• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC conversation

OCglock1988

imported post

Hey everyone Im new to this website and have only made a couple of posts and I havent yet open carried. I had a conversation the other night with a emt dispatcher from jefferson WI.(pretty close to home) I asked her about any incidents etc. and she mentioned one at the wal mart where officers were called but no arrests/ charges. The thing i am worried about is that she said that if you are going to open carry that you should have registration for your firearm with you. Can anyone Help me out here?

AaronS

imported post

OCglock1988 wrote:
Hey everyone Im new to this website and have only made a couple of posts and I havent yet open carried. I had a conversation the other night with a emt dispatcher from jefferson WI.(pretty close to home) I asked her about any incidents etc. and she mentioned one at the wal mart where officers were called but no arrests/ charges. The thing i am worried about is that she said that if you are going to open carry that you should have registration for your firearm with you. Can anyone Help me out here?
We do not have any registration for guns in Wisconsin. You got bad info.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
OCglock1988 wrote:
+1 , no such thing in Wisconsin..Bad info from someone that's clueless. If you want to OC somewhere, just ask us, some one will go with you the first time.

You can't OC in the following places...

With-in 1000 feet of the property edge of a school zone.

Carry in your vehicle, the weapon must be unloaded, cased & out of your immediate
reach.

Any place that serves alcohol for consumption ( Bar )

No, Government Buildings ( court house, police station, library, etc )

Otherwise, go for it........if you get asked to leave from some place your OC at, do as asked, don't argue.

Welcome to the forum.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WELCOME to the forum! Great to see yet another OC supporter.

I encourage you to read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

You don't need any kind of registration, permit, or license to "open carry" in Wisconsin. emt dispatcher was providing FALSE information, they do it all the time (sometimes knowingly, sometimes because the don't know what they are talking about).

OC is perfectly legal and many of us do it every day.

Read the threads, ask your questions, and when you are ready:

Read up, Load up, Holster up, Carry On.

And if you can, please join the fight against the school zone ban by joining http://www.wisconsincarry.org

protias

imported post

Welcome to the forum. Your first couple of times you carry you may be a little nervous, but after that it is like second nature. I'd be more than happy to carry with you.

OCglock1988

imported post

I am very familiar with all the current restrictions regarding carry and vehicles. i did have one question about the laws. The penalty for concealed carry is only a misdemeanor slap on the wrist, but if you are open carrying unknowingly in a gun free school zone its a felony? I finally purchased a holster for my glock and had plans to go to fletcher's to shoot friday and I think I will try to OC at the gander mtn. on bluemound. It seems like a good place to start. I heard that Fletcher's is pro carry but since im going there to shoot i think it would be a bad idea to go there and have to unholster my loaded gun to go onto the range(no holster carry on their range) About the original post... you guys are right and a half drunk dispatcher probably doesnt know alot about WI gun law...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCglock1988 wrote:
I am very familiar with all the current restrictions regarding carry and vehicles. i did have one question about the laws. The penalty for concealed carry is only a misdemeanor slap on the wrist, but if you are open carrying unknowingly in a gun free school zone its a felony? I finally purchased a holster for my glock and had plans to go to fletcher's to shoot friday and I think I will try to OC at the gander mtn. on bluemound. It seems like a good place to start. I heard that Fletcher's is pro carry but since im going there to shoot i think it would be a bad idea to go there and have to unholster my loaded gun to go onto the range(no holster carry on their range) About the original post... you guys are right and a half drunk dispatcher probably doesnt know alot about WI gun law...
well, it's more than slap. it could get you 9 months in jail & a fine. I suggest not doing it.

OCglock1988

imported post

yea thats more than a slap. i never said i was conceal carrying anyways but i think that it makes more sense in the state we live in. plus i dont like attracting unnecessary attention to myself

proneblocked

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
AaronS wrote:
OCglock1988 wrote:
+1 , no such thing in Wisconsin..Bad info from someone that's clueless. If you want to OC somewhere, just ask us, some one will go with you the first time.

You can't OC in the following places...

With-in 1000 feet of the property edge of a school zone.

Carry in your vehicle, the weapon must be unloaded, cased & out of your immediate
reach.

Any place that serves alcohol for consumption ( Bar )

No, Government Buildings ( court house, police station, library, etc )

Otherwise, go for it........if you get asked to leave from some place your OC at, do as asked, don't argue.

Welcome to the forum.
I am under the assumption that restaraunts are also on that list, correct?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

proneblocked wrote:
I am under the assumption that restaurants are also on that list, correct?
Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, 1000ft of School Property

Cars:
Must be unloaded and in a case.

Bars:
Any place that serves alcohol for consumption "on the premises." (TGI - Fridays, Red Lobster, Applebees) for example.

Government Buildings:
Everything from the Gazeebo in the park, to the school, to the court house, to the federal building.

State Parks:
Unloaded and in a case UNLESS it is hunting season and you have a special hunting permit.

1000ft of School Property (Roughly .2 miles, Grade 1 - 12, both public and private):
Unloaded and in a case UNLESS you are on private property.

Now with "permission" you can possess a loaded firearm in all of these places, but experience shows us that government does not give permission easily.

Edit: Places like Perkins, Culver's, McDonald's, Burger King, Country Kitchen, Cracker Barrel, etc. that do not serve alcohol, are perfectly fine.

Carry On.

comp45acp

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
proneblocked wrote:
I am under the assumption that restaurants are also on that list, correct?
Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, 1000ft of School Property

Cars:
Must be unloaded and in a case.

Bars:
Any place that serves alcohol for consumption "on the premises."  (TGI - Fridays, Red Lobster, Applebees) for example.

Government Buildings:
Everything from the Gazeebo in the park, to the school, to the court house, to the federal building.

State Parks:
Unloaded and in a case UNLESS it is hunting season and you have a special hunting permit.

1000ft of School Property (Roughly .2 miles, Grade 1 - 12, both public and private):
Unloaded and in a case UNLESS you are on private property.

Now with "permission" you can possess a loaded firearm in all of these places, but experience shows us that government does not give permission easily.

You are very unlikely to get permission from the government to carry in a government building. However, you can get permission to carry in an establishment that has a Class B license from the owner or manager. Get to know the owner/manager at your favorite restaurant. Talk with them about Open Carry and that you would like permission to carry at his place of business when you come in for dinner. Note: The way the law is written you need to get permission each time you go. For your own protection get it in writing or on a voice recorder. Pain in the ass-of course. But it helps advance the cause because the more people that see us carrying the better.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
well, it's more than slap. it could get you 9 months in jail & a fine. I suggest not doing it.
More than likely being caught with a CC would be just a fine unless there were aggravating circumstances, and I speak from a position of experience.