• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks Las Vegas OC meet up?

irish

imported post

I haven't participated in this forum for a while due to other obligations so if this has been posted I apologize.

I've noticed a myriad of articles in different papers regarding Starbucks and their support of open carry in their coffee shops. I'm not a huge fan of their coffee but it seems like it would be a good way to get the OC cause in the eyes of the local press if they follow suit. The articles listed below are from WA, CA, WY, OHand all with positive spins on Starbucks and their corporate policy of allowing OC in their stores directly in the face of the Brady Campaign who's been fighting against Starbucks and their policy.

Since Starbucks has stood up and shown it's support for Open Carry I think we should do the same. Who'd be willing to meet up for a cup of coffee or espresso double whipped, latte, extra hot, non-fat, low sugar, extra foam :celebrateor whatever they're calling them this month? Where's a large Starbucks that would be a central location and provide ample seating? In my opinion we needn't do anything other than buy a beverage, read a newspaper and be OC'ing to make a positive statement. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/guns-and-starbucks-espres_b_454312.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-25069-Cheyenne-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d9-Starbucks-gets-a-thumbsup-in-Wyoming

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7112

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/stop-the-madness-radical-gun-owners-bringing-weapons-into-starbucks

http://www.alternet.org/rights/145616/starbucks'_cop-out_to_gun_nuts:_customers_served_coffee_while_strapped/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/crazy-continues-starbucks-still-allowing-guns-in-its-stores

Remmy

imported post

Id be very interested in this. I'm in the South West, Southern Highlands, part of the valley. I do know there is a pretty decent 24 x7 Starbucks off Decatur and i think Tropicana, lots of room inside and outside I prefer to sit outside usually to enjoy a cigerette and of course theres wifi available.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

I just recieved a call from "Dutch Uncle" from this forum, he is visiting Vegas from VA, and would like to get together tomorrow eve. 2/12/2010 say 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. We could check out that Starbucks you were talking about, or get somthing to eat or both.

Remmy

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
I just recieved a call from "Dutch Uncle" from this forum, he is visiting Vegas from VA, and would like to get together tomorrow eve. 2/12/2010 say 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. We could check out that Starbucks you were talking about, or get somthing to eat or both.
Im free at that time, if yall know another starbucks lemme know but here is the address in case anyone needed it

4985 West Tropicana Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89103-7073(702) 220-7805‎

Ill be there at about 6pm or so tonight Friday that is 2/12/2010 :lol:

Pikachu711

imported post

I'm off today so I should be able to make this meeting at Starbucks.I look forward to meeting you.

irish

imported post

I'mtentatively taking the wife out for an early Valentine's day date tonight due to our conflicting schedules this weekend. However, we will stop by on our way out to show our support and I'll make sure to say something postitive to management while I'm there. I won't be OC'ing due to the fact that we'll be having a couple cocktails.

If the date night falls through I'll definitely be there as well. I'm in the SW part of the valley by Rhodes Ranch. Take care!

Pikachu711

imported post

It was great meeting you tonite. In the future it would be nice to have more opportunities to get together for these events.

Remmy

imported post

great meeting everyone too! would love to start meeting regularly. No pics sadly perhaps next time we can get some snap shots. No one went screaming for the hills in fear!

irish

imported post

My apologies on not being able to make it. I'll definitely be trying to work out mycrazy schedule next time to be part of it. Stay safe.

Remmy

imported post

No apologies needed we all have lives and sometimes those lives get in the way of such things. Id like to do it again had some great conversations. What date would be best for yall here I work night shift 7pm to 3am but off friday and saturdays. Im not sure what everyone else will say but the starbucks we went to was pretty decent and not very far to get to from anywhere in the valley if you ask me.

Pikachu711

imported post

For the time being, I'm off on Wed/Thu/Fri each week. Maybe we should schedule something on various days of the week to be fair to everyone. We all have different schedules. If we rotate the days & locationswe meetwe can be fair to all who want to meet at variousStarbucks if that's theplace we choose to meet.

If I'm off, I'll try my best to attend as many get-togethers as long as it doesn't conflict with my work schedule. Let's see what we can arrange. It would be fun to get together once in a while and shoot the breeze!

irish

imported post

I have weekends off but typically travel a lot during the week. I'm curious to know what the reaction was from the Starbuck's employees? What about other patrons? Did anyone get any pictures? What about the possibility of alerting local media to garner more attention next time?

Remmy

imported post

the reaction, well i didnt see any reaction at all. There were a few passerbys that took longer glances that starbucks has a high foot traffic. LEO was all over the place but thats common for that part of town being so close to the strip.

Pikachu711

imported post

I saw very little if any reaction to any of us OC'ing at all. Aside from a few passing glances & nothing being mentioned to any of us it went very well.

When I first arrived a Starbucks a customer asked me if today was "Open Carry" day at Starbucks. He had a handgun at home& was going to return with him OC'ing as well. He didn't return so I guess he had other plans or had a change of heart about joining our informal OC group. That was a fun experience having a positive comment from a customer who wanted to join our group. Maybe our next get-together will have more attendees.

I saw noone running in fear, calling Metro, being intimidated by the five of us sitting at our table. I do believe that the Brady people have a very low opinion of the average person we encountered at that particular Starbucks. Maybe we didn't look intimidating enough! lol

varminter22

imported post

In response to my email praising Starbucks for its current pro-gun policy and urging them to maintain it, I received the following:
Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.

Customer Relations

Starbucks Coffee Company

800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM (PST)
Seems a bit too "generic" and "middle-of-the-road" - especially the part about "counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue."

I sure hope they don't cave in ...

irish

imported post

I'll be out of town for a couple of days but I will be back on Friday afternoon. Any thoughts of a meetup this coming Friday thru Saturday?