• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carrying In Public.

amlevin

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
You can always pop the bullet out and dump the powder and just carry with the case and primer. One you get confident and you see that it won't just "go off" for no reason, then you can carry with a complete bullet.
This will work fine right up to the point when you forget that the round in the chamber is a semi-dummy. Pulling the trigger will drive the bullet well into the lands of the barrel. The gun is now useless until the bullet is driven out with a hammer and punch. Worse yet, have a brain fart and chamber a fresh round then firing behind the stuck bullet.

Nope, this ain't a great idea. Carry guns that are well made and safe by design. Then carry them the way they were meant to be, READY TO GO with a round in the chamber. Good guns don't go off without a finger on the trigger.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:
You can always pop the bullet out and dump the powder and just carry with the case and primer. One you get confident and you see that it won't just "go off" for no reason, then you can carry with a complete bullet.
This will work fine right up to the point when you forget that the round in the chamber is a semi-dummy. Pulling the trigger will drive the bullet well into the lands of the barrel. The gun is now useless until the bullet is driven out with a hammer and punch. Worse yet, have a brain fart and chamber a fresh round then firing behind the stuck bullet.

Nope, this ain't a great idea. Carry guns that are well made and safe by design. Then carry them the way they were meant to be, READY TO GO with a round in the chamber. Good guns don't go off without a finger on the trigger.

While I don't like the idea, for a different reason (wholly unnecessary in my opinion) I think what he was suggesting was NO bullet, NO powder.

Just a primed shell casing.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

911Boss, great post, that is good info on the workings of Glock pistols! Just as a point of clarity, I should have explained in more detail in my post about the trigger safety.

I wasn't meaning to give the impression thatthe triggercouldn't be accidentally pulled by something other than a finger, I was just trying to find a quick way to describe that it would be difficult and unlikely for an inanimate object to meet the strict circumstances necessary to disengage the trigger safety and pull the trigger far enough to fire the weapon. I didn't mean to imply that it was impossible, and thereby reduce anyone's vigilance!

Hope I didn't generate any confusion, I should have explained better!

CRA

Richard6218

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
i have a distrust of "safe action" guns. i like carrying hammer down, and i like to be able to see my hammer!

im looking to buy a new gun soon, in 45 cal, but i dont know what yet, i would like it to be as advanced as my P-38, a 70yr old design! double, single action, with a hammer drop safety, and firing pin interlock,, super safe at all times!

my P-38, my star modelo super, my tanfoglio GT-380 all can preform a function that i think is important, but nobody with a 1911 can do!

pick up your "empty gun" apply the manual safety, load it completely, including the chamber, now unload it completely, including the chamber. with the safety ON the whole time!

how many gun designs can do that?
Interesting thread here ---- my very first handgun was (is) a P38 that I bought in a sporting goods store in (ahem) 1961 for $35 ;) Fast forward to 2001 --- I bought a Glock 21 (with the vented barrel) that I used for my carry weapon until it just became too big and cumbersome. Now I carry a little Springfield EMP in 40cal and keep it loaded with +P hollow point. Plenty of wallop with a 3" barrel, conceals well and it's kind of inconspicuous if I want to OC. And --- I keep a round in the chamber at all times with the hammer in half-cock safety. Works for me