• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW

havee

imported post

We have moved out of HELL :celebrate(florida), back to the free state of New Hampshire :monkey ( land of OC with out permit) and are in the middle of changing residency. How do I go about switching my permit from Res to :uhoh:a non-res.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

According the the deputy my dad spoke with, there is no "resident" or "non resident" permit. Florida issues permits to anyone who meets their requirements regardless of where they live. There is no difference in the permits other than the holders address. The only thing you will need to do is notify them of your change of address as required.

My dad went thru all that when he moved to Las Vegas a few months ago.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address. You can change your address online. Alternatively, you can submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:
[align=center] Division of Licensing
P.O. Box 3030
Tallahassee, FL 32315-3030
[/align] The law does not require a concealed weapon licensee to obtain a replacement license after a change of address. You can continue to carry your current license until it expires. However, if you would like a revised license reflecting your new address, please submit a written request for a replacement license to the address above along with a personal check or money order made payable to the Division of Licensing in the amount of $15.00 AND a passport-type color photograph.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
According the the deputy my dad spoke with, there is no "resident" or "non resident" permit. Florida issues permits to anyone who meets their requirements regardless of where they live. There is no difference in the permits other than the holders address.
Very very wrong. There is a difference, especially if you plan on using the Florida permit in other states. Some of the states that have reciprocity with Florida do not recognize the non-resident permit and thus if you're caught carrying concealed you would be in violation of state law.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I'm not sure where you got your info from. I suggest you contact the Dept. of Agriculture for the facts.

I have family in Jacksonville and there is NO DIFFERENCE in the permits other than personal info and permit Number. Unlike Virginia, who issues a permit with NON RESIDENT CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT stamped across it, Florida has stated that they "makes no distinction between residents and non residents. The State of Florida issues permits to anyone who meets the qualifications..."
In fact, go to the website and download the application. There is only ONE application and nowhere does it ask for state of residency.

The way that a state who does not honor non-resident permits would know that you are a non resident of Florida is if you do not have a Florida drivers license. So if you were stopped in Texas with a Georgia driver license and a Florida CHP then they would know you were not a resident of Florida.

You can also email the DOA for clarification.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

OK, you're starting to irritate me putting out false information and potentially putting someone in legal trouble.

The address you provide in the formincludes your address which also includes your cityand state.You also have to provide in your packet proof of residency of said addressotherwise you will be denied.Your address is then provided on your permit making it a non-resident permit. Any cop who can read can check your permit for the state that's in the address line.

From the DOA Reciprocity page

4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

But go ahead dude, don't update your license, hope you don't plan on keeping a Florida permit for long.

Oh and I don't care if you have family in Jacksonville, that doesn't make you a subject matter expert. That makes you a second or third hand source of information.

JeepSeller

imported post

Taken straight from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing website....

Found here for your verification..

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/changes.html

..............begin quote directly from State's website...........

[align=center]FOR CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSEES [/align]Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address. You can change your address online. Alternatively, you can submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:

[align=center]Division of Licensing
P.O. Box 3030
Tallahassee, FL 32315-3030
[/align]

[align=left]
The law does not require a concealed weapon licensee to obtain a replacement license after a change of address. You can continue to carry your current license until it expires. However, if you would like a revised license reflecting your new address, please submit a written request for a replacement license to the address above along with a personal check or money order made payable to the Division of Licensing in the amount of $15.00 AND a passport-type color photograph.

......................... end of quote................

First of all, it's clear as a bell in black and white. You are required by law to change your address in 30 days. However, you are NOT required to obtain a NEW license reflecting your new address. Dont' take my word for it..it's right there on the State's website...but, I copied it for your convenience. You can continue to carry your existing CWL with your old Florida address until it expires.

There is absolutely NOTHING on a Florida Concealed Weapon License that designates "RESIDENT" or "NON RESIDENT". YOUR Florida issued Concealed Weapon License out of state lookes exactly identical to mine with the exeption of your photograph and your personal information. NOWHERE will it say NON RESIDENT.

Meaning, Florida issues the License to anyone who meets the criteria. Period. Regardless of where you live. They'll send you the same exact license I have living here. It's up to YOUR state to determine if they will honor it or not based upon your residency...nothing on or having to do with your Floirda license.

NOW, if your state does not honor what they deem a NON RESIDENT Florida CWL..it simply means that you must be a resident of Florida...nothing more. It has nothing to do with what's written on your CWL, even the address written on the CWL. [/align]

[align=left]For example, if you obtained a Florida CWL while living in Georgia, THEN moved to Florida, based on the above quoted law, you do NOT have to obtain a new CWL reflecting you new Florida address. HOWEVER, since you are NOWa Florida resident, those states in question are no longer an issue. You are no longer a non resident Florida CWL holder. [/align]

[align=left]
Unlike some states Florida makes absolutely no distinction between a resident or non resident CWL.However, YOUR state may.

There isdifference and apparently some confusion regarding this issue.

Hopefully,I've managed to helpclearit up some.
[/align]
[align=left]In the end, it's NOT your FLorida CWL that proves your residency...it would be more likely your Drivers License, since you ARE required by most states to keep that up to date and obtain THAT state's DL within a given period of time. So, when you hand your FL CWL to the nice officer along with your Georgia DL, if Georgia honors Florida's CWL unrestricted, you'll be on your way. If the do not honor what they deem a NON resident Florida CWL, you might be in for a long day. :lol:

[/align]