• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ponderosa Lansing

ghostrider

imported post

Does anyone have the FOIA request from the Lansing and Battle Creek events yet?

I'd very much like to review anything and everything if possible, and am willing to pich in cash to get that info, just don't see the need for many people to request the same info over and over.

Please PM me either here or at MGO.

thanks

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I did and I received a letter stating it will be over $100 and they want a $50 deposit to continue, which is allowed by law.

MOC, Inc. will help with some of the cost and I will kick in $20. John will be asking members and participants of this forum to help as well. He will most likely start another thread on this.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
I did and I received a letter stating it will be over $100 and they want a $50 deposit to continue, which is allowed by law.

MOC, Inc. will help with some of the cost and I will kick in $20. John will be asking members and participants of this forum to help as well. He will most likely start another thread on this.
I intend to donate.

Is this just the Lansing event FOIA, or is it also the BC FOIA?

Michigander

imported post

I'm rather surprised they are asking for money. If they are extremely cash strapped, I can understand not being able to waste any resources. But that would also beg the question of why they sent all those officers to begin with.

If a PD really wants to make up for a colossal screw up, I expect an utterly thorough FOIA done for free, with sweeping corrective measures put in place in a very fast manner. That is the very least I'd expect if a PD wants to be nice, and avoid law suits/color of law complaints/improper LEIN use complaints.

But I wasn't at this one, so maybe I'm wrong. Am I out of line for thinking this way?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I'm rather surprised they are asking for money. If they are extremely cash strapped, I can understand not being able to waste any resources. But that would also beg the question of why they sent all those officers to begin with.

If a PD really wants to make up for a colossal screw up, I expect an utterly thorough FOIA done for free, with sweeping corrective measures put in place in a very fast manner. That is the very least I'd expect if a PD wants to be nice, and avoid law suits/color of law complaints/improper LEIN use complaints.

But I wasn't at this one, so maybe I'm wrong. Am I out of line for thinking this way?
It's legal I ran it by Dean. Here is the letter

Michigander

imported post

It may be standard, but I want and expect better after cops ignorantly and maliciously trample my rights.

For the lack of a better expression, I expect police departments that caused me to be wronged to bow down and kiss my ass. If they don't, my SOP is minimally a FOIA, then a FBI complaint, then a MSP LEIN complaint, and finally a complaint to the PD itself to rub salt back in the wound like they are trying to do to me.

But again, just to be clear, I can't say I'd apply this sort of thinking to this case, because I wasn't there. Just trying to figure out why the FOIA fee is seen as being so acceptable.

Another point of fact is in my personal experience how often police cover their asses by short changing FOIA's. I would not even consider paying half up front.

autosurgeon

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It may be standard, but I want and expect better after cops ignorantly and maliciously trample my rights.

For the lack of a better expression, I expect police departments that caused me to be wronged to bow down and kiss my ass. If they don't, my SOP is minimally a FOIA, then a FBI complaint, then a MSP LEIN complaint, and finally a complaint to the PD itself to rub salt back in the wound like they are trying to do to me. 

I agree ... I was just stating they are just going by the book.

ghostrider

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Michigander wrote:

I agree ... I was just stating they are just going by the book.
So, how to deal with it?

autosurgeon

imported post

Unfortunately they have a legal obligation to stay expense neutral on FOIA. That is why the law states that the lowest paid person that is qualified must do the FOIA research.

I don't think short of a court order due to hardship that a person can expect them to make exceptions. It comes down to if they do it for us then everyone will expect them free.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

The officers themselves involved could cough up the cash, if they felt like going that route. I doubt the law says they can't pay it personally... maybe?