• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Rights NRA/Iowa Carry Bill Passes Out of Public Safety Committee

Straight_Shooter

imported post

I have added links to the bills on a separate post with more details on the votes.

The title is in error . . .the NRA bill DID NOT get out of committee . . my apologies . . . for Maxie's sake, I'll go ahead and fall on a sword . . .

SS

ethies

imported post

follow the link in my post. or look up hsb 721. My understanding is that it is a 'shell bill' that will get hf2255 out of committee. Look on IC's forum for more info on that. I don't really understand the 'shell bill' thing myself.

Max G

imported post

Confused?

When it comes to attacking the NRA, Iowa Carry, and Baudler, there are no specific reasons given by Straight Shooter.

Attack dogs bite for no reason at all. Don't let any facts get in the way.

Max G

imported post

It's the NRA Bill HF 2255 that passed by 17-4. (HSB 721) This Shall Issue Bill is a good Bill. It's very similar to the Shall Issue Laws currently in effect in 36 or 37 States in the US.

It's too bad the Alaska Bill got shot down by a14-7 vote, but not surprising given the methods used to 'promote' this Bill. It wasn't a bad Bill, it just had no chance of passing as only 2 other States in the US have something similar today.

You don't pass any legislation by constantly knocking down other Bills. You pass legislation by promoting your own Bill.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

Max G wrote:
It's the NRA Bill HF 2255 that passed by 17-4. (HSB 721) This Shall Issue Bill is a good Bill. It's very similar to the Shall Issue Laws currently in effect in 36 or 37 States in the US.

It's too bad the Alaska Bill got shot down by a14-7 vote, but not surprising given the methods used to 'promote' this Bill. It wasn't a bad Bill, it just had no chance of passing as only 2 other States in the US have something similar today.

You don't pass any legislation by constantly knocking down other Bills. You pass legislation by promoting your own Bill.

Well Maxie . . . I am sorry, but you are wrong . . .HSB 721 is currently a "blank bill" . . .to be amended on the floor.

But why let "facts get in the way"

SS

Straight_Shooter

imported post

ethies wrote:
HSB 721 is, as I understand it, a "shell bill" to pass through. The vote on HSB721 was 17-4 with 3 dems and 1 repub voting nay. Unless I misunderstood the minutes. http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/minutes.pdf?minutesID=5882

This is correct ethies . . . The 928 amendment is the vote against incorporating the Sorenson Alaska bill as 721 . . .

Baudler voted AGAINST this . . . unbelieveable . . .

SS

Max G

imported post

Looks like IGO will have nothing to do now but blog, complain, and pound sand.

Oh wait, that's all they were doing before their Bill was shot down today.

SSDD.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

Max G wrote:

SSDD.

Looks like you can go pound sand Maxie . . . YOUR BILL DIDN'T GET OUT EITHER . . . and the great NRA "pro-gun" legislator, Clel Baudler, actually voted AGAINST recognizing the second amendment in Iowa today! Nice folks you have "working for you" there!

You might want to curb your elation about IGO being out of the game . . . as I said above, HSB 721 is a BLANK SLATE . .

BTW- you will notice that IGO actually got a vote on their bill . . where exactly was the magnanimous NRA when these bills were being discussed? No one, not even Clel Baudler, brought your bill to a vote. Tisk Tisk . . . Too bad!

SS

ethies

imported post

Lets minimize the pissing match here. SS is right, the bill that is passed is a blank slate. It just says they're going to do "something." It is incumbant on all of us to make sure "something" turns out to be a good thing and not a bad thing.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

Max G wrote:

SSDD.

Wow . . . this is almost as amazing as the Baudler vote today.

Consider what thisindividual is saying here:

1) He is actuallyhappy and gloatingthat a bill in the Iowa House that fully recognized the second amendment in Iowa was defeated.

2) It was "his side," i.e. Clel Baudler, the so-called "pro-gun" icon of the Iowa House, that voted AGAINST fully recognizing the second amendment in Iowa today.

3)He has repeatedly attacked me for standing against these people whohave nowopenly proven theyare not supportive of the second amendment by voting against it in the legislature.

4) This is the person who accuses me ofacting likea member of gun-control groups like Brady, et. al., because I point out the compromising position of the NRA, yet he is happy that the recognition of the second amendment was defeated in Iowa today.

Text book example of the problem: This person is far more concerned about the NRA and their reputation than he is about the second amendment freedom of Iowans.He absolutely and totally typifies the arrogance and stupidity of the Myrmidon-like behavior of many rank-and-file NRA members.His actions are sensless and without any logic whatsoever, and are totally in opposition to the stated cause. How can any rational person, who genuinely believes in and supports the second amendment possibly take such bizzare behavior seriously?

SS

Max G

imported post

Well SS, thinking for yourself is enough of a challenge. You are not capable of speaking my words for me, though you and the IGO do like to distort things - that's your approach.

No where did I say I was happy about the so-called "Alaska" bill being defeated.

The IGO did nothing to promote this Bill, all they did was attack the NRA Bill.

The IGO can now simplypound sand. There's hardly a chance at beginning the process to support their own Bill now that Public Safety blew it out of the water.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

Max G wrote:
The IGO can now simplypound sand.

Thanks Maxie -

This is a great idea for a new catchy NRA slogan that you can put on your little NRA buttons and other campaign stuff next November:

"I'm from the NRA, and if you want to have a say in what laws you have to live under, you can go pound sand!"

I am certain you will approve . . . its you all the way. . .

Tgclark

imported post

My God!!!

You people over here are all still slinging mud at each other? I thought that had ended long ago. You should all give it a rest. BOTH SIDES! I know I feel better now that I left.

I do want to apologize to the group for the part I played in the early mud slinging. It did nothing to change my mind or that of anyone else either. I think that the negativity, from both sides, that has been displayed here may have played a part in the spitting incident last weekend. That was a black eye for all of Iowa, not just one group or another.

While everyone is yelling about what may or may not happen with HF2255 OR HF2241, a real bill we can all agree is terrible is making it's way toward passage. SSB1033 quite clearly states it's restrictions on gun ownership for simply being the subject of a protection order. I suggest we all stop fighting the monster under the bed and work full on to get this one stopped.

TG

Straight_Shooter

imported post

GearTop wrote:
My God!!!

You people over here are all still slinging mud at each other? I thought that had ended long ago. You should all give it a rest. BOTH SIDES! I know I feel better now that I left.

I do want to apologize to the group for the part I played in the early mud slinging. It did nothing to change my mind or that of anyone else either. I think that the negativity, from both sides, that has been displayed here may have played a part in the spitting incident last weekend. That was a black eye for all of Iowa, not just one group or another.

While everyone is yelling about what may or may not happen with HF2255 OR HF2241, a real bill we can all agree is terrible is making it's way toward passage. SSB1033 quite clearly states it's restrictions on gun ownership for simply being the subject of a protection order. I suggest we all stop fighting the monster under the bed and work full on to get this one stopped.

TG

Hi TG -

Welcome back! . . . I went over and looked at "the creature from Tom Miller" SSB1033, and you are quite correct! It has been voted out of the Senate Judiciary committee and is headed for the Senate Floor. It also has a companion bill in the house Public Safety Committee . . . HSB 46, that is just "ripe and ready" to be passed onto the floor. And one of the assigned committee members is none other than Iowa Carry's own favorite "NRA Director," Clel Baudler, who voted solidly against the second amendmentlast night. . .

But Tom, I am sad to say, there is a little problem with this picture . . You see, these bills are almost carbon copies of the provisions that are in the Iowa Carry / NRA bill that I have been trying to get you guys to stand up against for months: it is nothing more than LAUTENBERG, Title 18 USC paragraph 922. Nearly the same identical language is in the NRA bill. Except this time, it has TEETH behind it . . . it allows the sheriff to come to your house and get your guns and take them from you and charge you $50 to take them.

So there you go . . . how the heck is Iowa Carry or the NRA going to stand up to this garbage in one bill that they completely support in another? I hate to say I told you so, but that is what compromise will get you.

I AM on your side with this obviously, BUT, You need to takethe lead on this. Please create a new thread and let's try and get the word out . . .who knows? Maybe IC and IGO will come together to stop this crap in its tracks . .

Thanks,

SS

imported post

Max G wrote:

I agree Max. Have you ever noticed How a handful of folks are attempting to shred the NRA bill, rather than being pround and honorable about their own?

This character trait and these actions should spell it out for everyone.

I'm glad the NRA is pushing this so hard. Should Iowans suffer arbitrary discrimination by an issuing official instead of "shall issue" as some of these folks apparently prefer?

Thanks for your insight Max. I agree.

Respectfully,

the REAL straight shooter

Straight_Shooter

imported post

the REALPea shooter wrote:
Should Iowans suffer arbitrary discrimination by an issuing official instead of "shall issue" as some of these folks apparently prefer?

Should Iowans suffer under the draconian un-Constitutional deprivations of due process and second amendment freedoms from the NRA bill, as you seem to prefer?

IA_farmboy

imported post

Should Iowans suffer arbitrary discrimination by an issuing official instead of "shall issue" as some of these folks apparently prefer?

That is a false dichotomy. We can also skip right over "shall issue" and go "constitutional carry" if only we could get everyone on board. Why can't we get Iowa Carry to agree to that?

Don't you support our right to self defense?

(Yes, that was another false dichotomy, and an appeal to emotion, on my part.)