• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD Illegal in Califonia?

swillden

imported post

In this thread in the Utah forum, the assertion was made that the Springfield Armory XD (or maybe the XDM, or maybe just some models) is illegal in the state of California, for some reason. My understanding is that high-capacity magazines (magazines holding more than 10 rounds) are illegal in the state, but that I should be able to take my XD Sub-Compact to CA as long as I only take 10-round magazines.

In the thread, reference was also made to the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in CA. Is that the list of guns that can be legally possessed in the state, or just a list of those that can be sold?

SFWD 1934

imported post

EDIT: I should have stated that I purchased the P250 not the XDM. Also, I have a couple standard XD handguns from Springfield. They come with the CA legal 10 round magazines.

Jason

wewd

imported post

FFLs may not sell off-roster handguns to non-LEO. It is not against the law to bring an off-roster handgun into California, or even to sell one in a private party transfer. The XDM is not on the roster so it cannot be sold new in California, but all of the regular XD models are available. If you brought one into the state, you would either have to leave your high-cap magazines out of state, or disassemble them and leave them disassembled while in the state, or permanently block them to 10 rounds. You may not import any high-cap mags into California unless they were lawfully possessed here prior to the January 1, 2000 ban.