Thread: Harrassed at sugarhouse barnes and noble

Post imported post

So I just returned home from a night out with the wife that was cut short due to a very ignorant security officer from metro security.

My wife and I were reading some books at about 9:15 pm tonight (2-9-10) When I was asked to step outside by security officer Jacob Meier of Metro security. Aslo joined by the manager on duty (failed to get his name)

He asked me if I have my concealed permitwhich I do not and I kindly asked why?

He said "well you need a permit to openly carry a gun in the state of utah"

I said, no,I dont, I know the law.

He argued that I was required to have one in order to carry a weapon concealed or open. I again told him that I am aware of the laws and have studdied them well and that he was wrong. The store manager then chimmed in with his "I hold a permit in three states and I know that utah does not allow open carry"

At which point good ol Jacob adds, "I too am a concealed carry nut and know the laws inside and out"

I tried one last time to properly educate him that as long as the firearm is at least 2 actions away from firing, then im good to go.

His reply was "well that law changed in march of 09".

He asked if I had a vehilce that I can secure it in and I told him that no vehilce is secure and that Im not about to leave a gun in my vehilce. He told me at that point to conceal it. At which I told him I cannot do, since I dont have the permit.

I told him that we were done and asked for his name. He said go study the law and you can call my supervisor with any concerns.

Since they were getting close to closing time, my wife and I left.

So, tomorrow Im gonna get a print out of the law as the state of utah has it written and take it back there, along with a phone call to Jacob Meiers' super and barnes and nobles corporate office. Maybe a letter as well.

The bottom line here is that I was harrassed and my night out with my wife was cut short. Any more ideas ya'll have on goin about making my point with the right people?

Thanks guys...

Sorry for the rant
    Carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforTING!
    "Clint Smith"

Post imported post

Let me put this very clear Metro Security Does not care and never will. You need to file a complaint with DOPL http://dopl.utah.gov/ This will greatly help my case with Metro security being illegally detained at the Fair.

Also be careful how you approach this with barnes and noble. If we keep this issue with Metro security and the manager we should be fine.

Sounds like you handled it very well.

Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Whats a "concealed carry nut"? You either carry concealed or you don't.

Post imported post

Wow thats crap, they are obviously idiots.

I OC in Barns and Noble in Jordan Landing a few days ago and had no problem.

If they had a computer with internet ther for public use you could have just showed them then and there.

Post imported post

It's always kinda humorous to me when people say they know everything about something, and really know almost nothing. It shows with these two. What you should do is get a copy of the interview with Shurtleff, and let them listen to it. He talks very specifically about Open Carry, and that it is totally legal.

Post imported post

yeah I kinda looked at him a little funny when he said that...im thinkin well you got the nut part right....haha

Carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforTING!
    "Clint Smith"

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    Let me put this very clear Metro Security Does not care and never will. You need to file a complaint with DOPL http://dopl.utah.gov/ This will greatly help my case with Metro security being illegally detained at the Fair.

Also be careful how you approach this with barnes and noble. If we keep this issue with Metro security and the manager we should be fine.

Sounds like you handled it very well.
    Can we find enough people who have been abused by Metro Security to file a class action against them? I believe it only takes ten people. I am one, I was harassed by one of them at the State Fair, though I just told them they were full of crap and walked away without giving him a chance to detain me.

Post imported post

I just feel that these people need to be educated and they need to take a look at their security agents and sit them down and properly inform them.

Alot of men and women have died to protect our freedome and preserve our laws and way of life. And a lot ofpeople are still fighting for those rights. I take great offense to someone who tries to tell me something that goes against what these people are giving their lives for.

Just wanted to rant some more....

sorry guys and gals
    "Clint Smith"

Post imported post

O.K., that's odd, I O.C. in that B&N and all over the Sugarhouse areaevery time I visit my parents (they live only a few blocks from there), and NEVER had any issues.

Guess I'll have to plan another trip... Oh well, I was hoping for some March skiing anyway!

Post imported post

Im thinkin some of us should go there for a "book reading" under the topic of gun safety. Maybe educate some otherwise un-or ill-informed patrons and employees

"Clint Smith"

Post imported post

sigrscu wrote:
    Im thinkin some of us should go there for a "book reading" under the topic of gun safety. Maybe educate some otherwise un-or ill-informed patrons and employees
    Too bad B&N doesn't carry "Utah Gun Laws".

Post imported post

This is supposedly Barnes and Noble's policy on firearms.
    I think I got this from another thread on OCDO somewhere.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Ausman" <MJAusman@bn.com>
    To: <rbybee3@comcast.net>
    Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
    Subject: Barnes & Noble
    Thank you for your email.
    While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved
    third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the
    law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers
    from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in
    accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.
    Sincerely,
    Mary Ausman
    Supervisor, Customer Retention
    Barnes & Noble, Inc.
    122 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10011
    tel: (800) 422-7717
    fax: (212)352.3660
    mjausman@bn.com
    http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Centurion

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    sigrscu wrote:
    Too bad B&N doesn't carry "Utah Gun Laws".
    Maybe several of us should make a "SPECIAL REQUEST" for the book in person in the various stores WHILE OPENLY CARRYING!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

I have a duplex in Sugarhouse and I Open Carry every time I go there! I lived there from 1992 until 2003, and the area changed a lot. That area attracks every CA and OR transplant, and all their liberal anti-gun thoughts as well.

I open carry just to "throw it" in their face and let them know this is Utah and not some Liberal leftist State!
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

I think that the letter Turbodog put up was from an incident in Boulder, CO, where one of us was tossed out and the cops were called. After lots of phone calls and emails our member got an apology from the manager. This was over a year ago.

MD

ETA: link to CO thread. Yes, this B&N letter sounds like the other.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...rnes+and+Noble

Post imported post

This B&N incident had a happy ending:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54

Good luck.

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    Careful Rugerp345. There is a time and a place for both. If I have misunderstood your comments please forgive me, but either or statements divide not unify. We can't afford to alienate those who carry concealed by telling them they can't occasionally open carry because you either carry concealed or don't. No offence intended.

Centurion

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    Seems to me that this would be a NUT that is Carried CONCEALED! LOL
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"