• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CERT Volunteer

gis

imported post

I guy that works for me decided to volunteer with his local CERT. He asked me if he can carry while he is training and volunteering. He has a CHP. I told him that I believe that he can, as he will be volunteering for his county/city, and the training will be done at the local fire department and other local government facilities. He said that his local fire department has a no-carry policy for employees, but he is not an employee. They can't fire him. But can they legally kick him out?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gis wrote:
I guy that works for me decided to volunteer with his local CERT. He asked me if he can carry while he is training and volunteering. He has a CHP. I told him that I believe that he can, as he will be volunteering for his county/city, and the training will be done at the local fire department and other local government facilities. He said that his local fire department has a no-carry policy for employees, but he is not an employee. They can't fire him. But can they legally kick him out?
Yep...he can carry and they can kick him out of the program.

gis

imported post

peter nap wrote:
gis wrote:
Yep...he can carry and they can kick him out of the program.
I guess, don't ask don't tell is the best course of action?

t33j

imported post

Open Carry is the best course of action! Looks like a great opportunity to spread the word to me.

t33j

imported post

Yeah I guess it depends on which he wants to do more.. but I know I'd be carrying.

Pagan

imported post

I was going to sign up for my county's CERT program , but all the training is at a school, perhaps the new bill pass and wipe that stupid law aside!

gis

imported post

He told me this morning that he signed up and that he will be carrying (didn't say OC or CC). His classes will be at the countyfire academy and he wasn't told that he couldn't carry (even though he knows that fire employees are not allowed). Should be interesting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gis wrote:
He told me this morning that he signed up and that he will be carrying (didn't say OC or CC). His classes will be at the countyfire academy and he wasn't told that he couldn't carry (even though he knows that fire employees are not allowed). Should be interesting.
I know a fellow that took a Kayak rescue course that had basically the same rules, in a County lake (Pre Preemption) I think his name was Ralph:uhoh: He carried a Beretta Minx in a dry bag in his back pocket. I didn't approve though. He didn't have a CHP.:lol:

No one ever knew and he got through the class. I guess that's why it's called ...concealed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most municipalities have rules for volunteers - and most of those rules include "No Firearms While Acting As A Volunteer".

Yes, you can carry on municipal property (with the minor exceptions of courthouses, secure areas of jails, etc.) but only as a citizen "visiting" those places. If you want to "work" as an unpaid employee/agent of the municipality they can impose many restrictions on you - including the no firearms one. Get caught and you will almost assuredly be "fired" from your volunteer position. You could face other legal troubles such as criminal trespass, disturbing the peace, or whatever else the local cops & Commonwealth Attorney can dream up.

Is volunteering for CERT or any other position where you wiull be entering a "disaster" zone a worthy endeavor? You bet it is! Is is, IMNSHO, wise to enter a "disaster" zone without effective means of self defense? No way!!

Please remind your friend that he needs to really think which activity - carry or be a CERT volunteer - is most important to him.

stay safe.

skidmark

gis

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Most municipalities have rules for volunteers - and most of those rules include "No Firearms While Acting As A Volunteer".

Yes, you can carry on municipal property (with the minor exceptions of courthouses, secure areas of jails, etc.) but only as a citizen "visiting" those places. If you want to "work" as an unpaid employee/agent of the municipality they can impose many restrictions on you - including the no firearms one. Get caught and you will almost assuredly be "fired" from your volunteer position. You could face other legal troubles such as criminal trespass, disturbing the peace, or whatever else the local cops & Commonwealth Attorney can dream up.

Is volunteering for CERT or any other position where you wiull be entering a "disaster" zone a worthy endeavor? You bet it is! Is is, IMNSHO, wise to enter a "disaster" zone without effective means of self defense? No way!!

Please remind your friend that he needs to really think which activity - carry or be a CERT volunteer - is most important to him.

stay safe.

skidmark
Interesting point, skidmark. The way this CERT program operates, they invite citizens to take classes in various disciplines without being obligated to join the CERT. Each class is offered several times a year, and people who complete all 8-10 of them within 12 months can apply to join the CERT, which involves some additional hoops like the background check, etc. So until he actually joins the CERT and becomes a volunteer, even by your argument, he is just a citizen visiting his local fire academy for taxpayer-funded training. I believe that pre-emption should still apply. Agree or disagree?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gis wrote:
Interesting point, skidmark. The way this CERT program operates, they invite citizens to take classes in various disciplines without being obligated to join the CERT. Each class is offered several times a year, and people who complete all 8-10 of them within 12 months can apply to join the CERT, which involves some additional hoops like the background check, etc. So until he actually joins the CERT and becomes a volunteer, even by your argument, he is just a citizen visiting his local fire academy for taxpayer-funded training. I believe that pre-emption should still apply. Agree or disagree?

It's not a question of whether or not I agree with you - it's a question of what rules the municiplality sets up for attending the training. Before I say I lean one way or another I'd like to see either "the Rules" or other documentation of the training program.

But absent any "Rules"I would think (a dangerous practice for most folks but one I can do even in my sleep) you are probably correct. Unless he does not have the time to do a little pro se legal work ( http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915note subsection C) I'd tell him to go ahead and open carry in class.

stay safe.

skidmark

gis

imported post

skidmark wrote:
gis wrote:

It's not a question of whether or not I agree with you - it's a question of what rules the municiplality sets up for attending the training. Before I say I lean one way or another I'd like to see either "the Rules" or other documentation of the training program.

But absent any "Rules"I would think (a dangerous practice for most folks but one I can do even in my sleep) you are probably correct. Unless he does not have the time to do a little pro se legal work ( http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915note subsection C) I'd tell him to go ahead and open carry in class.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks again. Personally, I haven't seen the rules, so will stop speculating.