• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When to disclose...

malignity

imported post

So I just had a 'what if' scenario run through my head here.. Say I'm CCing, and my buddy next to me is OCing, and a police officer stops us while we're walking down the road because he wants to hassle my buddy for OCing (which seems to happen frequently enough). At what point do I disclose that I too am carrying? Immediately, as soon as he starts talking to my buddy, or only if he acknowledges me?

G

imported post

malignity wrote:
...and a police officer stops us...
The police officer stopped you also, according to your scenario, so you are required to immediately notify him that you are in possession of a concealed pistol.

malignity

imported post

Hmmm. Good point I suppose. Though I'd imagine he'd be stopping my friend technically for OCing and not really me. I guess same thing if you were a passenger in a car that's pulled over for speeding; do you tell the officer?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

malignity wrote:
Hmmm. Good point I suppose. Though I'd imagine he'd be stopping my friend technically for OCing and not really me. I guess same thing if you were a passenger in a car that's pulled over for speeding; do you tell the officer?

Every lawyer I know says that you must disclose when the vehicle is stopped, because technically no one is free to go.

lapeer20m

imported post

malignity wrote:
So I just had a 'what if' scenario run through my head here.. Say I'm CCing, and my buddy next to me is OCing, and a police officer stops us while we're walking down the road because he wants to hassle my buddy for OCing (which seems to happen frequently enough). At what point do I disclose that I too am carrying? Immediately, as soon as he starts talking to my buddy, or only if he acknowledges me?
The safest thing would be to disclose immediately.

since you are both walking, and he is the one the officer wants to talk to, there is a good chance that you are not the one being stopped by the officer. You could ask if YOU are free to go...if he says no, then disclose immediately. Although you would prob win this one in court, is it really worth it?

That's another good reason to open carry....you don't have to disclose and hand over your documents when asked. (assuming no bug)

CoonDog

imported post

If he doesn't acknowledge you, you could immediately step to the side, start your recording devices, whip out your phone and take pictures, etc.

If he does acknowledge you, disclose, then do as above.

autosurgeon

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
If he doesn't acknowledge you, you could immediately step to the side, start your recording devices, whip out your phone and take pictures, etc.

If he does acknowledge you, disclose, then do as above.

This is very good advise! In an on foot encounter only though as we know that in a traffic stop everyone is detained and needs to disclose!