• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Carolina, ... WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

"The Raw Story reports that terrorists who want to overthrow the United States government must now register with South Carolina's Secretary of State and declare their intentions — or face a $25,000 fine and up to 10 years in prison. The 'Subversive Activities Registration Act' passed last year in South Carolina and now officially on the books states that 'every member of a subversive organization, or an organization subject to foreign control, every foreign agent and every person who advocates, teaches, advises or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States ... shall register with the Secretary of State.'"

LINK TO FULL STORY
http://rawstory.com/2010/02/south-carolinas-subversive-activities-registration-act-force/

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

The question is, anyone that has "offending" views of the government, or group with rebel flags that say "South will rise again," can this be used to deny our rights? One can make a good case on just about anyone. Depending on how you take it, a traffic stop can be turned into a huge fine and prison.

M

McX

imported post

your attention please; anyone, with any thoughts, ideas, goals, or desires left of center will be taken in for questioning. aww, man, were all gonna end up on someone's no fly list.

KBCraig

imported post

How about this:

"Dear South Carolina,

"I am actively conspiring to overthrow the current U.S. Government by encouraging everyone I know to vote against every incumbent candidate in every national election.

"Please inform me where I should remit my subversive permit, because the sooner I refuse to do so, the better.

"Regards, ..."

PT111

imported post

I haven't followed up on this but it appears to be one of those laws we all consider dumb until we find out the true intention and hopefully doesn't get screwed up and catch innocent people; For instance the FBI could never get anything on Al Capone until they decided to use the IRS and get him for tax evasion. In this case they may not be able to prove someone was a terrorist bomber but they can lock him up for not registering. Hopefully this doens't turn into a RICO type law where something not even close to organized crime becomes a major lawsuit or a drunk taking a leak in an alley becomes a registered sex pervert for life having to notify the sheriff every time he drives by a day care.

TheMrMitch

imported post

It's probably a "catchall" law. MJ growers are invited to get a tax stamp, and if caught without it, they're guilty without even a trial. They can be held without much ado until REAL charges can be brought. I think.:shock:

PT111

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
It's probably a "catchall" law. MJ growers are invited to get a tax stamp, and if caught without it, they're guilty without even a trial. They can be held without much ado until REAL charges can be brought. I think.:shock:
I think this is about it. In SC most types of gambling is illegal but you are required to report any winnings on your taxes. You can take off your loses up to the amount won. ;) If you get charged for being involved in a poker game you might get out of the charges on a technicality but you still have the tax thing hangin over you. The MJ tax stamp in some states is a similar deal. Just a way to add another layer of prosecution on someone to promote cutting a deal for the DA.