Thread: pulled over while CCW

Post imported post

Do you have to tell the officer you are carrying a concealed pistol? Can anyone link to the law? Or know the website I can find the law at, Not just post yes or no.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

Look at chapter 31 within the following link.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=13

This link leads to CCW data:

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

I believe the answer is not unless he/she asks but you need to read it for yourself as IANAL.

If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

Just google ARS title 13.

But the short answer is NO. Arizona is not a "must-declare" state. Now if they ask and you *lie*, that's different.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Post imported post

im guessing its one of those, there is no law that says you have to things?
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

mFonz77 wrote:

But the short answer is NO. Arizona is not a "must-declare" state. Now if they ask and you *lie*, that's different.
    No need to lie. When asked if you have any weapons reply with "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle or on my person".

If it was a question that you had to give a definitive answer to then there would be a duty to inform law.

Same with the "where are you going/coming from" question. Simply point in a direction and reply with "that way".
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Post imported post

Beau wrote:
    mFonz77 wrote:

No need to lie. When asked if you have any weapons reply with "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle or on my person".

If it was a question that you had to give a definitive answer to then there would be a duty to inform law.

Same with the "where are you going/coming from" question. Simply point in a direction and reply with "that way".
    True. Just depends on the question. If they ask "Are you wearing a concealed weapon on your person" and you give that response they are most likely going to ask again until you say yes, and then they'll ask where, and then they'll probably ask you to remove if for their own safety until they're done with you. Probably, but not definitely.

I've been pulled over before (Tucson) and after running my license (no doubt seeing the endorsement), the officer didn't even mention it.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Post imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
    Beau wrote:
    mFonz77 wrote:

True. Just depends on the question. If they ask "Are you wearing a concealed weapon on your person" and you give that response they are most likely going to ask again until you say yes, and then they'll ask where, and then they'll probably ask you to remove if for their own safety until they're done with you. Probably, but not definitely.

I've been pulled over before (Tucson) and after running my license (no doubt seeing the endorsement), the officer didn't even mention it.
    I agree that if they asked you that specific question and you kept giving that answer it would go back and forth until someone gave up. I say gave up but what I mean is it would continue until the officer removed you from your vehicle and performed an illegal search.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Post imported post

So theres no law that states you have to disclose you are carrying?

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    So theres no law that states you have to disclose you are carrying?
    Not in Arizona, no. Now, as noted above, this is just upon initial officer contact, for example if you get pulled over you don't have to hand him your CCW along with your drivers' license.

This is *not the same* as if he goes to arrest you, and asks, "Do you have anything sharp, pointy, or potentially hazardous on your person" and you say "no". Not only is it a lie, it becomes a risk to the officer.