Thread: Traveling

Post imported post

So this weekend we'll be taking a little trip to California: either San Diego or San Fransisco. I've looked at the carry/travel maps but wanted some clarifications. Either way we go we'll be passing through Nevada than into Cali. I know Nevada just recently changed their stance.

I just want to know if there is no open carry, or if firearm must be in a secured container or it can be open carried inside the vehicle. What's the best thing to do for this trip, don't want to be left unprotected?

Post imported post

http://www.opencarry.com/nv.html

http://www.opencarry.com/travel.html

Open Car Carry: You may carry openly [loaded] in your vehicle. It must be clearly visible.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Thanks that helps for traveling.

I guess my other question is: so when I'm walking down the streets of downtown San Fran or San Diego: is it better to keep it locked up in the car or I can have it on my person? They obviously don't recognize UT's permit so would i just OC, just not sure what to do

Post imported post

bmeldrum wrote:

I guess my other question is: so when I'm walking down the streets of downtown San Fran or San Diego: is it better to keep it locked up in the car or I can have it on my person? They obviously don't recognize UT's permit so would i just OC, just not sure what to do
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading on another thread about the topic that you have to have the gun literally unloaded in California. That means no magazine in the gun with rounds in it. You might be able to carry a full mag in your pocket or something, but again, I'm not completely certain. I just know it has to be unloaded with no round in the pipe or the magazine and has to be carried in the open.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Correct. No ammo in or attached to the firearm. An unloaded magazine in the firearm is OK from what I hear.

Also, a concealed magazine with ammo is considered a concealed weapon in California. Keep it all open.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    Also, a concealed magazine with ammo is considered a concealed weapon in California.
    That's just stupid.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    bmeldrum wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading on another thread about the topic that you have to have the gun literally unloaded in California. That means no magazine in the gun with rounds in it. You might be able to carry a full mag in your pocket or something, but again, I'm not completely certain. I just know it has to be unloaded with no round in the pipe or the magazine and has to be carried in the open.

Kevin
    Thanks Kev & SGT- I feel better about carrying down their now. I'll be sure to get some good pics

Post imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
    Thanks Kev & SGT- I feel better about carrying down their now. I'll be sure to get some good pics
    :shock: Damn, you're brave! I might try it in San Diego, but San FranSicko??? Good luck with that one.

There is a decent size group of guys that carry openly in San Diego. It maybe a good idea to contact one of them in the CA forum and ask them for any recommendations.