• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Man Arrested for Stockpiling Guns/Ammo

Daath 474

imported post

Here is the link to the original story: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/police_man_with.html

A Manchester-by-the-Sea man who allegedly had a cache of weapons in his home told police he was preparing for Armageddon, authorities said.

Gregory D. Girard, 45, was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly storing several tear gas grenades and explosive pepper ball projectiles. He was also charged with the illegal possession of four police batons. Just before 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, Manchester-by-the Sea police executed a search warrant at 23 Bridge St., police said in a statement. Girard faces four counts of possession of an infernal device and four counts of possession of a dangerous weapon. Additional charges are pending, police said.
“He indicated to police that he anticipated some form of Armageddon to take place shortly and he was getting prepared,” Police Chief Glenn McKiel said.
In addition to the grenade-type devices, police found approximately 20 weapons, including high-powered rifles, shotguns, and handguns. All of the firearms were purchased and registered legally within the past 10 months, McKiel said.
Girard, a computer consultant, had a Class A license, which enabled him to purchase large-capacity firearms. According to police, he was granted the permit without question.
“He did not have a criminal record and there was no indication at the time [the permit] was issued that he shouldn’t have one,” McKiel said.
McKiel added police are not allowed to ask applicants why they are seeking a firearms permit.
Police also found a large collection of camouflage clothing, knives, bulletproof vests, helmets, and eight pairs of handcuffs in Girard’s home. They also discovered stockpiles of medicine and non-perishable foods. An illegal indoor shooting range was also found in the attic, police said.
Police seized all the weapons and ammunition and revoked Girard’s license to carry firearms.
Tactical officers evacuated two other condominium units in Girard's building and brought residents to the police department while the search was completed.
Salem District Court Judge Richard Mori ordered Girard held without bail after he pleaded not guilty at his arraignment this morning. Mori slated a dangerousness hearing for Feb. 12.

What I'm wondering is this: What did he do that warranted them to come and search his home? Was it just merely buying guns and ammo? I realize he shouldn't have had some of those things, but nonetheless it seems they didn't base their search on that, but rather on the fact that he was stockpiling weapons.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I hope someone will reply. I hope he was jacked for the grenades and other illegal stuff. Is the fact that I own six guns and I have several thousand rounds of ammo "in reserve" something that is going to get me put in jail?

Is there some law regarding how many guns and ammo you can have?

Anthony

amlevin

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
What I'm wondering is this: What did he do that warranted them to come and search his home? Was it just merely buying guns and ammo? I realize he shouldn't have had some of those things, but nonetheless it seems they didn't base their search on that, but rather on the fact that he was stockpiling weapons.

He either blabbed or bragged to his friends, or he was the victim of a sting when he purchased the "infernal device".

Busts like this usually start out on information being received that someone is stockpiling weapons and is looking for something to add that is illegal. He gets passed around and ends up with a police undercover who then offers what he wants. The rest is in the newspapers.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

These 'explosive pepper balls' are nothing more than paintballs with the equivalent of cayenne pepper in them... No more explosive than any other paintball..

and 'tear gas grenades'? Who gives a ****?!

The guy has a license to buy guns (because in MA you need one) but they arrest him for POSSESING BATONS?!@!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Daath 474 wrote:

He either blabbed or bragged to his friends, or he was the victim of a sting when he purchased the "infernal device".

Busts like this usually start out on information being received that someone is stockpiling weapons and is looking for something to add that is illegal. He gets passed around and ends up with a police undercover who then offers what he wants. The rest is in the newspapers.
Or posted his tinfoil hat rants on Opencarry.org. :shock: LOL.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Felony charges have been filed against one of the men arrested with a cache of weapons in their car near Sultan over the weekend.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960626&slug=2336411

Man charged in weapons cache
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000316&slug=4010326

Tukwila man's 'safe room' packed with guns, saw-blade, mace
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/415176_STOCKPILE08.html

Looking for the Trifecta...

At least two men pistol-whipped and robbed a man
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...istol-whipped_robbed_at_s.html?prmid=obinsite

A woman leaving work at Bellevue Commons around 5 p.m. Wednesday was pistol-whipped by a man
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...pistol-whipped_at_bellev.html?syndication=rss

Metalhead47

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
cynicist wrote:
Has a whole arsenal and is arrested for 4 clubs and non-lethal tear gas? Can we force Massachusetts to secede?
No, we don't want them to. We need that 41st vote in the Senate
OK how about we just deport the 90% of the state's population that are leftists to Kalifornia & then make Kalifornia secede? :celebrate

Maybe we could throw in NYC & DC to sweeten the deal?

Richard6218

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
cynicist wrote:
Has a whole arsenal and is arrested for 4 clubs and non-lethal tear gas? Can we force Massachusetts to secede?
No, we don't want them to. We need that 41st vote in the Senate
OK how about we just deport the 90% of the state's population that are leftists to Kalifornia & then make Kalifornia secede? :celebrate

Maybe we could throw in NYC & DC to sweeten the deal?
DC would be a push, because they don't have a Senate seat. But losingKali-forn-i-a would get rid of Boxer and Feinstein. I kinda like that idea :lol::lol:

old dog

imported post

Metalhead et al. could be on to something. Wouldn't it be great if Real America could find a way to sanitize our union (Boston area, Manhattan, LA, Frisco, Chicago. You get the picture).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, these are interesting. Consider this and every bit is true.

My father who is in his early 60's has over 300 firearms. Handguns, long guns, AR's, SKS, AK's, pre ban, post ban, etc... a definate collector but with many semi-auto sport rifles (see: 'assualt' if you are an anti :lol:). And the ammo to match each firearm.

His son-in-law is US Secret Service, having spent time on POTUS detail. (see: he works for Big Brother....litterally!)

Now everything was purchased legally and my father is a perfect citizen.

Either these others have multiple illegal items or other problems. Or, my dad is next...LOL.:celebrate

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Many of you have accepted the FALSE PREMISE that "keeping" arms is subject to regulation..... HE HAD NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS ACCORDING TO THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!

What part of "Shall not be infringed" does everyone seem to happily IGNORE!!!

I swear... the reason why they can keep us all cowed like sheep is that we refuse to stand together...

Remember the immortal words of Ben Franklin... "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately!"

And the States DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO VIOLATE OUR INALIENABLE RIGHTS... because if they do... then nothing is sacred, we are all serfs and we might as well start the damn armed insurrection right now.

Stand now peacefully... or I guarantee you, we will not be able to avoid a violent revolution... John F Kennedy said it best when he said "Those that make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable."

We cannot accept the false premise laid down for the past 200 years... we have to fight... demand our Liberty... and if they refuse us our basic, natural rights... we must take them.

amlevin

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Many of you have accepted the FALSE PREMISE that "keeping" arms is subject to regulation..... HE HAD NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS ACCORDING TO THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!

It isn't that we accept it, it is just the way it is. The Supreme Court states that reasonable regulation is allowed under the Constitution. Under our Constitution, it says what the SCOTUS says it says. They, and only they, have the final say on interpretation.

PT111

imported post

Gregory D. Girard, 45, was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly storing several tear gas grenades and explosive pepper ball projectiles. He was also charged with the illegal possession of four police batons.
I just want to know where it said he was arrested for having too many weapons or stockpiling weapons and ammo. It says that he was arrested for having tear gas grenades etc., nothing about guns. I will not disasree or argue about the legality of such weapons but he was not arrested for having too many guns as the OP tried to make it sound. This is the same tactics that the Brady Bunch uses and puts us in the same category.

Just Us

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Felony charges have been filed against one of the men arrested with a cache of weapons in their car near Sultan over the weekend.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960626&slug=2336411

Man charged in weapons cache
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000316&slug=4010326

Unregistered guns????????

The drugs and other misc., good for the FEDs.

Illegal batons?? Can't we legally buy batons?? I believe so!!