• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

Rune

imported post

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to my fellow washintonians. Been an anonymous lurker on this forum for quite some time, but after getting my carry permit today, Ive decided to finally join. I grew up in a military family and one that is from New England, so Ive always been a firm 2nd Amendment believer. I grew up around rifles and not handguns however, so its taken me about a year to make the decision to start to carry. Not to mention all the crazy stuff since moving to Kent as well as recent events in WA. I don't have a firearm yet, but will most likely be rectifying that within the next 2-4 weeks. Right now I'm leaning very heavily towards getting a Glock 19. I have a co-worker who has one so we shall be scheduling some range time before I buy to make sure its comfortable for me. Hopefully Ill be able to show up to some of the group gatherings, carrying or not. I also have to sort out the Firearm Policy at work, as it is extremely vague right now, and in my mind from what Ive been able to research here and on other sites, potentially illegal. But thats another story. Eitherway I hope to get to meet some of you in the future. If you have any comments or advice, Its always greatfully appreciated.

Sparky508

imported post

Welcome to the forum,

The folks here are a deep well of knowledge, and advice.

But bring some salt............................:p

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Comments: The G19 is a great weapon and will serve you well. Find a good holster(s), a real belt,buy some spare mags and a LOT of ammo and enjoy!

Advice: Carry as much as you possibly can, and where-ever you can, and cover your "six."

Enjoy the forum. (oh, and pass the salt please!);)

Crypto

imported post

Rune wrote:
I also have to sort out the Firearm Policy at work, as it is extremely vague right now, and in my mind from what Ive been able to research here and on other sites, potentially illegal.

Why would it be illegal for you to carry at work? I'm a construction worker but currently out of work. When I do go back though. I will carry my pistol at work.

To lazy, to look up the rcw's right now. I will here in a bit. I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

I also carry a Glock 21. .45 cali.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Welcome Rune. I live in Kent on the East hill ( Benson Hwy ). There is a dinner on Saturday night at Dixie's BBQin Bellevue. I'm heading up there so if you need a ride I could come pick you up. Also, on Monday, if you have the day off, there is a huge anti-tax ralley in Olympia at the capitol building. I'm picking up DEROS and I have room if you want a ride down there.

ETA: I carry a Glock 21SF. I prefer the .45 ACP, but the G19 is a super gun.

Rune

imported post

The work policy as it stands right now is that unauthorized firearms, weapons and explosives will be prohibited on all XXXX premises. The problem I have with it right now is I want "unauthorized" defined, as well as what is considered "premises". Does this mean iffollowingstate law its authorized, as well as does premises mean building, parking lot, rental property, etc. Id love to carry into work given the nature of the type of people we deal with but the only way that would ever occur is with a massive legal battle. Im more interested in being able to bring my gun with me to work and keep it locked in the back of the truck so that when I get off I can go straight to the range and not have to go home to get it. In my mind not an unreasonable request.My boss agrees this is reasonable, the director has a slightly different take on it, and HR will be hell. If it goes all the way to theExec Director, its gonna get ugly. Hes suppose to talk to them tommorow. I question the legality of it because we fall into the samecategory as Port of Seattle. We recieve federal and state funding, and are considered a munincipality. From what Ive gathered it means that we are a public facility and cant ban firearms. Whether this just public or employees I dont know. Either way Im not interested in causing that much of a ruckus. Until I get clarification I really dont want to name my employer. I think part of what is going to hurt me is the fact that Im only 22 asking for that. People have preconceptions that are hard to change. Never mind 2 others in my Dept are CC and want to do that same as I do. They just dont want to speak up.

Spyder - I may actually be able to make that meet in Bellevue. Ill look up the thread with the details on it.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The work policy as it stands right now is that unauthorized firearms, weapons and explosives will be prohibited on all XXXX premises. The problem I have with it right now is I want "unauthorized" defined, as well as what is considered "premises"
Trust me on this one, you don't want to go to HR on this one. The vagueness is your friend legally.
According to the BATF an unauthorized weapon is one that has been illegally modified or one that you have not paid the tax stamps and therefore illegal to own. If you are over 21 and there is no legal reason to keep you from buying/owning the weapon, then you are authorized. Do not read into the what-ifs, or perceived company policy.

You start messing with HR & they will rewrite the policy to say "no weapons" as my company did.

Premises according to many RCW's includes; Any property, building, structures or land owned.

<this is in no way legal advice, I am not a lawyer>

Rune

imported post

Gunr - Normally I run with the better to ask forgiveness than permission, and like vagueness, however violation of said policy results in termination. So If it means I have to park across the street I will. I just think its retarded. But when it comes to my job its one battle I dont want to take on.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Comments: The G19 is a great weapon and will serve you well. Find a good holster(s), a real belt,buy some spare mags and a LOT of ammo and enjoy!

Advice: Carry as much as you possibly can, and where-ever you can, and cover your "six."

Enjoy the forum. (oh, and pass the salt please!);)
PLUS 1.

I never wore belts until I started carrying. And I love my G-19. And you can find them for reasonable prices.

I work construction too, own business, I need to get a shoulder holster though, my bags get in the way.

Metalhead47

imported post

Rune wrote:
I question the legality of it because we fall into the samecategory as Port of Seattle. We recieve federal and state funding, and are considered a munincipality. From what Ive gathered it means that we are a public facility and cant ban firearms. Whether this just public or employees I dont know.
I'm in the same boat. As I understand it, when a gov't agency is acting as an employer, they have every legal justification to restrict you from possessing a weapon on property. You can't be arrested if caught, but as you pointed out, you can get fired. But if you never get caught....

Many folks in similar situations would call themselves "conscientious objectors" to a company policy that restricts their ability to defend themselves, and do what they feel they need to.

It can be a gray area as to whether an employer has the legal right to search an employee vehicle on company property too.

I'm not suggesting or encouraging you take any specific course of action, of course. :uhoh:

Rune

imported post

Yeah...Im going to wait to see the outcome of this. If they say no, well Im just going to have to park 3ft over the divider in the other parking lot. :DAs if 3ft truly makes any difference. Ironically my former director was pro-carry and keep his .45 in the car all day long. I can only hope for the best. But then again I may follow the above advice. Isnt that the whole point of CC? Out of sight, out of other's minds....

Metalhead47

imported post

Rune wrote:
Yeah...Im going to wait to see the outcome of this. If they say no, well Im just going to have to park 3ft over the divider in the other parking lot. :DAs if 3ft truly makes any difference. Ironically my former director was pro-carry and keep his .45 in the car all day long. I can only hope for the best. But then again I may follow the above advice. Isnt that the whole point of CC? Out of sight, out of other's minds....
That was NOT advice :lol:

It was an expression of opinions (not necessarily my own), that a person may or may not take into account when they choose a course of action for which they are entirely responsible and no warranty is expressed or implied. Your mileage may vary, past performance does not guarantee future results, some assembly required, any videos submitted will not be opened, acknowledged, or returned, IANAL, and above all do NOT try this at home!
:dude:

Rune

imported post

:lol: I know. Personal Responsibility. God I hate having authority issues. Im actually working on a letter for my director right now, explaining my reasoning, state law, and can you clarify? Nice, polite and political of course. I figure its an uphill battle but if you dont fight it at some point you cant complain about the results later.