• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Campaign circulates petition to keep guns out of Starbucks

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

It seems open carry is the subject of a Seattle Times article this fine day.

Brady Campaign circulates petition to keep guns out of Starbucks

Posted by Melissa Allison

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is asking people to sign a petition telling Starbucks to keep guns out of its shops, because they say they can't get a straight answer out of the Seattle company about its gun policy. The petition has more than 15,000 signatures.

"Our California activists are responding to the activities of Open Carry activists in the Bay Area, who noticed Open Carry demonstrations at Peet's, California Pizza Kitchen and Starbucks," said Doug Pennington, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign.

OpenCarry.org describes itself as "a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." They sometimes meet in public places to exercise their right to carry unconcealed guns.

When the Brady Campaign asked each company for its gun policies, Peet's Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen promptly issued notices that guns are not allowed -- either at all or on display -- in their shops unless you're a police officer.

Starbucks hasn't done that. "So far, Starbucks hasn't said what seems to be an obvious kind of policy, that 'no guns are allowed in our stores unless you're a police officer,'" Pennington said.

In a written statement, the company said, "For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is our paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue."

Based on that, it's hard to know whether Starbucks allows guns in shops or not. But if it's going strictly by the law, then in many states including Washington, it does allow unconcealed firearms.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Um, a petition... to force a privately owned company... to do something that the company has the choice to do or not do...

Lets make a petition to "force" the brady campaign to stop trying to force companies to make their own decisions...

What makes them think that Starbucks isn't FREE to decide what policies they have?

Insanity.

j2l3

imported post

I htink a petition our our part would be beneficial, as long as it isn;t presented as a demand. More presented as support and encouragement to follow state law wherever they have stores.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Starbucks hasn't done that. "So far, Starbucks hasn't said what seems to be an obvious kind of policy, that 'no guns are allowed in our stores unless you're a police officer,'" Pennington said.
Er, excuse me? What seems to be an obvious policy? What country do we live in again? I forget.

Apparently nobody's ever said "the obvious" 'If you don't like it you can leave' to Pennington.

1245A Defender

imported post

these post are confusing me,,,,,

starbucks corp policy is clear,, when it comes to guns,, they follow state law!!

starbucks has been very supportive of our 2A rights.

if any kind of a pettition is circulated, it should be a great big thank you to starbucks for supporting the constitution! and about 25000 signatures!

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
these post are confusing me,,,,,

starbucks corp policy is clear,, when it comes to guns,, they follow state law!!

starbucks has been very supportive of our 2A rights.

if any kind of a pettition is circulated, it should be a great big thank you to starbucks for supporting the constitution! and about 25000 signatures!

Out of 80+ million firearm owners, we should be able to get at least 80,000 signatures of thank you.

Squeak

imported post

Whoa big fella! Why don't we just relax a minute here. Starbucks isn't the only store around that is OC friendly. Are you willing to do the same for ALL? Don't fall for the liberal agenda by reacting to the petition they're starting. They want us to react. Just sit tight and let them make fools of themselves; they're doing a pretty good job of it.

Machoduck

imported post

"Starbucks hasn't done that. 'So far, Starbucks hasn't said what seems to be an obvious kind of policy, that 'no guns are allowed in our stores unless you're a police officer,' Pennington said.

"In a written statement, the company said, 'For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is our paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue.'"

G-d forbid that Pennington or the Brady Campaign should actually do research. Of course, speaking the truth to their followers, who don't care about either truth or reality, or to the public is quite beyond them. They only cite statistics that have been massaged, rights that don't exist and their feelings. They assume that everyone else shares their feeling driven view of reality.

MD

Just Us

imported post

Just curious,does anyone have a idea how much business Starbucks recieved over the past week. I it is substantial, maybe Starbucks should write a "Thank You Letter" to the Brady Campaign.

Just a idea.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just Us wrote:
Just curious,does anyone have a idea how much business Starbucks recieved over the past week. I it is substantial, maybe Starbucks should write a "Thank You Letter" to the Brady Campaign.

Just a idea.
I wish they would respond with a 'bump' in sales. But if they are a smart and savvy business they will be neutral on the whole idea. They really don't want to piss the pro 2a group or the anti 2a group off, it is not in their best interests in the long run. However, they do know the numbers 70 million coffee drinking gun owners and well a few thousand Brady nut jobs. :uhoh:

Sparky508

imported post

judging from some of Mr. Ross comments, although I shouldn't be surprised, I will offer LESS support to KIRO news.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Remember when Ross hosted Almost Live and left to host the new Fox network's late night show, and then was quickly replaced by Arsenio Hall. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Oh well back on topic. I told an employee at the Starbucks in Fred Meyer that I am now a customer for life she asked why. I told her because of Starbuck's refusal to kow-tow to Brady Campaign's intimidation to discriminate gun owners. She said "why would we? so many carry concealed anyway how are we ever going to know so why ban those who carry openly." She get's a plus one in my book, along with Starbucks.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Remember when Ross hosted Almost Live and left to host the new Fox network's late night show, and then was quickly replaced by Arsenio Hall. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Oh well back on topic. I told an employee at the Starbucks in Fred Meyer that I am now a customer for life she asked why. I told her because of Starbuck's refusal to kow-tow to Brady Campaign's intimidation to discriminate gun owners. She said "why would we? so many carry concealed anyway how are we ever going to know so why ban those who carry openly." She get's a plus one in my book, along with Starbucks.
WOW! and this from a 20 something female barista? There is hope out there afterall!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Just Us wrote:

Just a idea.
I wish they would respond with a 'bump' in sales. But if they are a smart and savvy business they will be neutral on the whole idea. They really don't want to piss the pro 2a group or the anti 2a group off, it is not in their best interests in the long run. However, they do know the numbers 70 million coffee drinking gun owners and well a few thousand Brady nut jobs. :uhoh:
Well, if their stock price is any indicator, it has not hurt sales! Look at the gain from Feb. 5th to the 10th. :celebrate

Also notice block F, the announcement about "Starbucks: Bring on the guns" and then the sharp increase in stock price over the next few days.