They write down tattoos and everything, huh never knew that. Thanks for the info. No.. I know I'm not going to commit a crime with it either. I just wish we had the Alaska/Vt. carry rule. But we'd all like to live in a perfect world.

Daath 474

imported post

Yeah, they actually gave up halfway through trying to collect that information from me... She got like half my tattoos and a quarter of my piercings before she finally just said, "You know what... that'll be enough."

crunch14

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Yeah, they actually gave up halfway through trying to collect that information from me... She got like half my tattoos and a quarter of my piercings before she finally just said, "You know what... that'll be enough."

LOL, she might do that with my scars. I only have 2 tattoos so far.

Metalhead47

imported post

I'll chime in here. First off, Daath: We do not have gun registration, per se, in this state. Yes there's a federal paper trail when you buy any gun from a dealer and a state trail if you buy a pistol, but that's a far cry from the true gun registration of Kalifornia, et al. If you sell or buy a pistol privately the trail stops there and there's no requirement to "re-register" it, or to maintain any kind of registration after the initial purchase.

Crunch14: Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find that most people here who OC also have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License, as it's called in WA state.), even if we chafe at the idea of asking permission from the state to exercise a right, first of all for convenience (so we don't have to unload in a vehicle), and also to be legally covered if our sidearm just happens to end up concealed.

Someone WILL chime in here if I'm wrong (no error, however small, goes unnoticed around here for long:quirky), but the few here who do adamantly refuse to get a CPL simply pop the mag when they get in the vehicle. There is no requirement, under state law, to "secure" the magazine or ammo anywhere specifically, it just can't be in the gun while you're in a vehicle. This also applied if you're riding in a vehicle (bus, etc), not just driving.

My two cents on the matter is, much as it sucks go ahead and get the CPL, if only so you don't have to unload in a vehicle. I OC 90% of the time (I hate having to conceal), but I like having the option of concealing if I so choose. It can get tricky to stay warm & dry in the winter & not have your gun covered. Also, remember if you're loading unloading in a vehicle, especially if you have to chamber/unchamber a round, you could be asking for an ND. It's generally agreed that any handling of your sidearm out of its holster other than at your home or at the range is asking for trouble.

Ok think I covered the basics here, one of the local forum gurus will be along shortly to correct me:D. Also, we're having an OC meet in Bellevue this Saturday, as a matter of fact. Dixie's BBQ I think, dig around for the thread and you'll find it. Also grab the WA gun rights pamphlet from the sticky thread, all the relevant laws are referenced in there and it might answer some more of your questions.

crunch14

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
I'll chime in here. First off, Daath: We do not have gun registration, per se, in this state. Yes there's a federal paper trail when you buy any gun from a dealer and a state trail if you buy a pistol, but that's a far cry from the true gun registration of Kalifornia, et al. If you sell or buy a pistol privately the trail stops there and there's no requirement to "re-register" it, or to maintain any kind of registration after the initial purchase.

Crunch14: Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find that most people here who OC also have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License, as it's called in WA state.), even if we chafe at the idea of asking permission from the state to exercise a right, first of all for convenience (so we don't have to unload in a vehicle), and also to be legally covered if our sidearm just happens to end up concealed.

Someone WILL chime in here if I'm wrong (no error, however small, goes unnoticed around here for long:quirky), but the few here who do adamantly refuse to get a CPL simply pop the mag when they get in the vehicle. There is no requirement, under state law, to "secure" the magazine or ammo anywhere specifically, it just can't be in the gun while you're in a vehicle. This also applied if you're riding in a vehicle (bus, etc), not just driving.

My two cents on the matter is, much as it sucks go ahead and get the CPL, if only so you don't have to unload in a vehicle. I OC 90% of the time (I hate having to conceal), but I like having the option of concealing if I so choose. It can get tricky to stay warm & dry in the winter & not have your gun covered. Also, remember if you're loading unloading in a vehicle, especially if you have to chamber/unchamber a round, you could be asking for an ND. It's generally agreed that any handling of your sidearm out of its holster other than at your home or at the range is asking for trouble.

Ok think I covered the basics here, one of the local forum gurus will be along shortly to correct me:D. Also, we're having an OC meet in Bellevue this Saturday, as a matter of fact. Dixie's BBQ I think, dig around for the thread and you'll find it. Also grab the WA gun rights pamphlet from the sticky thread, all the relevant laws are referenced in there and it might answer some more of your questions.

Hey thanks for the info Metalhead. I'll look for the thread on the Dixie BBQ meat. I know that without a CPL you have to unload in a vehicle, unless going to, from or participating in an outdoor recreational activity (can't seem to memorize the RCW#:banghead:).

Whats ND mean? Since I don't have my CPL yet I won't be carrying at the meeting, I hope thats ok. Wouldn't want to be busted for "brandishing" when I get out of my truck and load and holster.

The reason I got interested in OC was actually by accident. This summer I purchased a 4"GP100 for hiking and a hunting back up. Pretty hard to conceal that hunk of steel.

When applying for my CPL doI need to give a reason to carry? Or is it just a formality for the background check?

crunch14

imported post

I should have stated this in my original post, but... I apologize in advance if I ask a "dumb" question or one that has been asked a million times before. I did my best to read LOTS of threads before asking anything.:celebrate

Mainsail

imported post

crunch14 wrote:
The reason I have not applied for a CCL is mainly because I don't like the idea of "telling" the government that I own a firearm.
There's something like 60 million guns in the US and more are manufactured and bought every day. You don't have to tell the government you own a gun, it's assumed.

holeinhead

imported post

crunch14 wrote:
Wouldn't want to be busted for "brandishing" when I get out of my truck and load and holster.

When applying for my CPL doI need to give a reason to carry? Or is it just a formality for the background check?
Hi there,

If you're worried about "brandishing," I would just carry it without one in the chamber. That way you can just leave it in the holster, and insert/take out the magazine as needed.

Also application is just a matter of filling it out, paying the fees, and waiting. You don't have to give any justification since Washington is a "Shall Issue" state, meaning they must give you the CPL if you meet the legal requirements (not a felon, etc.)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Welcome to the forum crunch.

I carried several months without a CPL and really didn't want to get one because I feel the government has no right to tax or charge for a right. I carried without one in the chamber so I could just pop the magazine before entering my vehicle. After some time I decided I don't like not carrying one in the chamber and since I have kids to pick up and drop off from school a CPL makes doing this a lot easier.

Now I leave my I.D. and CPL in my vehicle unless I have a need to CC in a few places. (Which I rarely do I pretty much always open carry) This makes it easier to stand up for what is right if you ever are harassed or detained for exercising your legally protected method of carrying your firearm.

Good luck!!!!

David.Car

imported post

Speaking on behalf of a coworker no this one. He has open carried for about a year now and does not own a CPL.

Firearm is unloaded and put in its case in the trunk everytime he gets into a car.

crunch14

imported post

Hi David, Hole and SVG, and thanks for the advise. The whole "drop the mag" idea doesn't really work for me. The only handgun I currently own is a 4" .357 GP100. But We'll see, maybe Sat the 13th will be my first time... when not participating in an outdoor activity.

kito109654

imported post

Welcome to OCDO! I hope to see you at Dixies, seems we have a few new members showing up to this meet! :) Always good.

1. Good job using the law to carry already, and without a CPL, props!

2. Get a CPL for the convenience, the feds already know you have a gun. :)

3. You don't need to state a reason on the CPL application, WA is a "shall-issue" state. That just means that they recognize it's a right, but they want to tax it. Lame, but we deal. :)

Again welcome.

crunch14

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
AND, if you bought a handgun from an FFL in Washington, the Department of Licensing has that gun's serial number and it is linked to your name and your Washington DL/ID card number already anyway.
True... I guess I'm just reluctant to "apply" on principal.. LoL:monkey:celebrate

crunch14

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! I hope to see you at Dixies, seems we have a few new members showing up to this meet! :) Always good.

1. Good job using the law to carry already, and without a CPL, props!

Thanks, I originaly bought my KGP141/GP100 for 4 legged critter protection and was happy to find the "recreational use" RCW which kind of got the wheels turning and...well...long story short, I hope to see ya Saturday.:monkey

Ok time to try and get some sleep (I hope) been awake since 4am yesterday. Insomnia sucks.