• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dangerous action figures

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This article is from the Staten Island Advance

NO TOLERANCE FOR TRIFLES
Big brouhaha over tiny toy gun
Fourth-grader narrowly avoids suspension for 2-inch plastic 'weapon' in South Beach school
Wednesday, February 03, 2010
By AMISHA PADNANI
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A 9-year-old New Dorp boy learned there is no wiggle room in the Department of Education's "no toy gun" policy -- even if the toy gun is just two inches long.

Patrick Timoney, a fourth-grader at PS 52, South Beach, was nearly suspended yesterday after playing with LEGOs during his lunch period because one of the action figures was carrying a toy machine gun.

He and his friends had planned a playdate with their respective toys, and were sitting around the cafeteria table when the principal walked in and saw the action figure carrying the fake gun.

While the action figure was a standard LEGO policeman figure, the brand of the gun could not be determined.

"She took him into her office in the middle of the lunch period and he was crying," said the boy's mother, Laura Timoney. "He was afraid."

The principal called Ms. Timoney and said she considered the toy suspension-worthy, and that she was going to double-check with a security administrator from the city Department of Education.

According to Ms. Timoney, the administrator said the toy should be confiscated and returned to the parents at the end of the day, and that no other action was necessary.

"It's crazy," Ms. Timoney said. "He's missing class time, all for silly toys. The boys are just trying to relax. If there's a real threat, why not call the Police Department?" She pointed out that another child had an action figure that was holding an ax, but that only Patrick was reprimanded.

"When are we going to take responsibility for common sense and logic?" Ms. Timoney said.

The DOE's discipline code says that all imitation weap- ons are prohibited, but, be-fore considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.

A message left for Principal Evelyn Matroianni was not returned. However, Margie Feinberg, a spokeswoman for the DOE, said there is a no-tolerance policy when it comes to fake guns because they are considered harmful to the school community.

"Toy guns are not allowed in schools," she said, adding that a conference was held among the principal, the parents and the student about the topic.

"The issue was resolved," Ms. Feinberg said. "The child will not be bringing the toy gun into school."

Amisha Padnani covers education news for the Advance. She may be reached at padnani@siadvance.com.

Doesn'tthat frost the pumpkin?

I had a similar situation happen in my family. My 11 year old grandson was reprimanded under a no tolerance rule in a Wisconsin school. He is allways playing army and wants nothing more than to grow up so he can join up. Recently the students in his class were asked to write a report on a subject they liked. My grandson decided to do a report on Army small arms. He pasted pictures of the Army guns on sheets of paper and included them as part of the report. He was reprimanded and almost sent home.

When is enough, enough. The schools claim the no tolerance rule is "to protect the children". Horse Apples, the no tolerance rule is just to protecta school's Gluteus Maximi so that the school district does not get sued for dereliction. My opinion

scorpio_vette

imported post

saw that on the news this morning. ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT. waste a kids day sitting in the office instead of learning important stuff over a stupid 2" piece of plastic.

here's a picture put things in perspective a bit incase people haven't seen it on tv or in pictures yet.
LegoGun-MD.jpg

@Lammie---is that story about the military homework and getting in trouble true??? if that was the case, these retards should seriously think about what they are saying. they continuously thank soldiers for their services and protecting us, but then they tell kids that the military is bad and evil by getting them in trouble over a military weapons asignment???

man i can already see my kid getting detention or suspension on a daily basis. i'm sorry but i just won't see that being acceptable. there is a BIG difference between having a zero-tolerance policy against "weapons" that are dangerous, and using a zero-tolerance policy to ruin most of what is part of a childs life.

i mean think about it. tomorrow some kid is going to take a playmobile cop to work and get suspended over that. so what are we teaching now??? that kids should NOT want to become cops???

so a kid could get suspended for playing with this???
playmobil_police.jpg

playmobil_police.jpg

that's just beyond ridiculous. this country needs a serious natural disaster and medical crisis to set it back a few years. maybe when people have to start focusing on living off the land and WORKING for their food again, they'll stop wasting time on stupid bullshit like this.

do you kids also get in trouble for going to school with GI Joe t-shirts???

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

It's pretty funny that these little toys depicted armed police officers. Oh horror!

I'm suuuuure the school protects the children from the sight of armed police officers by making them check their guns at the door.

M

McX

imported post

I'm suuuuure the school protects the children from the sight of armed police officers by making them check their guns at the door.-quote

all points well taken. they make the police check their guns at our local court house while in court, i don't agree with that. posted it on the door- no firearms allowed, for the ones who don't know, nor obey the law. open carriers obey the law.

itty bitty toys don't pose a threat to national security.

Mr.arker

imported post

I don't know about this. First of all, this kid lives in New York and it looks like that weapon has a magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds. It also has a pistol grip. If it has bayonet stud or a flash supressor it would be totally illegal-unless it was a preban Lego.

Now if that boy was in Wisconsin, that weapon could be legal but possessing it on school grounds or within 1,000 feet of a school zone- that's a problem. He should be disarmed at gunpoint and thrown on the ground if necessary.
And if he keeps it in his pocket, he is carrying concealed.
If he has it in his possession while riding his bike, it best be unloaded, in a case and out of his immediate reach.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Ironically I believe the photo depicts the lego-policeman jailing the lego-boy for having the gall to bring a little 1-2 inch lego-gun to 4th grade.

The optimistic side of me likes to think it's the police tossing the Principal into the dumb-tank.

M

McX

imported post

and i'll be damned; look at the leggo picture on the wall in the leggo jail, it's that kwickrnu dude on the poster...............sorry man, bad joke.

M

McX

imported post

ya know, back in the day, we used to have some pretty elaborate civil war play sets. the ones with the plastic guys, cannons, horses. did that all day sometimes. i hear they're worth money on the bay now. suppose that's politically incorrect now huh?

then as i disgress, back in the day we used to have some neato chemistry sets, never see them anymore. suppose that pissed off the left too huh? juniors playing with his chemestry set, gonna blow up the world.

scorpio_vette

imported post

McX wrote:
ya know, back in the day, we used to have some pretty elaborate civil war play sets. the ones with the plastic guys, cannons, horses. did that all day sometimes. i hear they're worth money on the bay now. suppose that's politically incorrect now huh?

then as i disgress, back in the day we used to have some neato chemistry sets, never see them anymore. suppose that pissed off the left too huh? juniors playing with his chemestry set, gonna blow up the world.

no kidding. i remember playing with fire, flammables, explosives, etc.... in school during science class. don't get to do that anymore nowadays.

what about cops and robbers??? are kids still allowed to play that nowadays??? do parents still allow that???

did you know that throwing a snowball in some parts if not all of wisconsin is illegal??? really............a snowball??? so what are kids supposed to do with the snow now???

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
McX wrote:

no kidding. i remember playing with fire, flammables, explosives, etc.... in school during science class. don't get to do that anymore nowadays.

what about cops and robbers??? are kids still allowed to play that nowadays??? do parents still allow that???

did you know that throwing a snowball in some parts if not all of wisconsin is illegal??? really............a snowball??? so what are kids supposed to do with the snow now???
I'm afraid a lot of kids these days think the only benefit of snow is to have a snow day so they can sit in front of the tv or video games. Otherwise, to them snow is only something they have to trudge through to get to their TV or video game.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Lammie wrote:
This article is from the Staten Island Advance

NO TOLERANCE FOR TRIFLES
Big brouhaha over tiny toy gun
Fourth-grader narrowly avoids suspension for 2-inch plastic 'weapon' in South Beach school
Wednesday, February 03, 2010
By AMISHA PADNANI
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A 9-year-old New Dorp boy learned there is no wiggle room in the Department of Education's "no toy gun" policy -- even if the toy gun is just two inches long.

Patrick Timoney, a fourth-grader at PS 52, South Beach, was nearly suspended yesterday after playing with LEGOs during his lunch period because one of the action figures was carrying a toy machine gun.

He and his friends had planned a playdate with their respective toys, and were sitting around the cafeteria table when the principal walked in and saw the action figure carrying the fake gun.

While the action figure was a standard LEGO policeman figure, the brand of the gun could not be determined.

"She took him into her office in the middle of the lunch period and he was crying," said the boy's mother, Laura Timoney. "He was afraid."

The principal called Ms. Timoney and said she considered the toy suspension-worthy, and that she was going to double-check with a security administrator from the city Department of Education.

According to Ms. Timoney, the administrator said the toy should be confiscated and returned to the parents at the end of the day, and that no other action was necessary.

"It's crazy," Ms. Timoney said. "He's missing class time, all for silly toys. The boys are just trying to relax. If there's a real threat, why not call the Police Department?" She pointed out that another child had an action figure that was holding an ax, but that only Patrick was reprimanded.

"When are we going to take responsibility for common sense and logic?" Ms. Timoney said.

The DOE's discipline code says that all imitation weap- ons are prohibited, but, be-fore considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.

A message left for Principal Evelyn Matroianni was not returned. However, Margie Feinberg, a spokeswoman for the DOE, said there is a no-tolerance policy when it comes to fake guns because they are considered harmful to the school community.

"Toy guns are not allowed in schools," she said, adding that a conference was held among the principal, the parents and the student about the topic.

"The issue was resolved," Ms. Feinberg said. "The child will not be bringing the toy gun into school."

Amisha Padnani covers education news for the Advance. She may be reached at padnani@siadvance.com.

Doesn'tthat frost the pumpkin?

I had a similar situation happen in my family. My 11 year old grandson was reprimanded under a no tolerance rule in a Wisconsin school. He is allways playing army and wants nothing more than to grow up so he can join up. Recently the students in his class were asked to write a report on a subject they liked. My grandson decided to do a report on Army small arms. He pasted pictures of the Army guns on sheets of paper and included them as part of the report. He was reprimanded and almost sent home.

When is enough, enough. The schools claim the no tolerance rule is "to protect the children". Horse Apples, the no tolerance rule is just to protecta school's Gluteus Maximi so that the school district does not get sued for dereliction. My opinion
Sounds like a violation of his first amendment rights IMHO.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

mr. parker wrote:
I don't know about this. First of all, this kid lives in New York and it looks like that weapon has a magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds. It also has a pistol grip. If it has bayonet stud or a flash supressor it would be totally illegal-unless it was a preban Lego.

Now if that boy was in Wisconsin, that weapon could be legal but possessing it on school grounds or within 1,000 feet of a school zone- that's a problem. He should be disarmed at gunpoint and thrown on the ground if necessary.
And if he keeps it in his pocket, he is carrying concealed.
If he has it in his possession while riding his bike, it best be unloaded, in a case and out of his immediate reach.
+1000

Hahahah! Too funny!