• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about banned weapons

lawlessness

imported post

Thanks ghostrider.

Could you help me out just a bit more and show me where exactly that
law prohibits the carry of any concealed weapon
as you have asserted.

Bronson

imported post

The second link Ghostrider provided applies to knives and guns. The first link applies to bludgeons and gas/aerosol weapons.
(1) A person shall not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, or possess any of the following:

d) A blackjack, slungshot, billy, metallic knuckles, sand club, sand bag, or bludgeon.

(e) A device, weapon, cartridge, container, or contrivance designed to render a person temporarily or permanently disabled by the ejection, release, or emission of a gas or other substance.
So, it seems, youcould be outside of the law if you used bear or wasp spray to defend yourself from a person. My argument would be that the bear/wasp spray can isn't designed for use against a person. But as somebody else posted it may be a federalviolation to use said substance in a manner that it wasn't designed for.

It doesn't specifically mention the illegality of concealing any of the listed items. It spells out that possession, whether concealed or not, is a felony.

Oh, it also exempts certain self-defense sprays:
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A self-defense spray or foam device as defined in section 224d.

So it would seem that a SD spray that falls within the limits specified in 224d would be your best, legal, option.

Bronson

ghostrider

imported post

lawlessness wrote:
Thanks ghostrider.

Could you help me out just a bit more and show me where exactly that
law prohibits the carry of any concealed weapon
as you have asserted.
I see what your getting at. It prohibits carrying any dangerous weapon concealed. Also, there are other exceptions in the laws (IR seeing one for pepper spray). This thread was started asking about carrying an ASP, so that is the context in which I was replying.

ghostrider

imported post

Bronson wrote:
The second link Ghostrider provided applies to knives and guns. The first link applies to bludgeons and gas/aerosol weapons.
(1) A person shall not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, or possess any of the following:

d) A blackjack, slungshot, billy, metallic knuckles, sand club, sand bag, or bludgeon.

(e) A device, weapon, cartridge, container, or contrivance designed to render a person temporarily or permanently disabled by the ejection, release, or emission of a gas or other substance.
So, it seems, youcould be outside of the law if you used bear or wasp spray to defend yourself from a person. My argument would be that the bear/wasp spray can isn't designed for use against a person. But as somebody else posted it may be a federalviolation to use said substance in a manner that it wasn't designed for.

It doesn't specifically mention the illegality of concealing any of the listed items. It spells out that possession, whether concealed or not, is a felony.

Oh, it also exempts certain self-defense sprays:
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A self-defense spray or foam device as defined in section 224d.

So it would seem that a SD spray that falls within the limits specified in 224d would be your best, legal, option.

Bronson
The second link also applies to, "...any other dangerous weapon."

I couldn't find any definitions for "dangerous weapon", so it's up to each's own to decide if they want to be a test case.

Somehow, I'm thinking that things like an ASP wouldn't past muster with subsection (d) of 750.224.

lawlessness

imported post

The second link also applies to, "...any other dangerous weapon."

I couldn't find any definitions for "dangerous weapon", so it's up to each's own to decide if they want to be a test case.

FYI, In 1975 (People v Smith) the Michigan Supreme Court construed the phrase "other dangerous weapon" ,as used in this statute, to apply to stabbing weapons only. In 1989 ( People v Johnson) the court of appeals held that MCL 750.227(1) applies only to stabbing-type weapons and does not prohibit the carrying of an axe handle as a weapon.

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Michigander wrote:
If your situation, I would get some super duper powerful pepper spray, and use it on myself until I was confident with it that it wouldn't take me out of action if I got cross exposed. That would be my primary weapon, and the back up would be a mag light.
Are you saying to use pepper spray on YOURSELF and try to build up a tolerance to it?

:lol: I can imagine a pretty funny youtube video coming soon from Michigander...

I'd like to see that myself!

Many years agosomeone I knowpulled a prank on a friend. He poured a decent amount of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce onthis kidsupper lip area while he was passed out drunk. The "drunk" starting rubbing his hand on his upper lip while he was "sleeping", smearing the hot sauce into his notrals.

Let's just say he woke up soon after that and spent about 45 minutes under the kitchen sink trying to wash the pain away. He then went and tried to sleep it off in his car, but said he couldn't sleep since he was breathing fire for the next 2-3 hours. Good times!