Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain

Post imported post

Was @ Gander Mtn in Marquette today. Large lettering on the stores entrance stated that guns must be checked in at the front register if they are brought in for repair ect. It specifically exempted persons carrying either open or concealed in accordance with the laws of the state of Michigan.

Even though I don't see many "no guns" signs (AT&T, & Charter have them), it's nice to see a business, even if it is a sporting goods store, that "advertise" that they welcome both open and concealed firearms to be carried on their property.
    Rand Paul 2016

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Agreed. Supposedly Bass Pro shop was in the process of changing their signs to reflect the same message. Not sure if they have yet or not.

Post imported post

I was told at cabelas that if i OC'ed in to the store and then wanted to have my gun worked on if i pulled it out at the firearms counter in the back i would be guilty of brandishing, now if i am doing nothing criminal isnt that false as i am in process of have the gun repaired??

Banned

Post imported post

WTF Cant wait to see the post on this one.... Did you get the name of the person that stated this?

Post imported post

this was told to me by the guy checking guns at the door, i wasnt totally sure so i had broughtthe gunin its case but i askedand that is was the guy said

Post imported post

Zukirider wrote:
    this was told to me by the guy checking guns at the door, i wasnt totally sure so i had broughtthe gunin its case but i askedand that is was the guy said
    Half of the LEO we run into do not know the firearm laws of MI well enough, what makes you think some greeter at GM does?

Post imported post

Zukirider wrote:
    I was told at cabelas that if i OC'ed in to the store and then wanted to have my gun worked on if i pulled it out at the firearms counter in the back i would be guilty of brandishing, now if i am doing nothing criminal isnt that false as i am in process of have the gun repaired??
    That's ridiculous, but most gun shops I've heard about want guns that are being worked on brought in carried in a case.

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    That's ridiculous, but most gun shops I've heard about want guns that are being worked on brought in carried in a case.
    I agree. If you're going to have your carry pistol worked on, take the case with you and unload and case it before exiting the vehicle--simple.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    T Vance wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    I agree. If you're going to have your carry pistol worked on, take the case with you and unload and case it before exiting the vehicle--simple.
    Just make sure you have your BUG on still...

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    That's too bad Cabelas. Our table was at Cabelas and many of us have OC'ed at their store. I've OC'ed there many many times without any incident. I hope you set them straight on what brandishing is. Though if you had to draw you're firearms I would hope they would have an area setup for clearing it.

Post imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    T Vance wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    Just make sure you have your BUG on still...
    That's one of the Pro's of Michigan's firearm laws, there's no statute limiting the number of pistols a person can carry.

Post imported post

Zukirider wrote:
    Isn't it common sense that if your going to have work done on your gun you would check it in at the door? And if your shopping for a holster or anything for the gun that would require you to draw it. That is Jays policy and it is for their own safety. I think that is perfectly resaonable.

Post imported post

T.J. wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    Isn't it common sense that if your going to have work done on your gun you would check it in at the door? And if your shopping for a holster or anything for the gun that would require you to draw it. That is Jays policy and it is for their own safety. I think that is perfectly resaonable.
    i have no problem with their request on that. if its loaded it stays in the holster, period. if you want it to be worked on, bring it in unloaded (especially at the big box stores). now... at the little gun shops, i have seen it both ways, but you still always check with the person before you draw it out if they are ok with it. more times then not... they are ok with it. just be safe while doing it with others around.

jay's has the same policy. cc and oc ok, but if going to have it worked on, must be checked at the door.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    Zukirider wrote:
    Half of the LEO we run into do not know the firearm laws of MI well enough, what makes you think some greeter at GM does?
    He was at Cabelas, Fat, not GM. That has happened in the past to me where I got the name of the place wrong.springerdave.

Post imported post

You mean you saw this sign? Nice they put it on their website...

http://www.gandermountain.com/custom...rypolicy.shtml

Post imported post

Yep Gander Mountain may be a little more on some things but they are pro RTKBA!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

craigm wrote:
    You mean you saw this sign? Nice they put it on their website...

http://www.gandermountain.com/custom...rypolicy.shtml
    awesome! :-) might have to pay gander mtn for some more visits :-)
    i think that is probably the first publicly announced corporate policy on OC?

Post imported post

First I've seen of its kind...

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Yep Gander Mountain may be a little more on some things but they are pro RTKBA!!
    They also match prices!!

Post imported post

Within a certain radius of the store, I guess they do. I don't go there any more because when 9mm was hard to come by, they raised prices from $19.95 to $34.95. The XDM I bought for $580+S&H is $699 there. And when Dad and I were shopping, an associate walked by, asked if he could help with anything, and as we told him what we were looking for he just kept on walking. Looking young, they pretty much ignore me at the pistol counter. They've always thought they wouldn't bother with trying to make a sale to me, so they never have.

Post imported post

I have never heard of that kind of problems at the Portage store... but then I guess I don't look so young anymore
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

The GM in Grand Rapids, just off of 28th st has the same sign.. I did a double take on it Monday when a buddy and I went in there... Cool to see.. :celebrate

Post imported post

As much as I give them (very deserved) criticism for their gun related pricing, you have to give them serious credit for being overtly supportive of defensive carry.

I was so pleased to see a sign like that, same as others here, I snapped this pic at the Novi store:

Post imported post

Tao wrote:
    As much as I give them (very deserved) criticism for their gun related pricing, you have to give them serious credit for being overtly supportive of defensive carry.

I was so pleased to see a sign like that, same as others here, I snapped this pic at the Novi store:

I notice this sign doesn't mention OC. The one @ the Marquette store specifically states the OC is OK
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

That is the old sign.. they are slowly being replaced with the new one when they get sun faded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast