• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Gun restaurant Ban Bill Passes House of Delegates

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
A modest proposal: Guns in every bar

Posted to: Editorials Opinion

The issue A bill allowing concealed weapons in Virginia restaurants.

Where we stand Banishing common sense, lawmakers target armed tourism.

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 10, 2010

A Senate committee is expected to hear a bill today that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry their guns into Virginia's bars. If lawmakers pass the legislation, Gov. Bob McDonnell, who has supported the measure, is likely to sign it.

Restaurateurs and others are outraged by the possibility, noting security issues. Some also worry because the bill contains no provisions for keeping out gun-carrying customers and is a threat to property rights. But they may be missing the benefits and opportunities such legislation presents.

To begin with, the proposed law would allow 214,000 Virginians to carry hidden weapons into any establishment that has an ABC license: pizza parlors, bowling alleys, sports bars, nightclubs, country clubs, fine restaurants.

In case anyone is worried about the volatile mix of alcohol and firearms, naysayers should know that the Senate bill requires gun toters to abstain and threatens them with - shudder! - misdemeanors if they don't.

Such a law would undoubtedly be good for tourism in the Old Dominion. Forget "Virginia is for Lovers." Forget eco-tourism. Virginia could make a name for itself in the emerging market for armed tourism: Virginia is for self-defense.

Twenty-three states, including North Carolina, expressly prohibit loaded guns in bars. Virginia, already known as the armory to countless East Coast cities, could cement its reputation as a gun-friendly state, welcoming to all and anyone frustrated by laws back home.

Think of the conventions we could attract! Nashville's visitors bureau bemoaned the loss of business when Tennessee passed this law last year. Virginia should look on the bright side. The commonwealth could market itself as the Wild West of the East, with Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli keeping order as Marshal Matt Dillon in a dark business suit.

The possibilities for creating jobs and stimulating the economy are endless. Nightclubs worried about enforcing the law will be looking to hire more security officers, just in case. Instead of offering coats and ties for under-dressed men to borrow, swank restaurants could offer bulletproof vests. Serving shots would take on a new meaning. Get in a fight over a girl or guy? Call in your armed wingman.

When then-Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed the measure last year, he warned that allowing it to become law would put the public, employees and public safety officers at risk. Restaurateurs argue that they will have no way of knowing whether to serve an alcoholic beverage to a customer because they won't know who has a weapon.

Here's a hint: Given the law, it'll be the one drinking club soda. That might put a dent in a restaurant's receipts, but it'll do the same for Virginia's drunken-driving rate. See how that works? With the right marketing, even good sense's loss can be Virginia's gain.

That article is so slanted, I expect to see flashing lights that say..........

TILT!

Thundar

imported post

Of course they will claim that the article is political satire, just look at the title.

What it really is, is a typical anti screed filled with half truths and flawed logic.

Two Hands

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I just hope places thatare okay with OC don't start demanding we CC from now on if this passes.
They will lose my business.

This bill is still grossly discriminatory with the "no consumption" clause attached.
As rule I ain't drinkin' when I'm pakin' but +1 on "discriminatory". My guess would be that LEO is exempted from the "no consumption" clause as well?