• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

check it out

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

[font=Arial,Bold][font=Arial,Bold]
[align=left]FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS[/align][/font]
[/font]

[align=left]324.40111 Discharging firearm within 150 yards of dwelling or farm of another[/align]
[align=left]750.227d Firearm improperly carried in vehicle (loaded, not cased, etc.)[/align]
[align=left]750.227 Carrying a concealed weapon[/align]
[align=left]750.237 Possession of firearm by person under influence[/align]
[align=left]750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises[/align]
[align=left]480.17c Firearm as forbidden explosive in a Commercial MV(49 CFR 173.54f)[/align]
[align=left]750.234e Brandishing a firearm in public[/align]
[align=left]CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE VIOLATIONS[/align][/font]
[/font]
[align=left]28.425k(2)(c) Possession of a firearm with a bodily alcohol content .02-.079[/align]
[align=left]* 28.425k(2)(a)or(b) Possession of a firearm with a bodily alcohol content greater than .08[/align]
[align=left]28.425f Failure to possess or display either driver’s license, Michigan ID and[/align]
[align=left]concealed pistol license[/align]
[align=left]28.425f(5) Failure to immediately disclose possession of concealed pistol[/align]
28.425o Possession of a concealed pistol in a “pistol free” zone

T Vance

imported post

dougwg wrote:
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

[align=left]28.425k(2)(c) Possession of a firearm with a bodily alcohol content .02-.079[/align]

[align=left]* 28.425k(2)(a)or(b) Possession of a firearm with a bodily alcohol content greater than .08[/align]

Where did you get this from?

What is confusing is they say, it is a CPL violation if in "possesion of a firearm with a BAC of .02-.079", then they say "a BAC greater than .08".

I've heardif you are CCing and blow over a .02, it is a violation; but if you are OCing, and not in a PFZ you can blow up to a .08.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
dougwg wrote:
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Where did you get this from?

What is confusing is they say, it is a CPL violation if in "possesion of a firearm with a BAC of .02-.079", then they say "a BAC greater than .08".

I've heard if you are CCing and blow over a .02, it is a violation; but if you are OCing, and not in a PFZ you can blow up to a .08.

You have to actually read the cited law. The summaries don't explain the law accurately.

28.425k is speaking of a concealed pistol under authority of a CPL.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 2]
[Revised as of October 1, 2009]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR173.54]

[Page 458]

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER I--PIPELINE AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SAFETY ADMINISTRATION,
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 173_SHIPPERS[MDASH]GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPMENTS AND
PACKAGINGS--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Definitions, Classification and Packaging for Class 1

Sec. 173.54 Forbidden explosives.

Unless otherwise provided in this subchapter, the following
explosives shall not be offered for transportation or transported:
(a) An explosive that has not been approved in accordance with Sec.
173.56 of this subpart.
(b) An explosive mixture or device containing a chlorate and also
containing:
(1) An ammonium salt, including a substituted ammonium or quaternary
ammonium salt; or
(2) An acidic substance, including a salt of a weak base and a
strong acid.
(c) A leaking or damaged package or article containing an explosive.
(d) Propellants that are unstable, condemned or deteriorated.
(e) Nitroglycerin, diethylene glycol dinitrate, or any other liquid
explosives not specifically authorized by this subchapter.
(f) A loaded firearm (except as provided in 49 CFR 1544.219).
(g) Fireworks that combine an explosive and a detonator.
(h) Fireworks containing yellow or white phosphorus.
(i) A toy torpedo, the maximum outside dimension of which exceeds 23
mm (0.906 inch), or a toy torpedo containing a mixture of potassium
chlorate, black antimony (antimony sulfide), and sulfur, if the weight
of the explosive material in the device exceeds 0.26 g (0.01 ounce).
(j) Explosives specifically forbidden in the Sec. 172.101 table of
this subchapter.
(k) Explosives not meeting the acceptance criteria specified in
Sec. 173.57 of this subchapter.
(l) An explosive article with its means of initiation or ignition
installed, unless approved in accordance with Sec. 173.56.

[Amdt. 173-224, 55 FR 52617 Dec. 21, 1990, as amended at 56 FR 66267,
Dec. 20, 1991; Amdt. 173-236, 58 FR 50236, Sept. 24, 1993; 67 FR 61013,
Sept. 27, 2002; 68 FR 48569, Aug. 14, 2003]

Items under the authority of this law require a Bill of Ladings. Items that require a Bill of Ladings go in the box behind the truck. This does not cover personal belongings in the vehicle itself.

For some reason, I couldn't type that outside the quote box. My computer must suck.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

not sure what you're saying here, but here is a response from a firearm in a CMV

This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulations
(HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully
carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties.
Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of
such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in
§ 173.54(f).
The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded
or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in
commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor
vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is
subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated
with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
I trust this satisfies your inquiry. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Hattie L. Mitchell
Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention
Office of Hazardous Materials Standards
173.54(f)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
not sure what you're saying here, but here is a response from a firearm in a CMV

This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulations
(HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully
carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties.
Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of
such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in
§ 173.54(f).
The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded
or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in
commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor
vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is
subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated
with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
I trust this satisfies your inquiry. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Hattie L. Mitchell
Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention
Office of Hazardous Materials Standards
173.54(f)
It's a rebuttal to "
[align=left]480.17c Firearm as forbidden explosive in a Commercial MV(49 CFR 173.54f)[/align]
", which is commonly referred to as the law that makes handgun possession in a CMV illegal. That quote contains both the MI law, and the Federal law. Both say the same thing.
[align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

SlowDog

imported post

There is no law written anywhere that says your CMV is any different then your POV when it comes to carrying a weapon. I have been through inspections and actually stepped out of my truck with my pistol on my hip. As soon as they see it they ask if I have a License to carry and that's the end of it. I have been hassled a few times over the years by <idiot> LEO's but never arrested or sited for it.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Thats great to see.

But still, notice the OP, it's a "cheat sheet" for LEO's. It seems as though they are being taught that it's still illegal for a CPL holder to carry on a CMV.

My point in posting the above is simply the way misinformation is spread and is continuing to be spread.

Now that that's been put to bed, now on to the other subject highlighted.

[align=left]This should read:[/align]
[align=left]28.425k(2)(c) Possession of a concealed firearm with a bodily alcohol content .02-.079[/align]
[align=left][/align]

Taurus850CIA

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Thats great to see.

But still, notice the OP, it's a "cheat sheet" for LEO's. It seems as though they are being taught that it's still illegal for a CPL holder to carry on a CMV.

My point in posting the above is simply the way misinformation is spread and is continuing to be spread.

[align=left] [/align]
That's disturbing. Is this conjecture, or genuine? If genuine, where did you find it?