• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just passing through

onlurker

imported post

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster looking for some information. I will be taking a road trip from Washington to Las Vegas in April and as such, I will be passing through Oregon. I have begun to familiarize myself with applying for a CHL/CPL/CWP specifically so I can cover all grounds for legal carry, but I'm left with a couple of questions.

First one, I understand I need to take a safety course to get a concealed permit. Can a course typically certified for a Utah permit be considered as meeting the requirements for a concealed permit for Oregon?

Oregon is a "may-issue" state? Any idea how long it takes to get the permit after you've applied? Time is slightly of the essence here as I will be traveling through Oregon around April 20th.

Should I not be able to get a concealed permit, are there any restrictions of loaded open carry in the vehicle like Washington (must be unloaded, state CPL allows loaded carry in a vehicle)? Familiarization of the local codes is obvious, so I'll check the cities ban thread up top as the travel date draws near.

Any other tips for an out of state'er applying for a permit and/or legal open carry? Any applicable law codes, or how to find them would be much appreciated.

onlurker

imported post

Thanks for the links.

Looks like I'll be ok as long as I keep in mind the local jurisdiction I will be passing through. Oregon code 166.250 means I'm exempt from concealed carry laws in the vehicle as long as the "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section."