Thread: OC'ing w/Current Pittsburgh State of Emergency

Post imported post

I noticed that the Mayor Luke Ravenshtall declared a state of emergency in Pittsburgh a few days ago because of the snow.

Does that mean OC'ing is not currently allowed?

I though there was some local law that makes the open carrying of weapons illegal during any state of emergency.

I also saw three National Guard HUMVEE's patrolling the South Side this morning.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

There are no local laws regarding carry...

but during a State of Emergency

As long as you have your LTCF you're ok...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is: (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat. (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    States dont have rights. People do.

Post imported post

I dont have my LTCF yet, so I guess Im going to have to wait until this SOE is over.

I tell ya, some things make no damn sense in this state.

Post imported post

Hey im new to this forum but whats the difference between LTCF and a CC permit? and where do you get a LTCF?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

... what's the difference between LTCF and a CC permit? And where do you get a LTCF?
    First off, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania there is no such thing as a "CC Permit." There is, however, a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). The LTCF allows you to do the following:
    • Carry a firearm concealed on your person, throughout the Commonwealth.
    • Open Carry a firearm in a city of the first class (which, in this case, is Philadelphia).
    • Carry a firearm in a vehicle.
    • Carry a firearm concealed on your person in a state park.
    • Carry during a declared state of emergency.
    • Borrow a firearm from another person.
    To get one, you must apply to the County Sheriff in the county in which you reside. In some counties, you can obtain the application form on-line. In others, you have to pick it up in person. In any event, you are going to have to visit the Sheriff's Office at least once.

Look up your county sheriff on-line and see what the website says, or call their office telephonically, or pay them a visit.

Post imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
    There are no local laws regarding carry...

but during a State of Emergency

As long as you have your LTCF you're ok...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is: (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat. (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    This sounds extremely disadvantageous for citizens who don't have a LTCF. It is not fair to them. Carrying a firearm during an emergency while, say, traveling from one point to another, would be exactly what is appropriate for LACs, regardless whether they had a carry permit.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Actually, it looks like it's even more restrictive than you think.

You have to be actively engaged in a defense of your life or property from peril or threat, and you can only do so if you have an LTCF.

You can't, apparently, go wandering all over the place.

Post imported post

Stat, thanks for clearing that up for me

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    Actually, it looks like it's even more restrictive than you think.

You have to be actively engaged in a defense of your life or property from peril or threat, and you can only do so if you have an LTCF.

You can't, apparently, go wandering all over the place.
    That's what I meant. It's clear that the language was intended to allow for a non-LTCF'd LAC to defend himself in the public space. But putting the "actively engaged" restriction on that exception means (or could mean) that a non-LTCF'd LAC can legally carry a gun for defense of his life in an emergency state, only if he is actually defending it at the time.

That makes little sense.

Though, it might sort out in court for some poor schmoe who got charged--if he were still alive.

Post imported post

When I think about it, this law needs to also be changed.

During a time of emergency, thats when we need to be armed the MOST!

Although we would never have massive flooding like Katrina, but a natural disaster could happen on that scale in Pennsylvania.

Could you imagine not being able to arm yourself to protect your family?

Im not condoning breaking the law, but frankly, the law would go out the window if I find myself in a situation like that.