• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how to deal with open carry and personal family activity

scorpio_vette

imported post

ok, so obviously this whole wisconsin law is beyond stupid, ridiculous and inconvenient.

so for example. today is my little boys 1st year b-day. the wife wants to go to the museum as a family. so if i decide to open carry (by the way, is the museum a government building or private building and ok to carry), but then we get to some place and they tell me to leave, then i would have to either go back and place the firearm in the car and go back in, or decide not to spend money there if they don't respect my rights and end up ruining the family activity, or do i just decide to not even bother carrying, which kinda totally defeats the purpose of self defense and i might as well just sell the firearm.

which brings me to another though. if you have to go into some place that doesn't allow carrying, do you drop your shirt/jacket over the empty holster and hope nobody calls it in, since there is technically no law against an empty holster, or do you continue to keep your shirt/jacket tucked behind the holster, and have people stare at you even weirder because you are displaying an empty holster???

Lurchiron

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
ok, so obviously this whole wisconsin law is beyond stupid, ridiculous and inconvenient.

so for example. today is my little boys 1st year b-day. the wife wants to go to the museum as a family. so if i decide to open carry (by the way, is the museum a government building or private building and ok to carry), but then we get to some place and they tell me to leave, then i would have to either go back and place the firearm in the car and go back in, or decide not to spend money there if they don't respect my rights and end up ruining the family activity, or do i just decide to not even bother carrying, which kinda totally defeats the purpose of self defense and i might as well just sell the firearm.

which brings me to another though. if you have to go into some place that doesn't allow carrying, do you drop your shirt/jacket over the empty holster and hope nobody calls it in, since there is technically no law against an empty holster, or do you continue to keep your shirt/jacket tucked behind the holster, and have people stare at you even weirder because you are displaying an empty holster???

Cheese & whine; both products of Wisconsin.

Carry on...and on...and so forth.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Whether your holster is full or empty, try to "dress"natural so far as the law allows. It is far more naturalthat you allow the jacket to cover the empty holster. While carrying, I tend to choose a jacket which will not bunch up.

Lurchiron wrote:

Voicing a legitimate concern does not a whine make....:quirky

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

so for example. today is my little boys 1st year b-day. the wife wants to go to the museum [Not sure. A simple call should answer that question.]as a family. so if i decide to open carry (by the way, is the museum a government building or private building and ok to carry), but then we get to some place and they tell me to leave, then i would have to either go back and place the firearm in the car and go back in, or decide not to spend money there if they don't respect my rights and end up ruining the family activity, [I disagree. You take the opportunity to teach your wife/child about discrimination. You post here that "they" asked you to leave. We have no problem publicizing "their" discriminatory policies.] or do i just decide to not even bother carrying, which kinda totally defeats the purpose of self defense and i might as well just sell the firearm.

I can take my kid to McDonalds to play in the play land. At 1-Yr-old, he/she would be very happy and I have NEVER been asked to leave a McDonads.

which brings me to another though. if you have to go into some place that doesn't allow carrying, do you drop your shirt/jacket over the empty holster [Yes, I just let the coat fall over whatever part of the holster it covers. If they call it in, then LEO and the caller will receive ample education.] and hope nobody calls it in, since there is technically no law against an empty holster, or do you continue to keep your shirt/jacket tucked behind the holster, and have people stare at you even weirder because you are displaying an empty holster???
As a general rule, I tend not to worry to much about what others think about me.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Its not so much that i'm worried what others think, but that I don't want to ruin the family event or the ticket money if somebody gets their panties in a bunch.

I did find out that the building is owned and maintained by the county. So would that be like the library that ur not allowed to carry in? The people I talked to had no idea regarding that.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Its not so much that i'm worried what others think, but that I don't want to ruin the family event or the ticket money if somebody gets their panties in a bunch.

I did find out that the building is owned and maintained by the county. So would that be like the library that ur not allowed to carry in? The people I talked to had no idea regarding that.
YES. If owned by the government, then it IS a government building. As far as the "ticket money," if they sold me the ticket while carrying, allowed me entrance, and then 5 minutes in, asked me to leave, I would expect a refund.

Lurchiron

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
Whether your holster is full or empty, try to "dress"natural so far as the law allows. It is far more naturalthat you allow the jacket to cover the empty holster. While carrying, I tend to choose a jacket which will not bunch up.

Lurchiron wrote:

Dude...go get a massage or something; just go play in your own sand-box. Trust me, you'll feel better.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
Whether your holster is full or empty, try to "dress" natural so far as the law allows.  It is far more natural that you allow the jacket to cover the empty holster.   While carrying, I tend to choose a jacket which will not bunch up.

Lurchiron wrote:

Dude...go get a massage or something; just go play in your own sand-box. Trust me, you'll feel better.

you know i thought this forum was to raise awareness, help each other, and meet like minded folks. but there are some serious assholes on here that just do nothing but bitch when people ask legit questions, and just keep shitting in the pot to piss everybody off.

Didn't your mom ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut the f*** up???

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
you know i thought this forum was to raise awareness, help each other, and meet like minded folks. but there are some serious @#$%s on here that just do nothing but bitch when people ask legit questions, and just keep @#$%ting in the pot to piss everybody off.

Didn't your mom ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut the f*** up???
scorpio, you are 100% correct. There are some that try to take threads off topic (trolls). All forums have them. We need to work harder at ignoring the trolls and hopefully they go away.

Lurchiron

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

Lurchiron wrote:

you know i thought this forum was to raise awareness, help each other, and meet like minded folks. but there are some serious @#$%s on here that just do nothing but bitch when people ask legit questions, and just keep @#$%ting in the pot to piss everybody off.

Which part of your post applies to you???

SCOTUS

M

McX

imported post

i'll go empty holster when i go out of my place, covered, when i go across the street to get a pack of smokes, sidewalk is school zone. place across the street is one of the places that could use open carry- damn shame.

hardballer

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

Lurchiron wrote:

What is up with the bad attitude Lurchiron. Major negativity. Seriously. Can you explain your incredibly rude behavior? How do you internally process your comments as constructive? Free will means you chose to be this way. I would really like to understand. Thanks.

bnhcomputing wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

scorpio, you are 100% correct. There are some that try to take threads off topic (trolls). All forums have them. We need to work harder at ignoring the trolls and hopefully they go away.

Too right you are bnh. Thanks.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Just ignore the Trolls. Maybe Lurch is not a troll, just in a bad mood and deprived attention deprived. Every one that replied or commented on his negativity just fed a troll. Did not even have to go to the zoo. He he makes a sincere apology, then I will retract what I just wrote.

I wear my holster all the time, from the time I put my pants and until I take them off. There is a gun in it, except when it's illegal.

Any place where it is not legal for me to open carry, I hold no prejudice, as it was not thier choice.

If a business chooses not to allow open carry, then they willNOT get my money.

EDITED TO ADD A STATEMENT. After reading many replies of Lurch, I came to the conviction that this person is not a troll. Maybe just is a bad mood for a moment or has differences with another member, I don't know. I just know that the majority of his posts are respectful of others.

hardballer

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Just ignore the Trolls. Maybe Lurch is not a troll, just in a bad mood and deprived attention deprived. Every one that replied or commented on his negativity just fed a troll. Did not even have to go to the zoo. He he makes a sincere apology, then I will retract what I just wrote.

I wear my holster all the time, from the time I put my pants and until I take them off. There is a gun in it, except when it's illegal.

Any place where it is not legal for me to open carry, I hold no prejudice, as it was not thier choice.

If a business chooses not to allow open carry, then they willNOT get my money.
100% agreement.