• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Company Firearm Policy Clarification Letter

Rune

imported post

So In my intro thread I mentioned that I was seeking clarification on my companies firearm policies. Usually Id just ask for forgiveness but given that violation of the policy results in termination, I want to make sure Im 100% in the right. I figured Id ask you guys to proof it first as you have a little more experience dealing with weapon issues in the state than I do. Make any comments on things I should change or if it sounds good as is. Sorry if this is in a wrong section. Thanks!!!!

Dear XXXX

Regarding the conversation that XXXX had with you regarding my request for clarification on XXXX’s weapon policy and knowing you had indicated to him that you would discuss it with HR, I just wanted to follow up with you with what I would like to try to get as a solid answer. The concerns arise out of the fact that myself and a few other employees would like to be able to go to the firing range located by work without spending the time to go back home to obtain our firearms, but are concerned with running afoul of company policy.

At the time that such activities would occur, each of the said employees would be legally licensed by the State of Washington to Conceal Carry their weapons. This does not mean said employees actually have any wish or desire to carry within the XXXX Office or any other XXXX property. Rather we are simply asking for permission to keep our firearms locked and secured in our personal vehicles in the manner legally prescribed by the state and consistent with our permits. After speaking with HR in the past regarding this issue, I was informed that as long as the firearm was locked and out of sight within my vehicle, there would be no issues. However given that XXXX’s policy states that “any unauthorized firearm, weapon, or explosive is prohibited on any XXXX premises” we would like clarification on the policy to ensure that the before mentioned policy is still accurate and holds true before proceeding to do so.

Does “unauthorized” mean not approved by XXXX, which would seem to indicate that there is an approval process that one must go through? Does it mean not authorized by either Federal or State law, which would seem to indicate that as long as you abide by RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms[/b], we would be authorized to have said weapons in our vehicles? We would also like clarification as to what the policy means with regards to “premises”? Does XXXX define this as only the physical building? Or does it also include the parking lots as well? Does it apply to any building that XXXX may be leasing as well as said parking lot, even if it is a common parking lot? What if I park across the street from the XXXX office? Would I still be fine?

Once clarification is resolved, if a formal letter declaring the clear policy of the company could be issued to us, or even included in the employee handbook, it would be greatly appreciated. Our intention is not to cause any issues, but simply to clarify and ensure that we are compliant with company policies. If for any reason anyone has any concerns or questions please feel free to have them discuss them with me, as I want to assuage any fears or concerns that may be had.

Respectfully Yours,

massivedesign

imported post

Rune wrote:
Does “unauthorized” mean not approved by XXXX, which would seem to indicate that there is an approval process that one must go through? Does it mean not authorized by either Federal or State law, which would seem to indicate that as long as you abide by RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms, we would be authorized to have said weapons in our vehicles? We would also like clarification as to what the policy means with regards to “premises”? Does XXXX define this as only the physical building? Or does it also include the parking lots as well? Does it apply to any building that XXXX may be leasing as well as said parking lot, even if it is a common parking lot? What if I park across the street from the XXXX office? Would I still be fine?
I would revise this slightly. With all those questions it almost sounds like badgering. Maybe put them in bullets (no pun intended)...

Also, as far as "clarification to the premises". I would just leave it at the original question. And let them define, don't put all these scenarios into the paragraph, it makes it seem like you are looking for a loophole.

Common parking lots, unless they exclusively pay to maintain and secure the property (and I am not talking CAM charges), then don't even bring that up.. That would fall back to the land lease with the company(ies). Festival parking (common parking lots) usually have verbiage in the tenant lease that states the owners policies trump tenants policies on the common grounds. To make it easy... just pull it out, cause that is/can/will be your black sheep.

Across the street, off any persons property, they will have no control over. That would be similar to them telling you that you can't have one at home... Would you let that fly?

Other than that!.. Good letter.

skiingislife725

imported post

Looks good as is in my opinion. The only thing I can think of is that the questions posed start to lean more and more towards "can we carry in the building?", even though you stated to them that it'll be kept in a vehicle. But I'm not so sure they'll pick up on that anyways...I'm sure they'll just think you're clarifying all aspects of the company policy...which is true for the most part if I remember your last thread correctly.

Rune

imported post

Thanks guys for the advice. I tweaked it a little and used what you said. Brought it in this morning and got my co-workers who support it to sign and then gave it to my director. We shall see what happens now.

Aryk45XD

imported post

Good job on the letter. It's a great idea to have things clarified. I have made people aware at work that I go to the range frequently right after work and will leave it at that. If they want to search my vehicle, they can get a warrant. My safety is my top priority. :)

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I carry to work everyday. The place I work has a "no guns" policy, so I park just across the street and leave my weapon locked in the car. From my work station I can see my car and keep an eye on things, which is my job anyway.

Just lucky, I guess!

Rune

imported post

So I got an update yesterday on this. Evidently they dont know what to make of the request. They've only had the question asked once before and it was by a part-time deputy who wanted to do the same as I. Just keep it locked in the vehicle. They're asking the risk manager, company legal, etc to figure out if premises actually includes the parking lot. Its kinda amusing. Im thinking its not going to come out in my favor but we shall see. Oh and I got my permit in the mail today. 2 week turnaround time. Time to go shopping...

Rune

imported post

Yes however WA is an at will state. Better to not piss off. Someone was telling me at the last meet that one of the members got fired for keeping his gun locked in his vehicle. In this economy its not worth pissing off your employer.

Rune

imported post

So I finally got my response back. It was what I expected. No firearms, knives, weapons, etc on any premise period. It was kinda funny because evidently they were worried about the legality of such a thing and even threw in mention of Cherry vs Seattle as their basis of why they could ban. Well at least I know for sure. Just means I need to park a foot over the grass median from here on out in the other parking lot. :lol: ******* communists........

joeroket

imported post

Rune wrote:
So I finally got my response back. It was what I expected. No firearms, knives, weapons, etc on any premise period. It was kinda funny because evidently they were worried about the legality of such a thing and even threw in mention of Cherry vs Seattle as their basis of why they could ban. Well at least I know for sure. Just means I need to park a foot over the grass median from here on out in the other parking lot.  :lol: @#$%ing communists........

This is why we need to get the legislature to pass law that extends our home to our car, wherever it may be. It is asinine that we be disarmed for the sole reason that our employer wants zero weapons on their property regardless if it is in your car or not. I Guess I am lucky in the fact that my employer simply recognizes state law, however state law does not allow me to carry outside of my vehicle.