• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry a shotgun?

Lewis10

imported post

Hi I'm new to open carry and i was wondering if I can carry a shotgun and or a pistol. I live in Ohio. I am 18 and I know you cant own a pistol until 21? I'm a little confused with this. Any thing would be of help. Thanks

CarryOpen

imported post

Lewis10 wrote:
Hi I'm new to open carry and i was wondering if I can carry a shotgun and or a pistol. I live in Ohio. I am 18 and I know you cant own a pistol until 21? I'm a little confused with this. Any thing would be of help. Thanks
You'll need to do research in your local area to determine what you can legally carry, if you can legally carry. You do not have to be 21 to own a pistol by federal law.

dr4wd50

imported post

Possession and carry are two different things. In your home or inyour vehicleare also two different things. I don't know anywhere you can have a loaded rifle/shotgun in you vehicle, but you can have a loaded handgun, depending on the state law where you are.

:D

sovereigngrace

imported post

In my state (NC) I can own and carry a pistol when I'm 18 but can't buy a pistol or pistol ammo till I'm 21. (Its crazy)

Anyway IDK what the law is where your at.

Also it might not be a good idea to carry a shotty or rife.
They might get you for GATTOP

t33j

imported post

sovereigngrace wrote:
In my state (NC) I can own and carry a pistol when I'm 18 but can't buy a pistol or pistol ammo till I'm 21. (Its crazy)

Don't think they have to worry about GATTOP in Ohio. Is it actually in the NC code that you can't possess ammo until 21, or are you just saying that because you can't buy it from the store?

sovereigngrace

imported post

t33j wrote:
sovereigngrace wrote:

Don't think they have to worry about GATTOP in Ohio. Is it actually in the NC code that you can't possess ammo until 21, or are you just saying that because you can't buy it from the store?

I live In Haywood county so guns are never a problem for anyone,
But I work in west Asheville and there are a lot of yahoos down there.
So GATTOP is a real possibility

CarryOpen

imported post

Read up on GAttTotP, there is no basis for the charge if you're carrying lawfully, no matter how people feel about it.

t33j

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Read up on GAttTotP, there is no basis for the charge if you're carrying lawfully, no matter how people feel about it.
That, and I don't think Ohio has a GATTTOTP law.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Going Armed to The Terror of the People is a common law charge that comes from English Common Law Tradition.

The law requires you to Armed yourself with a dangerous or exotic weapon(firearms count) with the intent to cause terror and then go about a public highway in a manner of which to cause terror.

Since the charge requires you to beproven to havemalicious intent, its a pretty difficult charge to give out on its own.

scorpio_vette

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
Going Armed to The Terror of the People is a common law charge that comes from English  Common Law Tradition.

The law requires you to Armed yourself with a dangerous or exotic weapon(firearms count) with the intent to cause terror and then go about a public highway in a manner of which to cause terror.

Since the charge requires you to be proven to have malicious intent, its a pretty difficult charge to give out on its own.

thanks. and wow...........