• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should I do if...?

SMW

imported post

I am 19 years old and considering OCing with my dads pistol (it will be mine when I turn 21). Would it be legal for me to carry his gun and if so would I need to have anything with me for proof? If I do start OCing with it, what could be said to me by LEO since it would not technically be mine yet? And also if I have it in my car, what should I do if I get pulled over or go through a license check? BTW I'm in the Oakboro/Albemarle region of Stanly County.
Thanks in advance for the help.

CarryOpen

imported post

Look through the last couple pages of threads here in the NC forum, the question comes up rather often. Make sure you read local and NC laws and understand them, don't just go by what you read in the NC AG document on our laws.

How you conduct yourself with the police will largely be determined by how you want to assert your rights. One thing to be absolutely sure of is that the weapon is plainly visible and that you do not look to be trying to access it. I always put my pistol on the passenger seat when traveling alone. Try to have your paperwork in order and in hand when the officer approaches.

SMW

imported post

I am always very polite with LEOs and most of the ones around here know me from my job, or know my family (small town). I was either going to put the gun in my passenger seat, unless my girlfriend is with me in which case I would keep it in the floor in front of the console. Would that be considered concealed even though it would be uncovered? I drive a Honda Civic so it would not be that hard to see it if the LEO was looking into the car at me. Would it be best to place it on the dash and inform the LEO that I have it immediately (I plan to do this anyway) or to leave it where it is and inform the LEO? I want to exercise my 2A rights but I also want to avoid any problems.

chiefjason

imported post

To err on the side of caution make sure you inform them that you have an openly carried firearm. But don't just say, "I have a gun." Something along the lines of, "I just wanted to let you know I have an openly carried handgun on the passenger seat."

And scour the board here. There is lots of good info. Use the NC General Statutes page, most of the gun laws are in the criminal section, 14. Cross reference anything you are told with these statutes. Some folks, though well intended, are dead wrong about what the law says. Municode is good for local laws too.

http://www.municode.com/Library/ClientListing.aspx?stateID=33

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl

MeanGreenZ71

imported post

I just wanted to say that I have been OC'ing a fair bit in the 2 years since I was 18. I just make sure the firearm is visible and always in a holster. I usually leave one holster on my belt and the have the pistol in another holster sitting in my passenger seat. That way the pistol isnt just sitting openly and it doesnt look suspicious.

BTW, im about 15 minutes from Oakboro. Glad to see other members near here.

SMW

imported post

MeanGreenZ71 wrote:
I just wanted to say that I have been OC'ing a fair bit in the 2 years since I was 18.  I just make sure the firearm is visible and always in a holster.  I usually leave one holster on my belt and the have the pistol in another holster sitting in my passenger seat.  That way the pistol isnt just sitting openly and it doesnt look suspicious. 

BTW, im about 15 minutes from Oakboro.  Glad to see other members near here.

Did you ever catch and crap from LEOs about carrying in the area?

MeanGreenZ71

imported post

I havent had a run-in with them. I havent been pulled over while OCing either. I dont usually OC going into stores or restaurants unless its little places (mom and pop shops or small town restaurants.

If you hear of any OC events in Charlotte or anywhere let me know though.

SMW

imported post

Absolutely will do. It's good to know of another person in the area that OC's under 21. I still don't yet because I am trying to convince my overly protective mom but my dad is completely on board.