• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blaze Orange Day at the WI State Capitol

hduc2005

imported post

February 23rd---Blaze Orange Day in the State Capitol

Assembly Override of the Governor's Veto of the Bill
Restoring the Appointment Authority of the DNR Secretary]
to the Natural Resources Board]

All Hands on Deck

Dear Conservationist:

This is it !We have all worked hard to pass Assembly Bill 138 restoring the DNR
Secretary appointment authority back to the Natural Resources Board. The Bill passed
both legislative houses with wide margins but then unfortunately was vetoed by the
Governor.

Now is the time to Override theGovernor's Veto! The Assembly will be holding a vote
to override the veto on Tuesday, February 23rd.

The vote will be very close and it is critically important that Wisconsin sportsmen and
women are there in large numbers to impress their legislators that they want the bill to
becomelaw. The opponents are using all kind of excuses like they want another bill
passedfirst or they don't like an amendment, but the bottom line is that the bill in its
current form is a good one that has the support of ninety percent of Wisconsin hunters,
anglers and trappers.

Come down to the Capitol on Tuesday,February 23rd.Wear your blaze orange
Meet on the first floor Rotunda at 9:30 am, then stop by your representative's office,
then joina Blaze Orange Press Conference. Then we will all wait next to the Assembly
Chambers to encourage our representatives tooverride theveto.

We Need to Fill the Capitol !

Pass this message on to all your friends and relatives, share a ride.

It is important that every county be represented so thatrepresentatives from
throughout the state know that this is important to conservationists in their legislative
districts.

Support The 2nd

imported post

B.S.

You have got to be kidding me! The "hunters" who refuse to stand with the Personal Protection Advocates (PPA), now want us to stand with them?:what:

Where was the call for a blaze orange march when Parra, Krause, Yates, and others were arrested for breaking no law?

How many of these "blaze orange" marchers carry?

How many support/believe the FALSE statement released by the NRA http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/37970.html the other day?

How many are calling the NRA demanding they tell the truth?

Until the hunters come out in force to support those who carry for personal protection, I will not support them.

Divided we will fall, but we will all fall together.

hduc2005

imported post

I for one am a hunter, and just found out about my right to carry openly and support both now so with that being said WE NEED TO SPREAD THE WORD

I feel playing the you don't help me so I won't help you is what will defeat both the parties.

I need to ask how many of us have gone to gun sporting events, or gun clubs to pass the information to them? I am a broad member on our pheasants forever chapter, a avid sporting clays shooter that belongs to two gun clubs and I have printed up a bunch of the right to carry pamphlets that I got from here to pass out I also have been putting up them on bulletin boards at my local stores

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree here, divisiveness is NOT what we need. We need to be talking to the Pheasants Forever, White Tails unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, and other similar organizations. Go to the banquet dinners, meet with the organizers in advance, and ask if you can simply place the pamphlets on each table.

As hduc2005 has suggested, we need to attend local Rod & Gun club meetings, hand out the information there. Ask them to include a reference to the lawsuit in their next news letter. This is how we move forward and advance our rights, not by pointing fingers.

Remember, when you point one finger at someone, there are four more pointing right back at you.

BUT:

I agree with "support" as well when he/she implies we need to hold the NRA and others to task when they try to mislead the public.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I agree here, divisiveness is NOT what we need. We need to be talking to the Pheasants Forever, White Tails unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, and other similar organizations. Go to the banquet dinners, meet with the organizers in advance, and ask if you can simply place the pamphlets on each table.

Did this come from the NRA or former DNR Secretary and Chief Warden George Meyer's group?

The Bear Hunters group always seem to appear at the Capitol to provide testimony in favor of protecting firearm owner rights. A big:celebrateto them.

safcrkr

imported post

I'm baffled as to what makes anyone think that the majority of hunters in WI don't support the right to carry, either OC, or CC, or both?:banghead: I live in the far north, so things may be "differant" here than in the southern part of the state... but I don't know manygun ownersup here who don't hunt, and not a single hunter I've ever met does not support carry rights. I vehemently support the RTC in WI. For the record, I've belonged to the NRA since 1968, Whitetails Unlimited since the early 90's, and DU since the 80's. I'm a "newby" in the Wild Turkey Federation... only been a member there for about 5 years. My first WI deer season was at age 14, in 1964, and I've missed only one season since (1970).

When the last PPA had the joint legislative committee hearings in the capitol, I was there. I had to get up at 4:00am to get to Madison by 9:30 (that's earlier than I usually getup to go hunting). I stayed til the end, not getting back home til 1:00am or so. I rode down there in my hunting partner's Jeep, with him and another hunting buddy. We parked in a public garage near the capitol building, and noticed quite a few other vehicles parked there with the DU duck head decal, andsome others with the WTU decals (our Jeep had both). I'm pretty sure those vehicles' owners were there for the same thing we were. I have the luxury of being self-employed, so I was able to take the day off, and my partnerswere both retired. I'd venture to say that the majority of hunters work for a living, and it's pretty hard to get a day off for "political" reasons. While we were there we picked up some petition forms to take back north and fill up, and give to our representatives. Those petition forms were printed up and passed out by the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation. I'm pretty sure that's made up of hunters, isn't it?

Anybody who thinks the big majority of hunters don't support carry rights probably thinks Doyle's pre-election publicity group "Sportsmen for Doyle" wasn't a sham.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I never said the "hunters" didn't support us, I know many who do but I also agree with hduc2005, there are many hunters that only OC in the woods because the didn't/don't know they could carry.

I believe the MAIN reason that CC is in the news again, is because of the ever increasing numbers of people who are OC in urban environments.

Don't misunderstand, I support all groups working to advance gun rights in Wisconsin, BUT when the NRA publishes an article like the one found here: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nra-final-2-states-without-right-to-carry-gun-laws-will-fall which NEVER mentions "concealed" at all implying that there is no ability to carry in Wisconsin, then they must be held accountable.

When they are called on the carpet about the article, and their response is, "well we were talking about "concealed" carry (the word never appears in the article) then it is even more obvious that their intent is to mislead.

Some of the other organizations maybe only pro-concealed carry, failing to educate their members about the EXISTING "open carry" rights we already have. That is why I suggested approaching all these other organizations and asking if we could distribute our information pamphlets at there banquets.

hduc2005

imported post

I was thinking do you think the NRA didn't mention open carry, because some people might say well if you can OC in WI then why should we vote for CC? Some people will then think there needs to be no change just a thought

safcrkr

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I never said the "hunters" didn't support us, I know many who do but I also agree with hduc2005, there are many hunters that only OC in the woods because the didn't/don't know they could carry.

I believe the MAIN reason that CC is in the news again, is because of the ever increasing numbers of people who are OC in urban environments.

Don't misunderstand, I support all groups working to advance gun rights in Wisconsin, BUT when the NRA publishes an article like the one found here: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nra-final-2-states-without-right-to-carry-gun-laws-will-fall which NEVER mentions "concealed" at all implying that there is no ability to carry in Wisconsin, then they must be held accountable.

When they are called on the carpet about the article, and their response is, "well we were talking about "concealed" carry (the word never appears in the article) then it is even more obvious that their intent is to mislead.

Some of the other organizations maybe only pro-concealed carry, failing to educate their members about the EXISTING "open carry" rights we already have. That is why I suggested approaching all these other organizations and asking if we could distribute our information pamphlets at there banquets.

Iagree. It's why I supported the idea of open carry marches, picnics, etc. 5 years ago, when the legislature was considering CC.... I felt back then that nothing would get the point across better.

Maybe they are trying to mislead. But for what purpose? If it's not to dissuade people from OCing, but to rile up voters in WI & IL to think they're being singled out as being less fit to handle the responsibility to CC than those in 48 other states, then I say - so what? We've already got OC. Should we stop there and be satisfied with OC, or push on for CC as well? Personally, I won't be satisfied with anything less than what's known as "Alaska" type carry laws. Until we have that, I'll keep fighting on. And considering the outright lies used by our opposition, I see the NRA's omission a minor thing.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

safcrkr wrote:
Personally, I won't be satisfied with anything less than what's known as "Alaska" type carry laws. Until we have that, I'll keep fighting on. And considering the outright lies used by our opposition, I see the NRA's omission a minor thing.
We are on the EXACT SAME PAGE HERE. An AK style system IS the goal. There are many on this forum that believe it is the $$$$ that drives the NRA to omit a single word and thus provide mis-information.

Let's just say this is the first article I've read in a while. After I read that, the NRA says I cannot carry. Will I? Heck no, the NRA says I can't. That is misleading.

As I stated, there are many here who believe it's all about the $$$ If you "pay the piper" then you can carry (not a right, but a privilege). Why did the 2003 bill state:

2. Successfully completed a National Rifle Association firearm training or
firearm safety course or class.
3. Successfully completed a firearm training or firearm safety course or class
conducted by an instructor certified either by the state in which the course or class
was conducted or by the National Rifle Association.

I think the NRA thinks that as more people OC in Wisconsin, the chances of them getting training $$$ dwindles. I believe it is exactly the opposite.

So the question that has been asked for the last 12 years but quite regularly within the last two is; why doesn't the NRA come out in support of OC in Wisconsin?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
when the NRA publishes an article like the one found here: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nra-final-2-states-without-right-to-carry-gun-laws-will-fall which NEVER mentions "concealed" at all implying that there is no ability to carry in Wisconsin, then they must be held accountable.

I agree and where is the NRA Wisconsin liaison at the days? Jordan Austin. Where is he? What happened to trying to get legislation moving in January? It is nothing more than a load of BS. The fact is the NRA knows just as DA Chisholm knows that after March 2nd when the SCOTUS decides in favor of McDonald it will be over for these unconstitutional gun laws of Wisconsin. Fact is a No compromise/ Non-permitted system doesn't seem all that impossible now does it? In fact, a decision in favor of McDonald could very well mean that any law prohibiting a lawful individual from OC or CCW would be obsolete and unenforceable.

With the McDonald case and the law suit for the GFSZ ( Which I am sure will be another victory) we will be set for a AK/VT type system. Unless we are all naive and give our rights away just as we have done in the past.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I think the NRA thinks that as more people OC in Wisconsin, the chances of them getting training $$$ dwindles. I believe it is exactly the opposite.

So the question that has been asked for the last 12 years but quite regularly within the last two is; why doesn't the NRA come out in support of OC in Wisconsin?
+ 1 :exclaim: