• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notify a LEO when you are armed?

ctfireman

imported post

Sorry if this subject is covered already but i didn't see it anywhere. Are we obligated to notify LEO's if we are pulled over here in Connecticut? Is there a certain way it should be handled?

mrjam2jab

imported post

In the state of CT...you are NOT obligated to disclose the fact that you are carrying to LEO. There are other states where it is required by law.

You will find this to be a topic of contention with both sides...those who say you should notify, and those who say you shouldnt...all having legitimate reasoning.

Personally, i would say if the situation has nothing to do with the fact you are carrying...ie routine car stop...then you would be just fine not mentioning it.

buketdude

imported post

I would say unless they ask, don't tell. I have been in 2 incidents where they did ask if weapons were in the car..i was not the driver but I did inform them I was carrying. One time the officer took my permit and went back to his car for a minute..the other time he just looked at it and gave it back. Neither time did they ask to see my gun or have me step out of car...I quite honestly think if you have a permit they really don't care....neither treated me any differently when i told them i was armed.