• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting on Road?

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

This has probably been posted somewhere here before not sure? The law states no shooting within 450ft of a rd. However I am interested in regards to walking down a road with a loaded firearm. Can someone enlighten me please. Is there a statue for this?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
This has probably been posted somewhere here before not sure? The law states no shooting within 450ft of a rd. However I am interested in regards to walking down a road with a loaded firearm. Can someone enlighten me please. Is there a statue for this?

[align=left]324.73103 Discharging firearm within right-of-way of public highway abutting certain property; consent; “public highway” defined.[/align]

[align=left]Sec. 73103. (1) A person shall not discharge a firearm within the right-of-way of a public highway adjoining or abutting any platted property, fenced, enclosed, or posted property, farm property, or a wooded area connected to farm property without the consent of the owner of the abutting property or his or her lessee or agent.[/align]
[align=left](2) As used in this section, “public highway” means a road or highway under the jurisdiction of the state transportation department, the road commission of a county, or of a local unit of government.[/align]

[align=left]History:
Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995.[/align]
[align=left]Popular name:
Act 451[/align]
[align=left]Popular name:
NREPA[/align]
Popular name:
Recreational Trespass Act

It only states that you can not discharge a firearm. It doesn't mention anything about the firearm being unloaded.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

OK so it will fall under OCing. Now I have another question. If your walking down a county rd (dirt road) with say a shotgun, loaded. Your wearing hunter orange obvisouly a hunter. Does the no ID required still apply to a DNR officer? IE your hunting license?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
OK so it will fall under OCing. Now I have another question. If your walking down a county rd (dirt road) with say a shotgun, loaded. Your wearing hunter orange obvisouly a hunter. Does the no ID required still apply to a DNR officer? IE your hunting license?

I don't have the cites in front of me right now, but I know there are times you can not be in possess of your long gun during certain deer hunting times/zones. You're legal to carry your pistol as long as you are not attempting to take game.

ETA: Without a hunting license, of course.

jfrenchudm

imported post

I don't have a cite, and I really don't have time to look for it right now, but I am pretty sure that hunting along a road is legal, provided both sides of the road are owned by either you or the state (provided the land is legal to hunt on), or you own one side, and the state owns the other. Distances from buildings still need to be taken into consideration.

warrior1978

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
324.43516 Hunting, fur harvester, or fishing license; carrying license; exhibiting license on demand; firearm deer license with unused kill tag; exhibiting tag on request.Sec. 43516.
(1) A person who has been issued a hunting, fur harvester's, or fishing license shall carry the license and shall exhibit the license upon the demand of a conservation officer, a law enforcement officer, or the owner or occupant of the land if either or both of the following apply:
(a) The person is hunting, trapping, or fishing.
(b) Subject to section 43510(2) and except as provided in section 43513, the person is in possession of a firearm or other hunting or trapping apparatus or fishing apparatus in an area frequented by wild animals or fish, respectively.
(2) Subject to section 43510(2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or possess afield a shotgun with buckshot, slug loads, or ball loads; a bow and arrow; a muzzle-loading rifle or black powder handgun; or a centerfire handgun or centerfire rifle during firearm deer season unless that person has a valid firearm deer license, with an unused kill tag, if issued, issued in his or her name. The person shall exhibit an unused kill tag, if issued, upon the request of a conservation officer, a law enforcement officer, or the owner or occupant of the land.

324.43505 Definitions; H to N.Sec. 43505.
(1) "Hunt" and "hunting" mean to pursue, capture, shoot, kill, chase, follow, harass, harm, rob, or trap a wild animal, or to attempt to engage in such an activity.