• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Range Qualification and Timing?

iSharpShooter

imported post

[font="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size=Yeah I realize this is the OC forum but a lot of y'all out here have CCW's as well... Being from the great state of Kalifornication, they handle CCW qualification a bit differently and I'm wondering if Nevada is the same. I can't find it specifically documented anywhere.

In Cali, when you're qualifying at the range, you have 20 seconds to empty your magazine and you'd better hit the target with each shot.

I can't find any documentation to back this up, but I'm told second and third hand that in Nevada, your range qualification consists of 25 to 30 rounds of ammo shot at a full sized silhouette target. However, nobody seems to know the answer when I ask what if you miss, are you allowed to miss and is there time requirement to empty your magazine in 20 seconds???

I'm taking my CCW class in two weeks and can hit the target about 90% of the time, but I still have an off shot! I know, "I" need to fix that :)
][/size][/font]

Dangerfish

imported post

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/concealedfirearmsclasses.html

QUALIFICATION COURSE
The qualification course consists of 36 rounds fired on a B-27 full sized target.

At 3 yards:
6 rounds right hand only, reload, 6 rounds left hand only
60 second time limit

At 7 yards:
12 rounds freestyle (two hands) (fire 6, reload, fire 6)
60 second time limit

At 15 yards:
60 second time limit

iSharpShooter

imported post

I understand, and I've seen very similar requirements for other classes. But is this a state requirement or just the way that particular class goes?

-b

flagellum

imported post

I took two CCW classes in Cali, and they were both completely different when it came to qualification.

I don't know that any state specifically outlines the range qualification.

The gun store one is cake, the ones in Cali that I took was harder, but with the amount of range time and coaching you get before hand, it should not be an issue.

Vegassteve

imported post

Dangerfish wrote:
http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/concealedfirearmsclasses.html

QUALIFICATION COURSE
The qualification course consists of 36 rounds fired on a B-27 full sized target.

At 3 yards:
6 rounds right hand only, reload, 6 rounds left hand only
60 second time limit

At 7 yards:
60 second time limit

At 15 yards:
60 second time limit
That is what the Gunstore does but it is not law. No other instructor that I know of in the state has any sort of time limit. And I know many. There is nothing in the NRS about time. The gunstore continues to give false info about gun laws here in our state.

Dangerfish

imported post

True, I was using that as an extreme. That's probally the hardest the test will be in NV.

iSharpShooter

imported post

The four of us (myself, wife, sister and brother-in-law) went to the CCW class offered at Scheels in Reno this weekend, put on by armedandsafe.com. It was a great class. The instructors had some real personality to them and made it interesting.

I won't go into all the details of the class and range but summarize by saying the range qualification was a piece of cake. Anyone who can hit the center of a human B21/27 target at 7 yards will have no problems. There are no time limits.

We learned that the NRS requires 25 to 30 rounds per piece to be within the 8, 9 or 10 scoring areas on the target (about the size of an 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper. We all qualified with all five of our pieces and it was done.

PM me if you want more details about the class/range, but the qualification is a snap and if you can aim anywhere near decent, you won't have a problem.

-b

Yard Sale

imported post

I've taken two Nevada CCW classes, my initial one and my renewal, from different instructors. There was no time limit in either class. In fact, the targets, distances, and rounds fired each string varied quite a bit.

varminter22

imported post

Yard Sale wrote:
I've taken two Nevada CCW classes, my initial one and my renewal, from different instructors. There was no time limit in either class. In fact, the targets, distances, and rounds fired each string varied quite a bit.
That seems a bit alarming. The minimum course of fire is mandated by the NSCA and deviation (below minimum requirements) could result in instructor disqualification.

NSCA Training Standards here: www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2

Page 2 of the NSCA's Training Stanndarts document,minimum basic course: www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/Documents/CCW/CCW_Training_Standards_p2.pdf

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

took mine 1 month ago at american shooters on springmountain and arville. I DOrecommend it there. The guy was actually ok. Only 1 or 2 anti oc comments, and a good amount of good comments.

No time limit. Easy enough to do with eyes closed. We did like 12 rounds at 15 yrds(or 12?) and 12 rounds at 7?

We skipped the 3 since if you can hit at 7 you can at 3

both hands or 1 hand or 2 hand or 3 hands...freestyle was fine with them. His name was Jack Hawley.

Its basically hitting full size targets. If you are blind...i think you seriously could still pass this qualification. They say to reload between the distances...but its not a tactical reload. You could have 1 mag, and put new rounds into that mag. etc.

CCW in NV/Vegas is very very easy. It's just retardedly expensive (usually aprox 100 course, $100.25 to the state) (hawley also does utah which is good in like 20+ states)

As of a month ago,I got my permit within a month. By statute they have 120 days to send it. See nevada shooters website. Ccw is a common topic there. feel free to pm me

varminter22

imported post

Note the requirement"a total of30 rds (25 rds for five shot revolvers) must be fired."

Instructors that deviate (with lesser requirements) are putting themselves at risk of being disqualified.

Also, in reference to comments about how "easy" it is, well, I cannot disagree; it is rare to to fail a person for shooting quals. But I'm happy with the requirements. After all, we're not talking about hitting arabbit in the head at 50 yds; we ARE talking about hitting at personal defense (up close & personal) distance.

wrightme

imported post

iSharpShooter wrote:
The four of us (myself, wife, sister and brother-in-law) went to the CCW class offered at Scheels in Reno this weekend, put on by armedandsafe.com. It was a great class. The instructors had some real personality to them and made it interesting.

I won't go into all the details of the class and range but summarize by saying the range qualification was a piece of cake. Anyone who can hit the center of a human B21/27 target at 7 yards will have no problems. There are no time limits.

We learned that the NRS requires 25 to 30 rounds per piece to be within the 8, 9 or 10 scoring areas on the target (about the size of an 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper. We all qualified with all five of our pieces and it was done.

PM me if you want more details about the class/range, but the qualification is a snap and if you can aim anywhere near decent, you won't have a problem.

-b
I know of no NRS that requires a minimum score. Refer to Varminter22's links as to training standards. If it ain't in the training standards, it simply ain't. The NRS does not define scoring.

Nat Reader

Current Nevada CCW Range Qualification Requirements

Below are the official MINIMUM range qualification requirements for the State of Nevada. Please note that some CCW classes can and will give a range qualification test that is harder than the minimum (such as the Gun Store, Front Sight, etc). Make sure oyu contact the CCW trainer first to find out what they do. Again these are the published state MINIMUM requirements as of May 2010 and are still valid as of this post:

NEVADA CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING STANDARDS
Revised May 24, 2010 by the NVSCA

Training

All training must take place within the state of Nevada. The course must be a minimum length of 8 hours. This can be one 8-hour course or two 4-hour courses that are no longer than 15 days apart. No certificate shall be issued until the student successfully completes the entire course. The course must include the approved written examination and firearms qualification for each make, model and caliber of any semiautomatic handgun listed on the certificate and/or “revolver” for any revolver on the certificate. The certificate is valid for the CCW application for one year from the date of successful completion of the course.
Training must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic handgun to which the application pertains, and in the laws of this State relating to the use of firearms and concealed carry of firearms, liability, and gun safety.
The certificate must list each make, model, and caliber of semiautomatic handgun and/or revolver. Revolvers do not require specific make, model or caliber to be listed. The certificate must state the course was 8 hours in length and the location the training occurred, to include classroom and range. The certificate shall have the instructor and student signatures and initials where appropriate.

Written Examination

The written examination attached will serve to demonstrate basic knowledge of the
required subjects. The test requires a minimum of 70% to pass, and will be indicated on the certificate as “Pass/Fail” only. In the event the student has a learning disability the test can be administered as an oral examination, with the same scoring requirements.

Firearms Qualification
A total of 30 rounds for 6 shot or larger capacity and 25 rounds for 5 shot capacity must be fired. Firearms with less than a 5 shot capacity will have to be reloaded at each stage to comply with the 5 shot capacity standards. A minimum score of 70% is required to pass, and shall be indicated on the certificate as “Pass/Fail” only. A humanoid style target such as the B27, B21 or FBI Q shall be used.

6 Shot Capacity Course

3 yards 6 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
5 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
7 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

5 Shot Capacity Course

3 yards 5 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
5 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
7 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

MKEgal

iSharpShooter said:
In Cali, when you're qualifying at the range, you have 20 seconds to empty your magazine and you'd better hit the target with each shot.
At first I thought "that'd be hard to do!"... then I remembered that CA bans magazines over 10 rounds.
(I carry a Glock 17; standard magazine is 17 rounds.)
Besides, what are the requirements for distance & target size?

Nevada doesn't sound hard at all.
Wonder why they pick on semi-autos? Revolvers come in various calibers, too.
I could qualify w/ a little .22, then carry a .45. Think they'd handle differently? :rolleyes:

wrightme

At first I thought "that'd be hard to do!"... then I remembered that CA bans magazines over 10 rounds.
(I carry a Glock 17; standard magazine is 17 rounds.)
Besides, what are the requirements for distance & target size?

Nevada doesn't sound hard at all.
Wonder why they pick on semi-autos? Revolvers come in various calibers, too.
I could qualify w/ a little .22, then carry a .45. Think they'd handle differently? :rolleyes:

I do believe that one now has a remedy in AB143, which has passed both the Assembly and the Senate.

Loneviking

I know of no NRS that requires a minimum score.

The regs say 70%, expressed as 'Pass or Fail'...

A total of 30 rounds for 6 shot or larger capacity

And there is your round count.

I've used Armed and Safe for my initial and all subsequent quals. They put the targets out at 7 yards and if you can dump 30 rounds into the 8,9,10 ring then you are good to go. This is not LESS than the regs, it's actually MORE than the regs. as the regs have you shooting at 3yards, then 5yards, then 7yards.

You do need to watch who you take the training from as the requirements to pass the shooting section vary quite a bit. The guys at Nevada Gun Exchange apparently make you shoot both strong and weak hand strings, which is not required by the regs. It's not too hard to pass the shooting section, but I have seen a lot of new shooters need quite a bit of coaching to do it.

Marco

Below are the official MINIMUM range qualification requirements for the State of Nevada. Please note that some CCW classes can and will give a range qualification test that is harder than the minimum (such as the Gun Store, Front Sight, etc). Make sure oyu contact the CCW trainer first to find out what they do. Again these are the published state MINIMUM requirements as of May 2010 and are still valid as of this post:

NEVADA CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING STANDARDS
Revised May 24, 2010 by the NVSCA

Training

All training must take place within the state of Nevada. The course must be a minimum length of 8 hours. This can be one 8-hour course or two 4-hour courses that are no longer than 15 days apart. No certificate shall be issued until the student successfully completes the entire course. The course must include the approved written examination and firearms qualification for each make, model and caliber of any semiautomatic handgun listed on the certificate and/or “revolver” for any revolver on the certificate. The certificate is valid for the CCW application for one year from the date of successful completion of the course.
Training must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic handgun to which the application pertains, and in the laws of this State relating to the use of firearms and concealed carry of firearms, liability, and gun safety.
The certificate must list each make, model, and caliber of semiautomatic handgun and/or revolver. Revolvers do not require specific make, model or caliber to be listed. The certificate must state the course was 8 hours in length and the location the training occurred, to include classroom and range. The certificate shall have the instructor and student signatures and initials where appropriate.

Written Examination

The written examination attached will serve to demonstrate basic knowledge of the
required subjects. The test requires a minimum of 70% to pass, and will be indicated on the certificate as “Pass/Fail” only. In the event the student has a learning disability the test can be administered as an oral examination, with the same scoring requirements.

Firearms Qualification
A total of 30 rounds for 6 shot or larger capacity and 25 rounds for 5 shot capacity must be fired. Firearms with less than a 5 shot capacity will have to be reloaded at each stage to comply with the 5 shot capacity standards. A minimum score of 70% is required to pass, and shall be indicated on the certificate as “Pass/Fail” only. A humanoid style target such as the B27, B21 or FBI Q shall be used.

6 Shot Capacity Course

3 yards 6 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
5 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
7 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

5 Shot Capacity Course

3 yards 5 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
5 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
7 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

1+

OP,
NV's permit qualifaction has been revised over the yrs, at one time there was a time limit was well as a kneeling and non dominate hand requirement, those are no longer in play.

Though I personally know the owner (Bob) of the Gun Store I wouldn't take my class there, many of the instructors pass on their opinion as law rather than the law, IME.

There are many new places that teach and do quals but I use Master Shooter's supply on Sahara, I've known Floyd for almost 20yrs, going to his shop is like to to Floyd's barber shop in Mayberry.
There is also an instructor a friend of mine thinks is fantasic named Jim Mayhugh (?), I've never met the man personally.

Nevada carrier

The instructor can set the standard higher than the required minimum and fail you if you do not meet the higher standard. The gun store adds a time limit because they want to sell you ammo to try again, and again, and again, and again.

Badger Johnson

We didn't do any range time in our class (Va).

We did go to the range with the instructor about 6 weeks later when he was able to schedule a group. Not sure he helped us much.

He did say 'I can't hear you' and 'What did you say?' a lot though. :)