• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain

Yooper

imported post

Was @ Gander Mtn in Marquette today. Large lettering on the stores entrance stated that guns must be checked in at the front register if they are brought in for repair ect. It specifically exempted persons carrying either open or concealed in accordance with the laws of the state of Michigan.

Even though I don't see many "no guns" signs (AT&T, & Charter have them), it's nice to see a business, even if it is a sporting goods store, that "advertise" that they welcome both open and concealed firearms to be carried on their property.

Zukirider

imported post

I was told at cabelas that if i OC'ed in to the store and then wanted to have my gun worked on if i pulled it out at the firearms counter in the back i would be guilty of brandishing, now if i am doing nothing criminal isnt that false as i am in process of have the gun repaired??

Zukirider

imported post

this was told to me by the guy checking guns at the door, i wasnt totally sure so i had broughtthe gunin its case but i askedand that is was the guy said

FatboyCykes

imported post

Zukirider wrote:
this was told to me by the guy checking guns at the door, i wasnt totally sure so i had broughtthe gunin its case but i askedand that is was the guy said
Half of the LEO we run into do not know the firearm laws of MI well enough, what makes you think some greeter at GM does?

T Vance

imported post

Zukirider wrote:
I was told at cabelas that if i OC'ed in to the store and then wanted to have my gun worked on if i pulled it out at the firearms counter in the back i would be guilty of brandishing, now if i am doing nothing criminal isnt that false as i am in process of have the gun repaired??
That's ridiculous, but most gun shops I've heard about want guns that are being worked on brought in carried in a case.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
That's ridiculous, but most gun shops I've heard about want guns that are being worked on brought in carried in a case.
I agree. If you're going to have your carry pistol worked on, take the case with you and unload and case it before exiting the vehicle--simple.

mudvr1212

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
I agree. If you're going to have your carry pistol worked on, take the case with you and unload and case it before exiting the vehicle--simple.
Just make sure you have your BUG on still...

mikestilly

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Zukirider wrote:

That's too bad Cabelas. Our table was at Cabelas and many of us have OC'ed at their store. I've OC'ed there many many times without any incident. I hope you set them straight on what brandishing is. Though if you had to draw you're firearms I would hope they would have an area setup for clearing it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
Just make sure you have your BUG on still...
That's one of the Pro's of Michigan's firearm laws, there's no statute limiting the number of pistols a person can carry. :)

T.J.

imported post

Zukirider wrote:
Isn't it common sense that if your going to have work done on your gun you would check it in at the door? And if your shopping for a holster or anything for the gun that would require you to draw it. That is Jays policy and it is for their own safety. I think that is perfectly resaonable.

viperar15

imported post

T.J. wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
Isn't it common sense that if your going to have work done on your gun you would check it in at the door? And if your shopping for a holster or anything for the gun that would require you to draw it. That is Jays policy and it is for their own safety. I think that is perfectly resaonable.

i have no problem with their request on that. if its loaded it stays in the holster, period. if you want it to be worked on, bring it in unloaded (especially at the big box stores). now... at the little gun shops, i have seen it both ways, but you still always check with the person before you draw it out if they are ok with it. more times then not... they are ok with it. just be safe while doing it with others around.

jay's has the same policy. cc and oc ok, but if going to have it worked on, must be checked at the door.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
Half of the LEO we run into do not know the firearm laws of MI well enough, what makes you think some greeter at GM does?
He was at Cabelas, Fat, not GM. That has happened in the past to me where I got the name of the place wrong.springerdave.

craigm

imported post

Within a certain radius of the store, I guess they do. I don't go there any more because when 9mm was hard to come by, they raised prices from $19.95 to $34.95. The XDM I bought for $580+S&H is $699 there. And when Dad and I were shopping, an associate walked by, asked if he could help with anything, and as we told him what we were looking for he just kept on walking. Looking young, they pretty much ignore me at the pistol counter. They've always thought they wouldn't bother with trying to make a sale to me, so they never have.