• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey I'm new help a guy out

crunch14

imported post

:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

Sorry couldn't resist, I haven't seen a single post with the dancing monkey and thought he might be feeling neglected and hungry.

j2l3

imported post

The CPL costs $55.25. Local offices are prohibited from adding fees beyond that.

Bring your completed application, ID, check or cash.

King County SOuses adigital print machine, no mess.

You will be fingerprinted before you leave and they will mail you the permit in 30 days. The ladies who handle this are friendly and efficient, except that they make you wait 30 days, which is not required by law but they are allowed UP TO 30 days.

I believe that King County SOonly processes these at the headquarters in downtown Seattle.

Lammo

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Someone WILL chime in here if I'm wrong (no error, however small, goes unnoticed around here for long:quirky), but the few here who do adamantly refuse to get a CPL simply pop the mag when they get in the vehicle. There is no requirement, under state law, to "secure" the magazine or ammo anywhere specifically, it just can't be in the gun while you're in a vehicle. This also applied if you're riding in a vehicle (bus, etc), not just driving.

SNIP

Chiming in, not due to error but just to clarify. It is not enough in WA to "simply pop the mag". To render a semi-automatic pistol unloaded you must also clear the chamber. So, unless you are carrying in Condition Three (chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down)you cannot simply pop the mag. Of course, since the OP specifies he only has a revlover, this means that all 6 rounds must be removed from the cylinder.

Metalhead47

imported post

Lammo wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Someone WILL chime in here if I'm wrong (no error, however small, goes unnoticed around here for long:quirky), but the few here who do adamantly refuse to get a CPL simply pop the mag when they get in the vehicle. There is no requirement, under state law, to "secure" the magazine or ammo anywhere specifically, it just can't be in the gun while you're in a vehicle. This also applied if you're riding in a vehicle (bus, etc), not just driving.

SNIP

Chiming in, not due to error but just to clarify. It is not enough in WA to "simply pop the mag". To render a semi-automatic pistol unloaded you must also clear the chamber. So, unless you are carrying in Condition Three (chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down)you cannot simply pop the mag. Of course, since the OP specifies he only has a revlover, this means that all 6 rounds must be removed from the cylinder.
Yup, you're right. Figured I would leave something out. That's what I get for posting at 4 in the morning before I've had my Monster or 5-hour.:banghead:

amzbrady

imported post

Hey look, you can teach an old fart new tricks. I never new or have seen posted here before, that you can carry without cpl in vehicle if not 1 in pipe, and unloaded, (I'm hammerless). Now heres a $2.95 question, how about post offices. Post offices by the way are my pet peeve. A government building does not provide lock boxes, no reason to not be able to carry, espesially when they are closed. RCW 9.41.300 does not state anything specifically about the post office, (that I see, but then I am tired and I need to get some forehead specs like Deros has, speaking of which are those for him to put down and look out of or are those there,for us to look in?). :lol:

I did find this on a blog and found it quite curious. Note: D3

http://rlwesquire.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/question-about-concealed-carry-in-a-post-office/

Edited -correct term- Federal building, sorry

crunch14

imported post

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. Now I just gotta drag my butt down to seattle and fill out the permit. I hope it doesn't take 30days like someone (navylt?) stated. When I baught my revolver the background check came back in about 6 hours.

Metalhead47

imported post

crunch14 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. Now I just gotta drag my butt down to seattle and fill out the permit. I hope it doesn't take 30days like someone (navylt?) stated. When I baught my revolver the background check came back in about 6 hours.
IIRC, if you live in Redmond you'll need to go thru the Redmond Police, unless you live outside the city limits. License is issued by the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (Chief of police, or sheriff)

crunch14

imported post

I have a Redmond Address but actually live closer to Duvall, unincorporated King County. So yeah, I got to fight the traffic and parkingheadache that is Seattle. Well a headache for a 4-door truck.

Lammo

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
i went to my post office here in belfair and checked out the whole place, inside and out,

there was no signs anywhere concerning firearms.

i wont be a test case either.:cool:
Unfortunately, 39 CFR 232.1 does not contain the "no sign-no prosecution" provision that 18 USC 930 does. They'll get you anyways, sign or no sign :cuss:

39 CFR 232.1 (l) does contain "Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation" which, translated to English, means "Neener, neener, we are the Post Office and we can do what we want to!"
I'm not going to be the test case (too much to lose) and I certainly don't want to start the argument all over again (an article onthe question is how I found this site in the first place) but I remain unconvinced that an administrative rule from the CFRs can be more restrictive of a person's rights than a statute in the USCs. I cannot find the Federal case that says a conflicting CFR can trump a USC. I have been a lawyer for 23+ years and I have done more than a little bit of legal research. I don't think there is any legal authority for the USPS "neener neener" position. Just my $.02 from the cheap seats.

j2l3

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
IIRC, if you live in Redmond you'll need to go thru the Redmond Police, unless you live outside the city limits. License is issued by the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (Chief of police, or sheriff)

If you live in unincorporated county, then you have to go to the county SO. If you live in a city, youhave the option togo to the city PD OR the county SO.

I live in Seattle and went to King County SO downtown because they give better servie than Seattle PD does.

Unfortunately, it WILL take almost exactly 30 days from date of application to the date you receive it in the mail.

FMCDH

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:

If you live in unincorporated county, then you have to go to the county SO. If you live in a city, youhave the option togo to the city PD OR the county SO.

I live in Seattle and went to King County SO downtown because they give better servie than Seattle PD does.

Unfortunately, it WILL take almost exactly 30 days from date of application to the date you receive it in the mail.
Nearly everyone that I have talked to within the last year that applied in King County report 2-3 weeks for a resident permit. Snohomish County has been less than a week in most cases.

Sample size: 17 individuals

amzbrady

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Hey look, you can teach an old fart new tricks. I never new or have seen posted here before, that you can carry without cpl in vehicle if not 1 in pipe, and unloaded, (I'm hammerless). Now heres a $2.95 question, how about post offices. Post offices by the way are my pet peeve. A government building does not provide lock boxes, no reason to not be able to carry, espesially when they are closed. RCW 9.41.300 does not state anything specifically about the post office, (that I see, but then I am tired and I need to get some forehead specs like Deros has, speaking of which are those for him to put down and look out of or are those there,for us to look in?). :lol:

I did find this on a blog and found it quite curious. Note: D3

http://rlwesquire.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/question-about-concealed-carry-in-a-post-office/

Edited -correct term- Federal building, sorry
The sign answers your questions. Firearms possession and storage on postal property is prohibited and illegal according to 39 CFR 232.1. CFR stands for Code of Federal Regulations and is a form of Federal law. The only exception is "for official purpose". For official purpose means either 1. To actually mail a firearm or 2. You carry a firearm as part of some official duty such as law enforcement or military issued firearm (highly unlikely). There is no exception made for ordinary Joe Citizen to carry his firearm in any way, shape or form; open or concealed; loaded or unloaded for the purpose of self defense. It is also illegal to store your firearm in your vehicle parked on postal property.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=9219c84a799dc05088c85ea1f52c54a5&rgn=div8&view=text&node=39:1.0.1.4.21.0.1.1&idno=39

§ 232.1 Conduct on postal property. (a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
18 USC 930 - USC stands for United States Code and is actual Federal statute enacted by Congress - is merely mentioned as a sentence enhancer if you commit a crime with a firearm on post office property. 39 CFR 232.1 has it's own enforcement and sentencing provision for the possession part, and 18 USC 930 carries a much greater sentence for a crime committed with a firearm.

Don't try to use the "for other lawful purpose" exception of 18 USC 930 to carry at the post office, that won't get you past the prohibition contained in 39 CFR 232.1.

The only highly publicized case of a violation of 39 CFR 232.1 being prosecuted was an actual employee with a firearm in his vehicle within the restricted area of the post office property. If you want to be the test case for Joe Citizen carrying at the post office under what you feel to be an exception to the law, go right ahead!

Any kind of exception that a website or web lawyer will tell you exists to allow you to carry your firearm as average Joe Citizen at the Post Office is B.S. and unproven opinion with no case law to back it up.
Cant even lock it in vehicle while going in to check mail. How F'd up is that. I guess I gotta rethink getting my mail. Thats what I have been doing. No place near to park off postal property and walk over to get mail. I wonder if I can stop paying bills cause post office wont let me get my mail without fear of attack and right to self defense? Probably wont go over to good. Screwed again.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

crunch14 wrote:
I have a Redmond Address but actually live closer to Duvall, unincorporated King County. So yeah, I got to fight the traffic and parkingheadache that is Seattle. Well a headache for a 4-door truck.

The following information is provided courtesy of the Duvall-Carnation Police Department web site.

Fingerprinting and CPL services are available for county residents at KCSO's Kenmore facility located at 18118-73rd Ave NE - please call or see website FIRST for the hours these services are available.

Sounds a whole lot better for you than going downtown.

Mercury0_0

imported post

When you guys who OC get in your vehicle what are the exact procedures? Do you open stand by your open door, remove your gun, remove the mag, rack the slide and remove the chambered round then get in and start putting it away? Or do you get in your car and while sitting inside do you go through the procedure to remove the rounds?

crunch14

imported post

ak56 wrote:
crunch14 wrote:

The following information is provided courtesy of the Duvall-Carnation Police Department web site.

Fingerprinting and CPL services are available for county residents at KCSO's Kenmore facility located at 18118-73rd Ave NE - please call or see website FIRST for the hours these services are available.

Sounds a whole lot better for you than going downtown.
Good call, thanks. Unfortunately I had to miss the thing at Dixies, life gets in the way of fun sometimes. I hope the gathering was good.