• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving through NV on way to UT

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Please excuse if this has been discussed. I normally do not read NV forum. Mostly CA and UT. I have a UT CFP that is no good in CA or NV. But can I drive with UOC through NV? I plan to use 80 all the way. Will stop at Winnemucca for gas. As soon as I cross the state line at Windemere the UOC becomes LCC.

I'm just wondering if there may be an issue if stopped by LEO in NV and I'm UOC. Or should I just play it safe and use lockedmini vault with unloaded weapon inside? I'd prefer to carry UOC for faster action in case it's needed.

I live in San Jose but I drive frequently between CA and UT as I have a home in UT I like to visit. The last time I drove I was not aware of the OC movement. But now that the movement is gaining popularity across the nation, I'd like to exercise my 1A right.

Thank you

AnakinsKid

imported post

If you get stopped while UOC in NV, the officer may ask you why it isn't loaded. Loaded is ok in NV, even in the car. So long as the gun isn't concealed on your body, it can be anywhere in the car.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No reason to go unloaded. UOC is a California term. Meaningless here in NV. Without a CCW, don't conceal on your person, otherwise, anywhere else is fine. You can have it loaded & cocked in a holster on your belt, in the glove box, on the dash, under the seat, anywhere you want.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
If you get stopped while UOC in NV, the officer may ask you why it isn't loaded. Loaded is ok in NV, even in the car. So long as the gun isn't concealed on your body, it can be anywhere in the car.

Excellent! I was not aware of this. *Thank you*

Now I'm wondering, why NV will not honor my UT CFP?

But hey, LOC is good enough for me.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

timf343 wrote:
No reason to go unloaded. UOC is a California term. Meaningless here in NV. Without a CCW, don't conceal on your person, otherwise, anywhere else is fine. You can have it loaded & cocked in a holster on your belt, in the glove box, on the dash, under the seat, anywhere you want.

Yes, I have found that out. What a revelation. But, like I said, I'm fairly new to OCDO. It will be so refreshing to drive thru NV with LOC!

btw, tim, your pic seems very much like what I have (among others)

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

timf343 wrote:

Yes, I have found that out. What a revelation. But, like I said, I'm fairly new to OCDO. It will be so refreshing to drive thru NV with LOC!

btw, tim, your pic seems very much like what I have (among others)

Gordie

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Now I'm wondering, why NV will not honor my UT CFP?
Utah doesn't have a system in place to verify a CFP 24 hours a day, a requirement for Nv. to honor it.

livewire98801

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
Can anyone link me to the relevant NRS regarding this? I plan on going to Reno to get my CCW there, and will need to OC on the way, and probably for the next trip as I expect to be back before I get my permit in the mail.

I've learned that most LEOs don't keep up on the details of firearms laws as much as one would expect.

AnakinsKid

imported post

livewire98801 wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:
Can anyone link me to the relevant NRS regarding this? I plan on going to Reno to get my CCW there, and will need to OC on the way, and probably for the next trip as I expect to be back before I get my permit in the mail.

I've learned that most LEOs don't keep up on the details of firearms laws as much as one would expect.
http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec350
The laws about CCW are NRS 202.350 - 202.369. As far as a handgun being loaded, there's no law prohibiting it, so it's legal. You won't find a NRS regarding this, except for long guns, and that's in with the hunting laws. Long guns in a car can't have a live round in the chamber, but can have a loaded magazine.

livewire98801

imported post

Thanks, you've made me confident that I'll be able to make the trip without issues being armed. . . especially handy since I may be carrying more cash than I'm normally comfortable with. Oregon is the same. . . I'm used to WA laws, where there is a specific section of the law regarding firearms in vehicles with an exemption for CPL holders.

So, I should be okay on the whole trip by carrying in a belt holster, and moving my carry pistol from my holster to the passenger seat when in the vehicle.

How are restaurants in Reno area about open carry? Or should I stick to drive thru and delivery?

Thanks again :)

AnakinsKid

imported post

You should be fine with the gun in a holster even in the car. If it's visible by looking through the passenger window, they can't say it's not "discernible by ordinary observation".

I haven't read here of anyone being given a hard time by the police for it. If anyone has, I'm sure they'll correct me.

wrightme

imported post

I am fairly certain that a car door does not constitute "concealed upon the person."

YMMV.

The NRS appears silent on the issue, other than the long gun comment.

If you were not in the car, and it is discernible, a car or seat belt should not cause concealment.

IANAL, and I do not play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.