Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UN Small Arms Treaty?

Post imported post

What's the chance of a UN Treaty passing that would allowbanning firearms in th U.S.

http://www.therepublicantemple.com/2...l-arms-treaty/

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...;pageId=124121

Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

With Obongo in office? Very good.

Post imported post

It's not possible as laws currently stand. Treaties the US agree to are still subject to our National Constitution and if certain portions of a treaty are contrary to the Constitution, then it's not legal to enforce it.

Post imported post

You mean not possible sort of like confiscating guns in NOLA during Katrina?

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    You mean not possible sort of like confiscating guns in NOLA during Katrina?
    And they determined it wasn't legal to enforce it.

Post imported post

They need 3/4 of the Senate to approve it. Won't happen.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    They need 3/4 of the Senate to approve it. Won't happen.
    It's 2/3's, not 3/4's of the senate.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Yeah, that's correct. I was thinking 67is 3/4. I hate math. It's so exact and I'm so approximate.
    Will Rogers

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If the UN attempts to ban guns around the world, especially in the United States, they'll have a storm that I only hope will leave them in a few pieces past FUBAR.

We're talking about an organization that rarely uses their own guns to protect innocents in countries UN Soldiers are sent to as "peace keepers". I don't trust any organization that is meant to promote world peace but attempts to destroy it in the process.

That goes for any attempt from any organization, interstate or international, to remove my weapons from my possession.

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    Yeah, that's correct. I was thinking 67is 3/4. I hate math. It's so exact and I'm so approximate.
    This is funny.. made me laugh. I need to remember that one.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
    It's not possible as laws currently stand. Treaties the US agree to are still subject to our National Constitution and if certain portions of a treaty are contrary to the Constitution, then it's not legal to enforce it.
    Not to mention legislative uprisings fromstates. There's a movement afoot across the U.S. to nullify "unconstitutional" federal laws, as determined by the state legislature(s).

See http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/

Post imported post

Treaties signed by 2/3 of the Senate DO trump American Law, including anything in the Constitution. It's actually right in the Constitution:
    Article 6.
    This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Treaties signed by 2/3 of the Senate DO trump American Law, including anything in the Constitution. It's actually right in the Constitution:
    Article 6.
    This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.
    In my understanding of this section, this still only applies to that which (treaties, in this case) are constitutional to begin with. It simply says those laws and treaties which are constitutional, are supreme law of the land.

"which shall be made in Pursuance thereof;" and "under the Authority of the United States" implies that the law or treaty is constitutional, and that they are not acting outside authority delegated by the states, and the people.

Either way, states can still repeal or amend parts of the U.S. Constitution.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
    - Frederick Douglass

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    Article 6.
    In my understanding of this section, this still only applies to that which (treaties, in this case) are constitutional to begin with. It simply says those laws and treaties which are constitutional, are supreme law of the land.

"which shall be made in Pursuance thereof;" and "under the Authority of the United States" implies that the law or treaty is constitutional, and that they are not acting outside authority delegated by the states, and the people.

Either way, states can still repeal or amend parts of the U.S. Constitution.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
    - Frederick Douglass
    Yep. And it still would not have any affect on our right to arms since that right is recognized under the Bill of Rights as being sacrosanct and therefore, untouchable.

America First!

Post imported post

Rebeca Peters disagrees with you guys.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmg_zMuQEDk

Post imported post

phone guy wrote:
    I have that video and she is dead balls wrong. Wayne quotes a Supreme Court decision that states no treaty may be entered into which supersedes or circumvents the Constitution of the United States (paraphrased, of course). He is correct. And simply put, no president may propose a treaty or sign such that does anything of this nature because he would be in violation of his oath of office and subject to a charge of high treason. This ties the hands of any president who may have nefarious designs upon our liberty.

Lastly, Americans don't give a damn what Mrs. Peters or the UN have to say.

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    phone guy wrote:
    I have that video and she is dead balls wrong. Wayne quotes a Supreme Court decision that states no treaty may be entered into which supersedes or circumvents the Constitution of the United States (paraphrased, of course). He is correct. And simply put, no president may propose a treaty or sign such that does anything of this nature because he would be in violation of his oath of office and subject to a charge of high treason. This ties the hands of any president who may have nefarious designs upon our liberty.

Lastly, Americans don't give a damn what Mrs. Peters or the UN have to say.
    Agreed. I just watched that video, good stuff. I have to appreciate Wayne LaPierre's response, although I would love to see the entire debate. I would like to point out though, that I don't like the idea that we have to "seek" protection from a UN treaty from the Supreme Court but that has proven necessary time and time again (sometimes SCOTUS has proven against our favor). I say this because SCOTUS decisions are either marred in jurisdictional wars or some choose to ignore it and enact laws against it anyway.

With all that said... America contributes disproportionately to the worlds problems? I think not, Ms. Peters. The United States contributes disproportionately high to the world's solutions or attempts at gaining a solution to problems. The world's problems are caused by the world.
    You think Afganistan's problems started with the U.S.? No, it at least started with Russia, we gave them a solution to survive the Red Onslaught.
    Did the US start Iraq's hatred of Kurds and Iran? No, that is a hatred that has existed longer than the US has been around.
    Did the US cause issues between Israel and the rest of the Middle East, especially Palestinians? No! It began because Britain didn't want to handle Palestine any more, so they got the UN to partition it!
    How about the India-Pakistan disputes over Cashmier? NO! Once again, Britain left an entire subcontinent in shambles, partitioned it, and left the people to fight each other, like they did Palestine.
    How about Russia and Chechnya? No, that's the Russians and the Chechens.
    Genocide in the Sudan or in Rwanda? Nope, once again, that would be entirely the people that live in that region.
    Piracy off the Horn of Africa? Nope, we're one of the solutions to stopping it; I seem to remember some awesomely effective SEAL sharp shooters rescuing a certain merchant captain last year.

Hmmmmm, disproportionate my butt....

Rebecca Peters, I would tell you to take your ideas somewhere else but I know they won't do ANY human being any good.

Post imported post

Rebeca's smug smile will be gone with the look off disbelief
    if she is in some US city and gets attacked and one of us shows up.

Post imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
    Actually, most constitutional scholars will tell you that treaties override our constitution.

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    UtahJarhead wrote:
    Actually, most constitutional scholars will tell you that treaties override our constitution.
    Especially the ones named Obama.

Oh, wait. They also think anything overrides the Constitution.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    UtahJarhead wrote:
    Perhaps the same ones who believe the Second Amendment to be a collective right?

Or that there's something in the First Amendment that addresses "separation of church and state"?

Well, they're wrong. We know because we can read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and the English contained therein is perfect and a perfect example of words having meaning.

America First!

Post imported post

Actually Mrs. Peters does a very good job of arguing her case in this video - better in some places than does Mr. LaPierre. Wayne turns to emotional rhetoric a few times, but so does Peters. Wayne just does it right at the start.

In one place, Peters lets the cat out of the bag when talking about confiscation and tells the audience that they'll just have to find other pastimes for their sporting pursuits. This doesn't set too well.

When anti's slip and say these things, you can almost imagine their supporters whispering, "Damnit, don't say that. They'll know what we really want to do."

America First!

Post imported post

Say what you want and think what you want, but PLEASE don't make this into a Non-Issue for Gun Owners.
    The fact is that this that the Supreme Court, especially after a few more unfortunate appointments, can and will sell you and me up the river:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

Don't trust them and NEVER let such a treaty be treated causally!

Post imported post

Our fight will be in the Senate as both Hillary and Obummah have publically supported this treaty.

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Say what you want and think what you want, but PLEASE don't make this into a Non-Issue for Gun Owners.
    The fact is that this that the Supreme Court, especially after a few more unfortunate appointments, can and will sell you and me up the river:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

Don't trust them and NEVER let such a treaty be treated causally!
    I agree completely with this. What I wrote is about what was written by the Founders. Unfortunately, what actually takes place can and frequently is, something else.

Thomas Jefferson believed the supreme court to be potentially, the biggest threat to liberty. These people are appointed, not elected, and may serve as long as they wish. All manner of evil can be visited upon us through their decisions. But there is a remedy built into our system.

The legislative branch is the most powerful of the three branches of the federal government. They can impeach and remove a sitting supreme court jurist if they so desire. And then there is the final power which exceeds anything in our government and that is "We The People". Via the Second Amendment and what was written in the Declaration of Independence, we hold the ultimate power and authority and can remove anyone in any office by force of arms if need be. The Founders weren't stupid.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast